The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I don't think anyone is doubting he's not a "good" guy.

He's a good speaker, a good backbencher.

The problem is that he isn't leadership material, and never will be. His career has been on the sidelines, an "armchair expert" if you will. His ideas just don't pan out and wouldn't work in the real world - such as returning utilities to state ownership, giving free travel to under 25s and so on.

He's been fast tracked to leadership as an initial joke, and a wave of student support, nothing more.

But we DO NOT want a career Politician, wheeling a dealing to give himself a good retirement pot.

Why wouldn't renationalisation work? Please explain. Time has moved on from the 60's and lessons have been learned...

But we DO NOT want a career Politician, wheeling a dealing to give himself a good retirement pot.

Why wouldn't renationalisation work? Please explain. Time has moved on from the 60's and lessons have been learned...

How much would renationalisation cost? Since 1974 JC has only ever been a politician..doesn't that make him a "career politician"?

But we DO NOT want a career Politician

Corbyn is equal 8th longest serving MP and has been one for 35 years. It's ridiculous to claim he's not a career politician.

Labour's renationalisation to cost every family £6,500

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/21/labours-renationalisation-cost-every-family-6500/

Buying National Grid would cost £38bn. The six power networks and four gas networks – separately owned entities that look after local power and gas – are valued at £60bn. Nationalising 32 water companies in England and Wales will also be costly. The water regulator, Ofwat, puts the capital value of the industry at £69bn.

Where's the money coming from to buy them?

Would UK public officials likely prove more efficient at running the trains than the patchwork of companies (many of them ultimately controlled by foreign governments) that do the job at the moment?

Would our civil servants be superior at operating water companies than the private managers that currently perform the task?

Considering the previous track record of UK civil servants, and how their jobs and roles are protected whenever there's a scandal - never any sackings but "lessons will be learnt".

I think not.

No he just gave support and comfort to the terrorists scant days after they tried to assassinate the leaders of the country in 1984...

Corbyn has never been a terrorist supporter, but a mediator...

Knowing full well that the only road to peace is conversation and compromise and definitely not confrontation.

That was the way Mo Mowlem solved the Irish problem...

The minority Orange men believed it was their right with the backing of the British Government, to rule the Catholics.

Their methods were brutal and antagonising.

I wonder how you would feel if every year you had to be barricaded in your home with a Police guard whilst the Orangemen paraded and postured through 'your designated' streets.

It was the protestants who segregated them and treated them like dogs. Catholic children were forced to walk around the Protestant areas to get to school, and were harangued. And the rest...

Just tell me - how would you have coped with this?

The troubles were capitalised on and brought to a head, thanks to the intervention of MI5 and the British Government of the time - Thatcher.

Open and read this: https://www.prisonplanet.com/news_alert_mi5terror_7.html

I'm presuming that you watched Peaky Blinders? That programme went a long way to explaining HOW the Government and it's agents get involved with 'terrorism.' But maybe you missed that point?

I do know the History of Ireland.. I am descended from Irish Catholics and proud of it. Though I am no longer a Catholic, because I realised some years ago that Religion is the root of all the evil in the world.

I haven't got the space or time to go into the whole history, but would suggest you take the time to research yourself before posting any more guff.

No he just gave support and comfort to the terrorists scant days after they tried to assassinate the leaders of the country in 1984...

Corbyn has never been a terrorist supporter, but a mediator...

Knowing full well that the only road to peace is conversation and compromise and definitely not confrontation.

That was the way Mo Mowlem solved the Irish problem...

The minority Orange men believed it was their right with the backing of the British Government, to rule the Catholics.

Their methods were brutal and antagonising.

I wonder how you would feel if every year you had to be barricaded in your home with a Police guard whilst the Orangemen paraded and postured through 'your designated' streets.

It was the protestants who segregated them and treated them like dogs. Catholic children were forced to walk around the Protestant areas to get to school, and were harangued. And the rest...

Just tell me - how would you have coped with this?

The troubles were capitalised on and brought to a head, thanks to the intervention of MI5 and the British Government of the time - Thatcher.

Open and read this: https://www.prisonplanet.com/news_alert_mi5terror_7.html

I'm presuming that you watched Peaky Blinders? That programme went a long way to explaining HOW the Government and it's agents get involved with 'terrorism.' But maybe you missed that point?

I do know the History of Ireland.. I am descended from Irish Catholics and proud of it. Though I am no longer a Catholic, because I realised some years ago that Religion is the root of all the evil in the world.

I haven't got the space or time to go into the whole history, but would suggest you take the time to research yourself before posting any more guff.

I suppose the Bond films are documentaries?

Edited by truman

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/21/labours-renationalisation-cost-every-family-6500/

Buying National Grid would cost £38bn. The six power networks and four gas networks – separately owned entities that look after local power and gas – are valued at £60bn. Nationalising 32 water companies in England and Wales will also be costly. The water regulator, Ofwat, puts the capital value of the industry at £69bn.

Where's the money coming from to buy them?9

Would UK public officials likely prove more efficient at running the trains than the patchwork of companies (many of them ultimately controlled by foreign governments) that do the job at the moment?

Would our civil servants be superior at operating water companies than the private managers that currently perform the task?

Considering the previous track record of UK civil servants, and how their jobs and roles are protected whenever there's a scandal - never any sackings but "lessons will be learnt".

I think not.

Doesn’t Labour’s Shadow Chancellor state that the money will come from increasing Corporation Tax to 28%? Albeit every time there has been a CT raid it reduces the amount collected due to companies opting for places with friendlier taxation rules.

Doesn’t Labour’s Shadow Chancellor state that the money will come from increasing Corporation Tax to 28%? Albeit every time there has been a CT raid it reduces the amount collected due to companies opting for places with friendlier taxation rules.

Wouldn't be enough.. CT only raised 56 billion in the year to April 2017..adding another 50% ish wouldn't buy very much of the privatised utilities

Where's the money coming from to buy them?

The same place the money for WAR comes from..

£365 billion for one Trident replacement in 2020? £1 million plus for every missile used etc. etc. etc.

£2.4 billion a year to run Trident?

Public officials don't run the trains they only manage the funding.

The people will Manage and 'run' the trains.

Maybe not, given their track records? lol. They would have to be removed and more efficient Managers put in place.

I think not.

So, what are you saying? We are beaten before we start so don't bother? Just let the Greedy Conglomerates keep fleecing us whilst providing an even worse service?

Sounds like a plan to me?

Edited by catpus
edit

So, what are you saying? We are beaten before we start so don't bother? Just let the Greedy Conglomerates keep fleecing us whilst providing an even worse service?

Sounds like a plan to me?

Why would renationalisation be a good thing? Genuine question...

Why would renationalisation be a good thing? Genuine question...

I will get back to you later.. have to go out now.

Do a bit of research whilst I am out and then we can have a proper discussion.

I will get back to you later.. have to go out now.

Do a bit of research whilst I am out and then we can have a proper discussion.

Nope..I'm asking you why you think nationalisation would be a good thing?