"Police under pressure" bbc tv 9pm 23/6/14

I am baffled why Sheffield Forum do not warn commenters over the consequence of the posts they put, South Yorkshire police are avid readers of this forum & will take action against any user they feel is breaking the law, I found this out myself recently after a comment I put up innocently forced me into resigning my job after the police 'investigated' me. It appears freedom of speech is no longer valid. :)

This applies everywhere all over the internet, not just on one forum. Free speech is not enshrined in UK law (since we don't have a constitution in the UK) and people forget that once something is posted on the internet it's very hard to get rid of because they get endlessly repeated on other sites.

The police have become used to finding people from online comments so I'm afraid that the only answer to this is to only post what you are happy for the world to continue seeing long after you posted it. There are very few people who have sufficient knowledge to prevent them from being identified as the author of a comment.

This applies everywhere all over the internet, not just on one forum. Free speech is not enshrined in UK law (since we don't have a constitution in the UK) and people forget that once something is posted on the internet it's very hard to get rid of because they get endlessly repeated on other sites.

The police have become used to finding people from online comments so I'm afraid that the only answer to this is to only post what you are happy for the world to continue seeing long after you posted it. There are very few people who have sufficient knowledge to prevent them from being identified as the author of a comment.

I think many people do indeed fall victim to this, how many people do indeed post comments that are meant in a light hearted way that could indeed to some appear to be highly controversial, I was reading back through some of the comments on this post alone that certainly do indeed appear to raise the eyebrows.

I think many people do indeed fall victim to this, how many people do indeed post comments that are meant in a light hearted way that could indeed to some appear to be highly controversial, I was reading back through some of the comments on this post alone that certainly do indeed appear to raise the eyebrows.

Indeed ! (sorry - I couldn't resist). X

Indeed ! (sorry - I couldn't resist). X

LOL Teaches me right for writing a comment whilst watching the football :loopy: Evidently I did not proof read the comment before posting. :hihi::thumbsup:

I agree with much of your post except that Page Hall was never a middle class area. Upper lower class at best. Nor did wealthy Asian folk move in. Some owned small shops. Once any of them made any money they moved out. When Asians began moving into Page Hall ( and surrounding areas) most indigenous white folk muttered about the influx.

I can only go on my experience in that area from 1947 to 1952. I can confirm that it was upper lower class at best. Perhaps my observations were made in an early period which might not be of any interest.

It's a shame that a sensible debate about policing can't be had without it descending into an embarrassing display of racism. I've worked in communities all over the north including some really deprived areas in Leeds, Bradford, Donny etc.. BY FAR my least favorite place to visit was Parson's Cross.

There are issues with youths in other areas, in areas with high immigration it's often a problem that the older generation might not speak English/be that involved in the community which allows their kids to go off and be scumbags without them really realizing, in all of these situations once the parents find out about what their kids have been up to they are embarrassed, ashamed and want to do something about it.

In Parson's Cross most of the parents are completely aware of what their kids are up to and they couldn't give a toss. These are white families who have had generation after generation of opportunity, of free health care, of one of the best education systems in the world. These aren't people who had to move to this country to escape some brutal warzone, these are people who's sum total of their entire ancestry living in one of the world's most affluent countries is to be sat on their front gardens drinking cans of special brew and moaning about immigrants while their kids ratbag around the streets.

The answer isn't to resort to 'American style policing' ( have any of the clueless people who suggested that ever actually seen the levels of crime in American inner cities?!?!?! Trust me it's less 'kicking footballs at windows' and more 'dozens of murders a week' all American heavy handed policing has led to is total distrust of the police in some areas and an 'us vs them' attitude.

The issue for me is the fact that whenever anything goes wrong in this country we all look for someone to blame. The recession was caused by bankers not by my 10 credit cards, 100% mortgage and brand new beamer i got on credit even though it's worth about half my annual wage. Those people in Parson's cross will no doubt blame their problems on immigrants (if they don't work), 'scroungers' (if they do work) or if not probably just the government. If your community is awful, if your kids are running riot and if your neighborhood is on national tv for being full of scumbags then it is YOUR fault, nobody elses.

You are aware Sheffield has faced decades of de-industrialisation, steel mills, mining, all gone, manual work now hard to come by, you are aware their 'ancestors' built this country, here in the mills and factories and in many cases in war died fighting to defend it. I suppose you subscribe to the 'hard working migrants vs lazy indigenous' meme?

I agree with much of your post except that Page Hall was never a middle class area. Upper lower class at best. Nor did wealthy Asian folk move in. Some owned small shops. Once any of them made any money they moved out. When Asians began moving into Page Hall ( and surrounding areas) most indigenous white folk muttered about the influx.

So the local grand old houses, like Longley hall, the brushes building, cannon hall, and page hall were figments of our imagination, were they? I'm sure the gentry who lived there would be interested to hear that they were actually plebeian...

You are aware Sheffield has faced decades of de-industrialisation, steel mills, mining, all gone, manual work now hard to come by, you are aware their 'ancestors' built this country, here in the mills and factories and in many cases in war died fighting to defend it. I suppose you subscribe to the 'hard working migrants vs lazy indigenous' meme?

Yes I am aware of this, I'm from Sheffield and my family worked down the pit, in the mills and fought in both world wars. I certainly don't subscribe to the view that people who don't have a job are just lazy. I just think that after watching this programme it seems the Roma's main crime is just hanging around outside and generally acting like they live in a festival camp site, there are clearly some cultural issues at play. That woman from the cross who just stands there while her kid runs away from the police as if it's absolutely fine, has no excuse, she's just a complete scumbag. Being unemployed is one thing, letting your kid hang around outside shops, with his face covered by a scarf, abusing the police and generally terrorising everyone is quite another.

So the local grand old houses, like Longley hall, the brushes building, cannon hall, and page hall were figments of our imagination, were they? I'm sure the gentry who lived there would be interested to hear that they were actually plebeian...

Please do some research. None of the places you mention were in Page Hall.

Please do some research. None of the places you mention were in Page Hall.

So, someone transported canon hall from the corner of page hall road did they?that factoid will be of great interest to the historians. And it's not like the area page hall was named after the squire's house, was it?

So, someone transported canon hall from the corner of page hall road did they?that factoid will be of great interest to the historians. And it's not like the area page hall was named after the squire's house, was it?

What about Longley hall?