Generation Landlord

And that is still only a minority of home owners that would be affected.

Yes, I don't think anyone claimed otherwise... It only needs to be a minority to make the market illiquid.

Yes, I don't think anyone claimed otherwise... It only needs to be a minority to make the market illiquid.

That would depend if the people in negative equality are the only people that want to move, if most of the people that want to move aren't in negative equity then the markets liquidity won't be adversely affected.

Either way the tax payer loses. If there is only private renting to depend on, people apply for housing benefit to cover the shortfall of rent that landlords demand.

How can key workers and cleaners, and ambulance drivers afford to live in some cities, when renting privately? Rail fares also drive people out.

When the LA build houses, at least they are left long term with an asset.

Not if they are subject to the Right to Buy. I think any new homes that councils build should be exempt, otherwise its a never ending exercise.

Here's what Sheffield council are doing in terms of developing sites in areas where there is already social housing: http://www.sheffieldhousingcompany.co.uk/home/who_we_are/

Lifetime homes, some which are geared to people with mobility difficulties, some for sale and some for social rent via a RSL (Registered Social Landlord) in this instance Great Places.