Ebola - God cured me!

I explained why the 10 commandments are valid to Christians I showed you the new testament verses in relation to them

You've said that the Old Testament was only meant for the Jewish people (but you can't seem to show where the Bible says this) then you've said that some of the old testament is meant for everyone. Regardless of your Bible spam passages, you're still contradicting yourself.

If the laws of the Old Testament do not count and we are living in grace, what did Jesus mean by this?...

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them.

5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

5:19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Edited by RootsBooster

We all know the Old Testament (OT) allowed the owning of slaves, beating of slaves and selling them on.

Can you point to where Jesus said in the New Testamant that the people should stop owning slaves?

If it isn't there (Clue: it isn't) at what point was it decided that slave ownership wasn't allowed despite it being clearly allowed in the OT?

says about slavery

Since many of the early Christians were slaves to Romans,8 they were encouraged to become free if possible, but not worry about it if not possible.9 The Roman empire practiced involuntary slavery, so rules were established for Christians who were subject to this slavery or held slaves prior to becoming Christians. The rules established for slaves were similar to those established for other Christians with regard to being subject to governing authorities.10 Slaves were told to be obedient to their master and serve them sincerely, as if serving the Lord Himself.11 Paul instructed slaves to serve with honor, so that Christianity would not be looked down upon.12

As with slaves, instructions were given to their masters as to how they were to treat their slaves. For example, they were not to be threatened,13 but treated with justice and fairness.14 The text goes on to explain that this was to be done because God is the Master of all people, and does not show partiality on the basis of social status or position.13, 14

There is an interesting letter in the New Testament (Philemon15-21) that gives some insight into the problems encountered in the early Christian church regarding the issue of slavery. Paul, the author of the letter, is writing from a Roman prison awaiting trial.15 He is writing to Philemon, who runs a local Christian church out of his house16 (since Christianity was highly persecuted at this point in time). Philemon, we find out, is the master of the slave Onesimus, who has escaped but has been converted to Christianity by Paul.18 In the letter, Paul indicates that he is sending Onesimus back to Philemon.19 However, Paul says that he has confidence that Philemon will "do what is proper"17 although Paul wants him to do it by his "own free will".20 Even so, Paul indicates that Onesimus would be a great aid in helping him spread the gospel.19 Paul ends the letter by saying that he has "confidence in your obedience" and indicates that he knows Philemon "will do even more than what I say."21 Although Paul did not directly order Philemon to release Onesimus from slavery, it would have been difficult to come away with any other conclusion from his letter.

God does not distinguish between slaves and freemen

7 Truths that Changed the World: Discovering Christianity's Most Dangerous IdeasContrary to the claims of many skeptics, the New Testament proclaims that all people are equal in the eyes of God - even slaves:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)

knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free. (Ephesians 6:8)

And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him. (Ephesians 6:9)

a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all. (Colossians 3:11)

Conclusion Top of page

The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false. In fact, anybody who was caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed. However, since voluntary slavery was widely practiced during biblical times, the Bible proscribes laws to protect the lives and health of slaves. Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Christian Philemon to release his Christian slave from his service to "do what is proper". In addition, numerous verses from the New Testament show that God values slaves as much as any free person and is not partial to anyone's standing before other people.

---------- Post added 22-12-2015 at 15:57 ----------

You've said that the Old Testament was only meant for the Jewish people (but you can't seem to show where the Bible says this) then you've said that some of the old testament is meant for everyone. Regardless of your Bible spam passages, you're still contradicting yourself.

If the laws of the Old Testament do not count and we are living in grace, what did Jesus mean by this?...

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 1:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...” Lev 4:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...” Lev 11:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...” Lev 12:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 15:2

“Speak unto Aaron, and unto his sons, and unto all the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 17:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 18:2

“Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 19:2

“Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel...” Lev 20:2

“Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron...” Lev 21:1

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 23:2

“Command the children of Israel...” Lev 24:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 25:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 27:2

Leviticus is written specifically for the children of Israel, containing laws and rules for Israel to obey as they prepare to occupy the land of Canaan.

Moses with the Ten Commandments.

Does God tell us, in the Bible, to whom the laws in Leviticus apply?

Yes, God states precisely, to whom Leviticus and the Law applied. Moses writes under inspiration, II Timothy 3:16-17.

“The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, [the Jewish nation] who are all of us here alive this day.” Deu 5:3.

“This day” was around 1450 BC, when Moses originally wrote the Law that God gave him on Mt. Sinai for the nation of Israel.

First, the law of Moses did not apply to anyone before God gave it to Moses.

Read Deuteronomy 5:3 again and let it sink into your heart. Adam and Eve, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were not under the law of Moses.

Second, God made His covenant of law, as given in Leviticus, in approximately 1450 BC, with Moses and the Jewish people who were getting ready to possess the land of Canaan, what we today call Israel.

The Holiness Code was not given to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. They lived hundreds of years before Moses.

The Holiness Code was not made with everyone living on earth. It was a specific covenant with a specific people, the Jews, at a specific time in history, for specific purposes related to the specific situation in Palestine at that time.

The Molech idol, where pagans sacrificed their children to a false god.

The Holiness Code of Leviticus did not apply to anyone anywhere, until God gave it to Moses, for Israel to obey, in the land of Israel, Deuteronomy 4:5, 14, 5:31, 6:1.

Throughout Leviticus, Moses is speaking to the children of Israel, giving instructions for living in the land, under the Law. Moses is not setting down rules and regulations for Christians, in the twenty first century. The Holiness Code was intended to outlaw the pagan practices of fertility goddess cults in ancient Canaan.

It is important to distinguish between Jews and Christians as we interpret the Bible.

Christians do not show up in scripture until Acts 11:26, some fifteen hundred years after the Holiness Code was given.

Some of the Bible is written to Jews but not written to Christians. For example, we have demonstrated above, that Leviticus is written to Jews (the children of Israel).

The New Testament never instructs us that Christians must live under Jewish Law or that Christians must observe Jewish rituals practised by Old Testament Jews.

The Law Of Moses went out of force when Jesus died on the Cross.

Edited by teeny
adding info

says about slavery

Since many of the early Christians were slaves to Romans,8 they were encouraged to become free if possible, but not worry about it if not possible.9 The Roman empire practiced involuntary slavery, so rules were established for Christians who were subject to this slavery or held slaves prior to becoming Christians. The rules established for slaves were similar to those established for other Christians with regard to being subject to governing authorities.10 Slaves were told to be obedient to their master and serve them sincerely, as if serving the Lord Himself.11 Paul instructed slaves to serve with honor, so that Christianity would not be looked down upon.12

As with slaves, instructions were given to their masters as to how they were to treat their slaves. For example, they were not to be threatened,13 but treated with justice and fairness.14 The text goes on to explain that this was to be done because God is the Master of all people, and does not show partiality on the basis of social status or position.13, 14

There is an interesting letter in the New Testament (Philemon15-21) that gives some insight into the problems encountered in the early Christian church regarding the issue of slavery. Paul, the author of the letter, is writing from a Roman prison awaiting trial.15 He is writing to Philemon, who runs a local Christian church out of his house16 (since Christianity was highly persecuted at this point in time). Philemon, we find out, is the master of the slave Onesimus, who has escaped but has been converted to Christianity by Paul.18 In the letter, Paul indicates that he is sending Onesimus back to Philemon.19 However, Paul says that he has confidence that Philemon will "do what is proper"17 although Paul wants him to do it by his "own free will".20 Even so, Paul indicates that Onesimus would be a great aid in helping him spread the gospel.19 Paul ends the letter by saying that he has "confidence in your obedience" and indicates that he knows Philemon "will do even more than what I say."21 Although Paul did not directly order Philemon to release Onesimus from slavery, it would have been difficult to come away with any other conclusion from his letter.

God does not distinguish between slaves and freemen

7 Truths that Changed the World: Discovering Christianity's Most Dangerous IdeasContrary to the claims of many skeptics, the New Testament proclaims that all people are equal in the eyes of God - even slaves:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)

knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free. (Ephesians 6:8)

And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him. (Ephesians 6:9)

a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all. (Colossians 3:11)

Conclusion Top of page

The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false. In fact, anybody who was caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed. However, since voluntary slavery was widely practiced during biblical times, the Bible proscribes laws to protect the lives and health of slaves. Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Christian Philemon to release his Christian slave from his service to "do what is proper". In addition, numerous verses from the New Testament show that God values slaves as much as any free person and is not partial to anyone's standing before other people.

---------- Post added 22-12-2015 at 15:57 ----------

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 1:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...” Lev 4:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...” Lev 11:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...” Lev 12:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 15:2

“Speak unto Aaron, and unto his sons, and unto all the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 17:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 18:2

“Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 19:2

“Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel...” Lev 20:2

“Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron...” Lev 21:1

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 23:2

“Command the children of Israel...” Lev 24:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 25:2

“Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...” Lev 27:2

Leviticus is written specifically for the children of Israel, containing laws and rules for Israel to obey as they prepare to occupy the land of Canaan.

Moses with the Ten Commandments.

Does God tell us, in the Bible, to whom the laws in Leviticus apply?

Yes, God states precisely, to whom Leviticus and the Law applied. Moses writes under inspiration, II Timothy 3:16-17.

“The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, [the Jewish nation] who are all of us here alive this day.” Deu 5:3.

“This day” was around 1450 BC, when Moses originally wrote the Law that God gave him on Mt. Sinai for the nation of Israel.

First, the law of Moses did not apply to anyone before God gave it to Moses.

Read Deuteronomy 5:3 again and let it sink into your heart. Adam and Eve, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were not under the law of Moses.

Second, God made His covenant of law, as given in Leviticus, in approximately 1450 BC, with Moses and the Jewish people who were getting ready to possess the land of Canaan, what we today call Israel.

The Holiness Code was not given to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. They lived hundreds of years before Moses.

The Holiness Code was not made with everyone living on earth. It was a specific covenant with a specific people, the Jews, at a specific time in history, for specific purposes related to the specific situation in Palestine at that time.

The Molech idol, where pagans sacrificed their children to a false god.

The Holiness Code of Leviticus did not apply to anyone anywhere, until God gave it to Moses, for Israel to obey, in the land of Israel, Deuteronomy 4:5, 14, 5:31, 6:1.

Throughout Leviticus, Moses is speaking to the children of Israel, giving instructions for living in the land, under the Law. Moses is not setting down rules and regulations for Christians, in the twenty first century. The Holiness Code was intended to outlaw the pagan practices of fertility goddess cults in ancient Canaan.

It is important to distinguish between Jews and Christians as we interpret the Bible.

Christians do not show up in scripture until Acts 11:26, some fifteen hundred years after the Holiness Code was given.

Some of the Bible is written to Jews but not written to Christians. For example, we have demonstrated above, that Leviticus is written to Jews (the children of Israel).

The New Testament never instructs us that Christians must live under Jewish Law or that Christians must observe Jewish rituals practised by Old Testament Jews.

The Law Of Moses went out of force when Jesus died on the Cross.

Would you mind dropping the Bible spam for a moment please and answer clearly in your own words the question I asked, please?

Would you mind dropping the Bible spam for a moment please and answer clearly in your own words the question I asked, please?

you asked for the explanation that is the answer I am giving and this is what I believe to be the best way I can answer it for you however because I am a Christian I am going to give you a Christian answer from a biblical perspective. I have been answering in my own words which again you seem to find fault with , if you don't like how I am explaining then don't ask the question

I have been answering in my own words which again you seem to find fault with , if you don't like how I am explaining then don't ask the question

:o

1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in you hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear."

Just saying.

you asked for the explanation that is the answer I am giving and this is what I believe to be the best way I can answer it for you however because I am a Christian I am going to give you a Christian answer from a biblical perspective. I have been answering in my own words which again you seem to find fault with , if you don't like how I am explaining then don't ask the question

While we're at it, Timothy 2:12 'I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.'

Please don't be put off answering questions. I'd rather treat you as an equal.

While we're at it, Timothy 2:12 'I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.'

Please don't be put off answering questions. I'd rather treat you as an equal.

So much has been said in the past about what a woman cannot do that I have not spent a great deal of time reiterating those things. What really matters is what a woman can do in order to minister in the church. Let me make several suggestions.

First, a married woman can find fulfillment in the church by doing what she was designed to do. We have already said that it is not permitted for a woman to rule or have authority in the church, since this role has been assigned by God to men. I want you to notice a rather significant passage in the book of Genesis: “Then God said, ‘Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth’” (Gen. 1:26).

Did you notice that God said ‘Let them rule’? Man and woman were to rule over God’s creation, and thus both were created in God’s image. Woman’s subordinate role no more keeps her from participating in ruling the creation than our Lord’s subordination to the Father restricts Him from rule. But how is the woman to participate in ruling over creation? That is given in the second chapter of Genesis: “Then the LORD God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him’” (Gen. 2:18). Man was not complete without woman. God created woman for man, Eve for Adam, in order that she might complete him, and more importantly here, that she might help him to carry out his intended task. Woman does rule, but as the helper of her husband. No wonder it is assumed in the New Testament that elders are married. No wonder that in 1 Timothy 3:11 a part of the qualification of a deacon, and I think elders, too, is that their wives be godly women.

Here we come upon one of the great problems of the liberation movement, for it seems to me that both men and women are facing an identity crisis in which they want to know who they are. The difficulty is that men and women today refuse to marry and thereby to become one flesh. Men and women want to marry without losing their identity, but as I view the two becoming one flesh both the husband and the wife find their identity now as one flesh. Too many couples want the advantages of married life without any sacrifice so far as their individual rights are concerned.

According to the New Testament women cannot be leaders in the church, but they can help their husbands lead. Women should concentrate their efforts in the sphere of the home, and they should concentrate in the areas of ministry and service to others. Fulfillment is knowing your assigned role and then doing it to the glory of God. May God raise up godly women who will minister to and through their husbands, young women who will minister to those in need, older women who will minister to younger women, teaching them to be godly women and wives and mothers.

I have my husbands cover when I speak or teach in ministry

Edited by teeny

So much has been said in the past about what a woman cannot do that I have not spent a great deal of time reiterating those things. What really matters is what a woman can do in order to minister in the church. Let me make several suggestions.

First, a married woman can find fulfillment in the church by doing what she was designed to do. We have already said that it is not permitted for a woman to rule or have authority in the church, since this role has been assigned by God to men. I want you to notice a rather significant passage in the book of Genesis: “Then God said, ‘Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth’” (Gen. 1:26).

Did you notice that God said ‘Let them rule’? Man and woman were to rule over God’s creation, and thus both were created in God’s image. Woman’s subordinate role no more keeps her from participating in ruling the creation than our Lord’s subordination to the Father restricts Him from rule. But how is the woman to participate in ruling over creation? That is given in the second chapter of Genesis: “Then the LORD God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him’” (Gen. 2:18). Man was not complete without woman. God created woman for man, Eve for Adam, in order that she might complete him, and more importantly here, that she might help him to carry out his intended task. Woman does rule, but as the helper of her husband. No wonder it is assumed in the New Testament that elders are married. No wonder that in 1 Timothy 3:11 a part of the qualification of a deacon, and I think elders, too, is that their wives be godly women.

Here we come upon one of the great problems of the liberation movement, for it seems to me that both men and women are facing an identity crisis in which they want to know who they are. The difficulty is that men and women today refuse to marry and thereby to become one flesh. Men and women want to marry without losing their identity, but as I view the two becoming one flesh both the husband and the wife find their identity now as one flesh. Too many couples want the advantages of married life without any sacrifice so far as their individual rights are concerned.

According to the New Testament women cannot be leaders in the church, but they can help their husbands lead. Women should concentrate their efforts in the sphere of the home, and they should concentrate in the areas of ministry and service to others. Fulfillment is knowing your assigned role and then doing it to the glory of God. May God raise up godly women who will minister to and through their husbands, young women who will minister to those in need, older women who will minister to younger women, teaching them to be godly women and wives and mothers.

I have my husbands cover when I speak or teach in ministry

That's nice. As i said, I'd rather treat you as an equal, regardless of your gender.

That's nice. As i said, I'd rather treat you as an equal, regardless of your gender.

I think what Teeny is actually trying to say ,is that she is the partner of her husband but her husband has authority over her i.e. spiritual authority which means that if she teaches or prays or ministers for somebody in church she has the covering of her husband I think that is a very important truth something not to be taken likely woman have in the past and still do today try to behave as men which means that they often end up as the Head of the household which actually creates problems within the relationship between the husband and the wife it is an area of major conflict . Often husbands and wives do not work as partners big battle against each other and want to over each other but when they work as a team and that doesn't mean a strong woman is wrong , it really works well . Having read some of this thread I can clearly see many questions answered but answers not accepted . People have the freedom to say what they want in whatever way they want it's freedom of speech after all . A very interesting discussion .

I believe I heard this week that mother Theresa is going to be given sainthood because she had been involved and facilitated a miracle of healing that is proven healing of a man with multiple , Brain tumours in the name of Jesus Christ who heals people to day . That being the case , this miracle has been accepted by doctors , which means that clearly God heals today , this has been accepted by the team of people who have looked , studied and formulated a case .

Edited by Kensmith