What Defines Sheffield?

Proper Fishcakes not them silly rissole things

Abergavenny Thursday formed in 1908.

I very much doubt that the day Thursday was named after that football club.

it's defined by it's world wide famous cutlery but be aware it must say on the lade made in Sheffield most now are made in korea, were famous for our steel and stainless, all invented in Sheffield, famous for precision engineering and medical instruments, home of the famous Hendersons relish, also its 2 football clubs of which united is the better one unlike Leeds who only have one, sheffields only 10 miles from he peak district , it as more parks and woods than any other county which is known as gods own country mostly for it's friendly and hospitality atmosphere, not forgetting it's world famous night life with man clubs and pubs on places like west street, eccy road, and the leadmill enjoy what sheffied as to offer

Sometimes places are best appreciated by people who have visited or lived in other places as well. As one such person, what I appreciate about Sheffield is, it's a city but feels like a village, its diversity, its green spaces, it's where many of my friends live, its transport, its people and language/humour, and last but not least, its proximity to other places ....

It's pointless asking sheffielders what defines sheffield though isn't it - surely it's what other people who aren't totally familiar with sheffield think of us/it.

Why is it pointless to ask over half a million people in Sheffield what they think of their city ?

There are countless people outside Sheffield who also have a high regard for the city .

To try and define the attributes of both the city of Sheffield and its people is like asking what the world will be like in a thousand years from now - there is no definitive answer to either .Each and every one will have a different response , both positive and negative .

To everyone , in one respect or another, the grass will always be greener on the other side .

I have said it before and will say it again. Sheffield has had more than its fair share of problems thrown at it ,and it has come through them. That has been because of the grit and determination of its people . Long may it do so.

An irrational hatred of Leeds.

Nothing irrational about hating L***s .

This!

We Sheffielders boast that we hate L**ds, as if it is some noble characteristic to be proud of, when really, let's admit it... we're just envious of L**ds' financial and regional success.

Silly thing is, we actually think that L**ds folk look down on us with contempt... when they really look down us with pity :(

Yes, it's absolutely, completely, and utterly... irrational... and just a little bit paranoid :D

This!

We Sheffielders boast that we hate L**ds, as if it is some noble characteristic to be proud of, when really, let's admit it... we're just envious of L**ds' financial and regional success.

Silly thing is, we actually think that L**ds folk look down on us with contempt... when they really look down us with pity :(

Yes, it's absolutely, completely, and utterly... irrational... and just a little bit paranoid :D

This paranoia is born out of a long standing banter between two equally prestigious city's within our county and not Just the north.

Yes , Leeds is a proud City . Likewise so is Sheffield , each with a just cause to be so . Unfortunately some people take the banter to a serious extent.

Leeds is Leeds and Sheffield is Sheffield . Together they are a force to be reckoned with .... " United we stand " , doesn't that mean something ?

The " pity" to which you refer surely is born out of that paranoia.

What defines Sheffield? People wanting thing's cheap or for nowt! :hihi:

And Hyde Park Flats :D

it's defined by it's world wide famous cutlery but be aware it must say on the lade made in Sheffield most now are made in korea, were famous for our steel and stainless, all invented in Sheffield, famous for precision engineering and medical instruments, home of the famous Hendersons relish, also its 2 football clubs of which united is the better one unlike Leeds who only have one, sheffields only 10 miles from he peak district , it as more parks and woods than any other county which is known as gods own country mostly for it's friendly and hospitality atmosphere, not forgetting it's world famous night life with man clubs and pubs on places like west street, eccy road, and the leadmill enjoy what sheffied as to offer

1) Henderson's Relish is not famous. Very few people outside of the vacinity of Sheff have even heard of it.

2) World class nightlife? Is this a joke? World class? The city is known for having a terrible nightlife.

3) Wednesday are clearly better than United and have been for a generation.

4) it is known as "gods own country", only by Yorkshire people, it is ridiculous and arrogant. Much like the Jews who call themselves "God's chosen people" or Man U who call their stadium the "Theatre of Dreams"

I do agree with some of what you say at the beginning.

For the first time in a long time I drove across Sheffield, not round, from roughly one edge to the other. And it made me think. At one side you meadowhall, several junctions to a major motorway (which is more than York has for example) lots of industrial estates and the Peak District on the other side - which looked lovely today. I drove past places thinking "so that's where they meant on SF" - it was quite enlightening. The city centre remains a bit of dump but one or two places look like they're trying to buck the trend.

So yeah, Sheffield. Not as bad as I thought.

1) Henderson's Relish is not famous. Very few people outside of the vacinity of Sheff have even heard of it.

2) World class nightlife? Is this a joke? World class? The city is known for having a terrible nightlife.

3) Wednesday are clearly better than United and have been for a generation.

4) it is known as "gods own country", only by Yorkshire people, it is ridiculous and arrogant. Much like the Jews who call themselves "God's chosen people" or Man U who call their stadium the "Theatre of Dreams"

I do agree with some of what you say at the beginning.

( 1 ). There is a thread on SF where someone in Spain buys their Hendersons

from a local supermarket.

(2). The nightlife is known around Leeds , Manchester and yes, even in Newcastle . - But I don,t recall anyone claiming it to be worldwide.

( 3) Now there you have scored a goal . Who do you play for - be careful , you have scored two home goals so far - the next is a penalty, be careful that you are not made to look arrogant and rediculous.

(4) Sheffield doe's not claim to be Gods own country , though it may be a part of it .Sheffielders claim to be Sheffielders and Yorkshire folk, not Gods chosen people - for their God will decide that .

Finally, may your God strike you down you "Phillistine" , Manchester is in bloody Lancashire and not Gods own country oooops Yorkshire .

I bet you are southerner as well as phillistine !

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 20:35 ----------

I really hope this forum isnt reflective of Sheffield (that would be depressing) and it isnt of the one I know.

I would suggest that it is .

There is no right or wrong, no good or bad. It is all in the eye of the beholder .

That is what makes Sheffield what it is .