The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Cheers, I know, I was the one who quoted it. I just wanted to see if El Cid would admit that.

Oh yes sorry - so you were! I missed that.

Is this only for new claimants of Universal Credit, or will it apply to those already receiving it?

Will any child currently entitled to a free school meal have that entitlement removed?

Does that make it ok, its not happening now, but it will happen over time. That is the new way that politicians bring in unpopular changes. But you either support free school meals or you don't.

Free school meals have been shown to improve exam results, and possibly health.

Do you accept that in the future more children will be affected by not getting a good meal?

---------- Post added 18-03-2018 at 18:50 ----------

Do you accept that in the future more children will be affected by not getting a good meal?

The role out for Universal Credit comes to Sheffield in November 2018, so Sheffield children/families will be poorer.

Does that make it ok, its not happening now, but it will happen over time. That is the new way that politicians bring in unpopular changes. But you either support free school meals or you don't.

Free school meals have been shown to improve exam results, and possibly health.

---------- Post added 18-03-2018 at 18:50 ----------

The role out for Universal Credit comes to Sheffield in November 2018, so Sheffield children/families will be poorer.

Your initial posting on this subject was wrong, nobody is 'losing' anything.

Anyone currently getting free school meals will still get them.

I agree that the poorest should be entitled to free school meals, however, once again you present this as a binary choice, when it isn't.

There has to be a cut off point, what I don't agree with is having a different cutoff point for NI.

Yet didn't one Labour politician promise to raise everyone's level to the average?

(I guess that he failed Arithmetic at school)

That he must have been a she, Abbott is the LIEbour mathematician. Proved beyond all doubt.

Angel1.

Your initial posting on this subject was wrong, nobody is 'losing' anything.

When the £7,000 earning limit comes in and claimants that are being transferred to Universal Credit(Nov 2018 Sheffield), I believe they may be people losing out.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/labour-loses-bid-to-give-free-school-meals-to-all-universal-credit-claimants/

That he must have been a she, Abbott is the LIEbour mathematician. Proved beyond all doubt.

Angel1.

Who , Diane Abacus Abbott ?:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Corbyn could have been a very dangerous man.

Thankfully he got as close as he will ever get to PM at the last election.

However, he may well destroy the Labour Party in the very near future and do us all a favour. Labour stopped representing the working class in the early 90's.

When the £7,000 earning limit comes in and claimants that are being transferred to Universal Credit(Nov 2018 Sheffield), I believe they may be people losing out.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/labour-loses-bid-to-give-free-school-meals-to-all-universal-credit-claimants/

Once again, you get it wrong.

The Earnings limit will be £7400, not £7000 as you stated. This, in addition to benefits should provide a family income of between £18K and £24K.

Plus this only applies to Y3 and above. Infants will not be affected.

Since the starting salary of a primary teacher is less than that upper limit, should be provide them with free school meals as well?

After all they are critical to the education of out children...

However, he may well destroy the Labour Party in the very near future and do us all a favour. Labour stopped representing the working class in the early 90's.

So who gets your vote now?

His best mate Mcdonnell has done him no favours in his interview today

Let's look at what the independent fact checkers at C4 said...

No one who is currently eligible for free school meals under Universal Credit will lose their entitlement.

In fact, under Universal Credit, 50,000 more children will receive school meals by 2022 than would have done under the previous benefits system.

This is not a case of the government taking free school meals from a million children who are currently receiving them: it’s about comparing two future, hypothetical scenarios. Both of them are more generous than the old benefits system.

So actually, more kids getting free school meals under the Torys, than under New Labour.

Like I said before, never let the facts get in the way of a good social media meme.

---------- Post added 18-03-2018 at 19:58 ----------

His best mate Mcdonnell has done him no favours in his interview today

Agreed. However he's done us one, and I never thought I'd say that about him!

Let's look at what the independent fact checkers at C4 said...

So actually, more kids getting free school meals under the Torys, than under New Labour.

You seem to be sticking stubbornly to what Channel 4 have said, do you know how to search for facts?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/183380/DFE-RR235.pdf

If if look at the graph on page 7, more FSM in the 1990s, then a decline, then a rise when the Tories adopted a Liberal Democrat policy to give under 7s free school meals.

I assume that we agree that from 2018 the figures claiming FSM would drop.

Edited by El Cid