Generation Landlord

So my dad who was a plumber - good one at that and did quite nicely who wasn't brilliant at his spelling and maths. Shoveled **** for a living without a qualification to his name - is that an 'idiot' job.

My brother, a spark, who also didn't do great at school but runs a succcessful business. Is that an 'idiot' job

Then there's me who went to uni has degree etc and works for the civil service for peanuts- am I doing an 'idiot' job?

Not one of us has ever claimed a brass razoo from the state. So deifine 'idiot' job

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 03:50 ----------

Oh and my dad did do it for a long time cos in his day you left school at 14

To think, Se7enhills CLAIMS he used to be a union Rep! I certainly wouldn't' want him as my union Rep with views like this about 'idiot' workers!

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 05:52 ----------

I worked for people with good jobs to make em better jobs,,, not none of the Uniosn type mega union stuff that gets no one no where.

Oh, so you never worked for the big unions then, I wonder why that was?!!!

Did the people you worked with have 'idiot' jobs before or after you became their union Rep?

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 06:11 ----------

I cant see why having a idiot job means the state should pay you to have a family, house etc...after all the kids of such liasions are hardly gonna be world changers are they?

Have you just fallen out of the pub?:loopy:

Edited by poppet2

Well, that derailed a bit...

I was asked to elaborate how councils in the Netherlands and Germany take advantage of being places where people want to live: really simple, by project managing their own large scale property investment, from buying the land it will happen on, to finding buyers for the plots or finished houses to managing the builders.

In the end the local government makes a small profit that gets reinvested in services, the builders make a profit for building, the estate agent and sollicitor for their side of things and the citizen benefits because they get property at a fair price.

I would just like to say you can do the job properly and make money out of it at the same time. I have done this with my own personal portfolio (my tenants stay for protracted periods, I have no void periods and very few maintenance issues) You also don't needs pots of cash to get started, i'm 25 and once I got up and running it pretty much funded its self from there.

As an agency we only take on high quality properties with landlords that are willing to work with their tenants. All of our landlords turn a healthy profit even after paying our fees to manage the property. (most prefer it this way as we do all the hard work for them)

That being said if you use a national agency or franchise you can expect to pay through the nose for their service.

As with everything its all about research, taking advice where required and setting things up correctly in the first instance.

Cheers

:hihi: :hihi: Sorry had to laugh a little at seeing your portfolio, mainly compromising of HMO's, quality at its finest ;)

I'm sure landlords of HMO's have tenant satisfaction at the top of their list.

Sorry, but that is a warped vision of the world. My employer and potential employers pay me what I am worth on the open market. Same for my colleagues. This is enough for me to be able to afford living in my own house and being able to not rely on social housing.

Good for you. Can you tell me then why there is a shortage of social housing if it isn't needed?

Good for you. Can you tell me then why there is a shortage of social housing if it isn't needed?

Because there are too many people that should not be entitled to social housing living in social housing anyway. People should see social housing as a temporary emergency solution in between homes or as a place to live whilst in social care. Instead we see a waiting list for social housing populated by people who prefer social housing over private alternatives.

When you consider all the years of saving into a pension, building stocks and shares, land investments and rented property the only place you can see a sustainable return is in property.

Everyone would like good tenants so the best and easiest to get on with are family.

And everyone would like good landlords, which is why landlords should be registered so tenants can identify the good landlords and the rogue ones.:suspect:

Voluntary landlord registration was set up in Tinsley a decade ago under a University run Responsible Landlord Scheme. All it attracted was landlords begging for cash to bring the properties up to standard, instead of them forking out for it themselves. There were not many volunteer registrations, it should be made compulsory.

http://www.sadla.org.uk/index.php/archives/595