Airliner possibly shot down over Ukraine

Very close to me this now. Turns out that not only did the friend of an old school-friend of mine die with his three year old, it has now been made public that an undergraduate student of our department in Loughborough (but in a different branch) was on the plane as well. I didn't teach him, but we recently had a colleague pas away as well so this comes as an extra shock.

Really sad.

Sorry to hear this Tzijlstra, a lot of families are going to be desperately sad tonight.

You mean the pilots activated a surface to air missile from their cockpits to shoot themselves down? Why all the palava? just put it in a nose dive.

Bomb, deliberate crash. How do you know it didn't happen? I doubt that the pilot shot his own plane down but there are many ways of bringing down a plane if the pilot wants to do that. I'm not discounting anything until the investigation is complete. You seem to think that you know the answers without any of the facts being investigated.

---------- Post added 18-07-2014 at 18:08 ----------

It would seem a SA11 Buk missile system has been filmed returning to Russian territory minus 2 missiles after it was reported being moved into place in Russian separatist stronghold just two hours before MH17 was shot out of the sky.

Or to put that in context.

Someone has released a film from somewhere in the world that might show a missile carrier at any date in the last 20 years. It may have missiles missing, or it may have had only 2 in the first place, or it may have been faked. But then so far there is no proof that any plane was shot down.

Edited by roosterboost

Bomb, deliberate crash. How do you know it didn't happen? I doubt that the pilot shot his own plane down but there are many ways of bringing down a plane if the pilot wants to do that. I'm not discounting anything until the investigation is complete. You seem to think that you know the answers without any of the facts being investigated.

---------- Post added 18-07-2014 at 18:08 ----------

Or to put that in context.

Someone has released a film from somewhere in the world that might show a missile carrier at any date in the last 20 years. It may have missiles missing, or it may have had only 2 in the first place, or it may have been faked. But then so far there is no proof that any plane was shot down.

It seems pretty certain that the plane was blown up in the air and did not simply crash.

"Another local resident in her 20s who refused to give her name said she ran outside after hearing the plane explode.

"I opened the door and I saw people falling. One fell in my vegetable patch," she said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/18/us-ukraine-crisis-bodies-idUSKBN0FN1JJ20140718

Very close to me this now. Turns out that not only did the friend of an old school-friend of mine die with his three year old, it has now been made public that an undergraduate student of our department in Loughborough (but in a different branch) was on the plane as well. I didn't teach him, but we recently had a colleague pas away as well so this comes as an extra shock.

Really sad.

So sorry Tim

Pete

Last night the 17th radio 5live broadcast a special progam at 2100 about the crash and one report said that a plane carrying Putin was in the same area at the same time but this as not been picked up on or reported elsewhere, as far as I have heard but it as opened my mind to other possibilities to the reason for a missile being fired at a civilian plane

more conspiracy crap

it was a plane in the wrong place at the wrong time, simple, i dont think it was targetted as such, it was just either mistaken for a ukrainian military plane OR as some reports say the military plane was the target but the missile locked on to the civilian plane

some say the missile launcher wasnt married to the bit that tells whether they are friend or foe

more conspiracy crap

it was a plane in the wrong place at the wrong time, simple, i dont think it was targetted as such, it was just either mistaken for a ukrainian military plane OR as some reports say the military plane was the target but the missile locked on to the civilian plane

some say the missile launcher wasnt married to the bit that tells whether they are friend or foe

I was not aware that it as been established who fired the missile yet and with the report being on BBC radio I thought that it was something no one had mentioned so far on this thread

It seems pretty certain that the plane was blown up in the air and did not simply crash.

"Another local resident in her 20s who refused to give her name said she ran outside after hearing the plane explode.

"I opened the door and I saw people falling. One fell in my vegetable patch," she said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/18/us-ukraine-crisis-bodies-idUSKBN0FN1JJ20140718

I'm pretty sure that it was. I'm also pretty sure it was shot down. But I'm not prepared to dissmiss other causes, and I'm certainly not going to start making claims about who did it and how.

Thats the point. There are lots of ways an aircraft can blow up. Bomb SAM missile. Missile from another plane. Lightning strike. Catastrophic failure of an outer door, space debris, collision with another plane. You can even bring down a plane with a lucky shot from ground artillery. They did that quite a lot in WW2.

so far there is no proof that any plane was shot down.

There's even less or zero evidence that both planes were deliberately sabotaged by both pilots as a coincidental link other than your suggestion.

---------- Post added 18-07-2014 at 20:42 ----------

I'm pretty sure that it was. I'm also pretty sure it was shot down. But I'm not prepared to dissmiss other causes, and I'm certainly not going to start making claims about who did it and how.

Thats the point. There are lots of ways an aircraft can blow up. Bomb SAM missile. Missile from another plane. Lightning strike. Catastrophic failure of an outer door, space debris, collision with another plane. You can even bring down a plane with a lucky shot from ground artillery. They did that quite a lot in WW2.

Not at 32 thousand feet they didn't. :roll: