The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Who's gonna replace the worst PM we've ever had since the previous worst PM we'd ever had called Dave?

Even though a lot on here said she wouldn't make it to last summer and when she did , revised it to the end of last year , shes still here and going nowhere soon . Any answer to my hypothetical question ?

IF and its a big If , that Jeremy was to get fed up of it all and stand down . Who would you all like as a new leader ?

In an ideal world I would say Stella Creasy, but we do not live in an ideal world and it would most likely be somebody like John McDonnell with the backing of Momentum and Unite.

The personal, off topic digs end here. Any further and you may find your accounts suspended.

In an ideal world I would say Stella Creasy, but we do not live in an ideal world and it would most likely be somebody like John McDonnell with the backing of Momentum and Unite.

Best hope Jeremy does not go then , that's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire . Nikki is that ok ? :(

---------- Post added 03-04-2018 at 23:05 ----------

Even though a lot on here said she wouldn't make it to last summer and when she did , revised it to the end of last year , shes still here and going nowhere soon . Any answer to my hypothetical question ?

Any chance of an answer ?

Here we go

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-britain-labour/israeli-labour-party-breaks-off-relations-with-britains-corbyn-idUSKBN1HH27U

Israel’s Labour party said on Tuesday it had suspended relations with British Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn, accusing him of sanctioning anti-Semitism and showing hatred towards Israeli policies.

I think the bold bit is pretty showing

Barrow Labour MP disagrees with Corbyn, has support from his constituency (probably because of the jobs at Barrow shipyard), but the local Labour party go running telling tales:

Corbyn-critic John Woodcock reported to NEC by local party

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43714534

Free bus travel for under 25s?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/11/labour-announces-plan-for-under-25s-to-have-free-bus-travel

Under 25s would have free bus travel under a Labour government, the party said, proposing a scheme that would be paid for by ring-fenced cash arising from road tax

I really aint happy for this idea, selfishly of course, im almost 50 so i wouldnt qualify for it, niether do i qualify for the oaps free travel, im the bit in between :( and it costs me a lot of money :rant:

Edited by melthebell

There was a soundbite from someone in Labour on Classic FM this morning. They said:

This is a good idea. Why should a 24 year old struggling on minimum wage subsidise a rich 25 year old city banker going round town in their lunch hour

Erm, why should we taxpayers subsidize either of you?

I've no qualms with something like a young persons railcard type scheme though. Perhaps the worthy could then get a free or reduced cost travel pass, a bit like the ones you got when you were a student.

Plus, I'm sure those paying the ever increasing "road tax" would prefer it to go on the roads.

This is just nothing more than Corbyn pandering to and keeping his youth vote interested until the next Glastonbury, and sticking two fingers up to the rest.

Plus, some buses are already packed. Will the bus companies lay on extra buses to cope with an increase in passengers who aren't even paying?

Shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald will repeat Labour's pledge to return to municipal bus companies if it wins power.

And how much is THAT going to cost? Labour were already humiliated with their plans to nationalise other services.

Edited by alchresearch

I've no qualms with something like a young persons railcard type scheme though. Perhaps the worthy could then get a free or reduced cost travel pass, a bit like the ones you got when you were a student.

This is just nothing more than Corbyn pandering to and keeping his youth vote interested until the next Glastonbury, and sticking two fingers up to the rest.

And how much is THAT going to cost? Labour were already humiliated with their plans to nationalise other services.

It all makes no economic sense. Free for young people and old people, its not fair.

Pensioners should pay a minimum fee, 50p or £1; many pensioners are wealthier than most.

Over 65s have an income, why shouldn't they pay?

It all makes no economic sense. Free for young people and old people, its not fair.

Pensioners should pay a minimum fee, 50p or £1; many pensioners are wealthier than most.

Over 65s have an income, why shouldn't they pay?

and a lot of younger people still live at home, a lot dont have major responsibilities. I myself am currently unemployed so bus fares are expensive at the moment, before that i was working 12 years on minimum wage and out of the £1000 a month, £80 went on bus fares before i started on the rest, then having a family, bills to pay, rent, council tax...its not easy, yet im not deemed in the age range for help with bus fares Oo

Sorry Jeremy youve screwed up on this one

[quote=alchresearch;118485

(Shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald will repeat Labour's pledge to return to municipal bus companies if it wins power.)

"And how much is THAT going to cost? Labour were already humiliated with their plans to nationalise other services."

Its what modern progressive societies do. They provide public services that allow communities to prosper. Like road infrastructure, National Health Services, Police Services, refuse removal sevices, etc etc, and yes, Public Transport Services. The clue is in the name, as used by you.

In the good old days Sheffield and South Yorkshire had the most efficient, most used and cheapest bus services in the country.

Its what modern progressive societies do. They provide public services that allow communities to prosper. Like road infrastructure, National Health Services, Police Services, refuse removal sevices, etc etc, and yes, Public Transport Services. The clue is in the name, as used by you.

In the good old days Sheffield and South Yorkshire had the most efficient, most used and cheapest bus services in the country.

I wonder if this free travel for under 25 year olds will alienate the OAP voter?

Imagine how annoyed they'll all get when all the youngsters start playing their 'music' on their phones on the bus...