Ukraine warns Russia against 'aggression' in Crimea

Sad story - you are also mislead by Western propaganda! The Crimea voted for independence at the referendum; they voted against pro-American regime in Kiev.

The same could have happened to Scotland several months ago, if it had voted 'yes' to independence from Britain.

Also, if you call people fighting against fascist Ukrainian troops terrorists (Poroshenko's troops admire Bandera, Hitler, and Bandera is their national hero portrayed on Ukrainian banners!) then, why not to call the British soldiers who fought at the fronts of the WW2 against Nazis 'bloody terrorists' as well?

Do you want to call British soldiers terrorists?

But then how on earth you dare to call former miners and teachers fighting for their freedom on their own territory terrorists?

What a blindness!

I think there is a great deal of your Russian propoganda coming to the fore there.Where do you get your information from about teachers and miners fighting against their own people and as for soldiers fighting the Germans during the W.W.2 I seem to remember your army did exactly the same during W.W.2 so by your reasoning your army are terrorist too.

Sad story - you are also mislead by Western propaganda! The Crimea voted for independence at the referendum; they voted against pro-American regime in Kiev.

The same could have happened to Scotland several months ago, if it had voted 'yes' to independence from Britain.

Also, if you call people fighting against fascist Ukrainian troops terrorists (Poroshenko's troops admire Bandera, Hitler, and Bandera is their national hero portrayed on Ukrainian banners!) then, why not to call the British soldiers who fought at the fronts of the WW2 against Nazis 'bloody terrorists' as well?

Do you want to call British soldiers terrorists?

But then how on earth you dare to call former miners and teachers fighting for their freedom on their own territory terrorists?

What a blindness!

You cannot put a load of troops into a region, hold elections and then expect the world to think that the elections were fair! There are processes to go through if you want to hold a plebiscite to decide a region or countries future, if you do not follow these processes then you end of looking like Germany annexing Austria/Czechoslovakia et al.

There had been no Russian soldiers in the Crimea before the referendum.

Since the Crimea had been an autonomy of the Ukraine, there had been only Ukrainian troops and mil units there.

After the referendum the Ukrainian solders there took the Russian citizenship and became Russian Soldiers by virtue of sharing the same values, religion and language.

Don't you know that?

Last year when I was in Simferopal I saw lots of Russian soldiers and sailors.I think you should look elsewhere for your information than just listening to the guff you get via your local media.Сейчас я буду кушать

Edited by Kidorry

There had been no Russian soldiers in the Crimea before the referendum.

Since the Crimea had been an autonomy of the Ukraine, there had been only Ukrainian troops and mil units there.

After the referendum the Ukrainian solders there took the Russian citizenship and became Russian Soldiers by virtue of sharing the same values, religion and language.

Don't you know that?

So Putin was lying when He acknowledges that Russian troops were in the Crimea before the plebiscite? I assume that even you'll accept RT.com as a reference?

Here's what he said:

“Crimean self-defense forces were of course backed by Russian servicemen, they acted very appropriately, but as I’ve already said decisively and professionally.”

He justifies their presence by saying that it was the only way to ensure the referendum on the region’s status would be carried out peacefully.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

There was a Russian naval base there. Before the referendum according to the Treaty of Friendship and Co-operation – Russia rented one naval base at Sevastopol from the Ukrainian government.

Also of note, Sevastopol and Simferopol are two different cities.

Yes, they are different cities, and he saw Russian military in Simferopol, which means that he didn't see them where they belong, but where they didn't belong :)

The Crimean referendum was a joke.............the Russian terrorist who started the war in Eastern Ukraine by illegally taking over municipal buildings there,by force,has said so himself.

There was a Russian naval base there. Before the referendum according to the Treaty of Friendship and Co-operation – Russia rented one naval base at Sevastopol from the Ukrainian government.

Also of note, Sevastopol and Simferopol are two different cities.

Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia. That was the relult of people's good will.

I know they are and I saw soldiers and sailors in several other cities.I also went into a Russian army barracks close to Sevastopol with a colonels wife who we gave a lift too.When were you last there?

You do not know Russia, nor the Russian politics.

What president Vladimir V. Putin is afraid of is that the Ukrainian troops wearing Nazi swastika supported and sponsored by the West and Obama are bombarding civilian targets in Donetsk (like hospitals, schools, block of flats, mines, etc) killing ethnic Russians there.

Also of note, the USA bases with their troops positioned in the UK and Germany as well as other European countries are closer targets for Russian ballistic missiles than those situated in the US, provided NATO invaded Ukraine.

It is in the interest of Russia to have a border with the Ukraine, similarly, it is in the interest of the UK to have a well-defined border, say, with France.

Wearing swastikas? Supported by Obama as well? Load of cobblers if ever there was.

NATO is not going to cross into the Ukraine. Going to war is not the smart thing these days. Continued sanctions against Russia will eventually cause two things. One, Putin will realize that the war has to end and pull out his troops disguised as Ukraine separatists or face a total collapse of the Russian economy. Two, we'll wake up one morning and hear on the news that there has been a coup and Putin is no longer in charge

The Crimean referendum was a joke,even the Russian terrorist who started the war in Eastern Ukraine by illegally taking over municipal buildings by force has said so..............Putin started the war by invading Crimea,the Russian seperatists then continued into Eastern Ukraine.............everything that has happened since then,the killings of innocent people can be indirectly attributed to Putin..............he has blood on his hands.

Crimea would have been under no bombardment,and neither would Donetsk,this is Russian propaganda to try to justify their illegal war/occupation,and to satisfy the brainwashed masses that Putin presides over...............it's not going to work on here,or in the West,because nobody with an ounce of sense believes a word of what the Kremlin says.

Whether you want it or not, the majority of the population of the Crimea voted for

Russia. Indeed, more than 90 percent of them chose peace, stability, to pray in the

Orthodox Church but not in heretic houses, to speak openly their mother tongue.

And this is what gives you the creeps! You will never accept in your life that there

may be people, even nations who love and admire Russia and Her values.

And you 'seek to kill Me (the Truth) because my word finds no place in you.' (John

8:37).

You do not care at all about children, women, old people of Donetsk and Lugansk who die, being mutilated by the shells fired by the Ukrainian army shouting nazi slogans. Find

videos on the net -- once beautiful cities of Donetsk, Lugansk, Debaltzevo are in ruins because the Western 'democracies' sponsor Kiev to kill Russain people living in the East of Ukraine.

You want the Crimean people to share the same destiny with people of Donetsk - the destiny of being killed by the Ukrainian shells?

The lies which comes from your mass media are devastating. It makes you cruel and

perverted. Perverted so that you forget your own history and values.

My uncle Vladimir has lived in the Crimea, Eupatoria, for more than 25 years. He is a Soviet army serviceman, retired in the nineties. He was crying when he told me over the phone that Crimea voted to join Russia. Had they failed the Crimea had been under heavy bombardment as well as Donetsk. Nazi Kiev would have never 'fogiven' them for being Russians. It was the matter of life and death for them.

I am too a retired army officer. I served as a mil interpretor. My first foreign

language was French. Now I am teaching English at a secondary school here in Smolensk, Russia.

I joined this forum to find some topics for my English classes; like gardening, school issues, etc. My pupils are also interested in English poetry and literature. But what I have found is a complete misunderstanding and lies and hatred towards the people of Russia and Crimea in particular.

Where is your Shakespeare, your Dickens? Britannia that once ruled the waves

now lies perverted obeying orders from over the pond!

'Leave them; they are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man,

both will fall into a pit.' (Math 15:14).

You are not wrong about a media-agenda against Russia existing in the West, but equally you are the victim of a similar agenda existing in Russia. The association with nazi's for example is a typical Russian propaganda trick when it comes to the Ukraine.

The reason the West is annoyed with Russia is because it is interfering with affairs in a sovereign state, again (Abkhazia, Ossetia?). Putin comes across as a war mongerer, the sort of man who we don't trust with an army that could easily trigger WW3, a threat that is fresh in the mind of all those growing up post WW2.

If Putin wants peace he has to act on it, but he doesn't, the evidence of Russian interference in Luhansk and Donetsk is overwhelming. How else do you think rebels get their hands on heavy weapons like tanks and artillery? And don't fall for the spiel of 'army-defectors' because the majority of Ukrainian army hardware is accounted for.

With regards to your 'heartfelt' consternation about "a complete misunderstanding and lies and hatred towards the people of Russia" as a Russian teacher I am sure you are aware of the game World of Tanks, half your pupils will play it, Russians there call Polish players the most horrible things, one Polish guy I played with, who like many Polish speaks fluent Russian, encountered endless streams of abuse from Russians. Not to mention the sheer hatred for anybody American or German.

Whether you want it or not, the majority of the population of the Crimea voted for

Russia. Indeed, more than 90 percent of them chose peace, stability, to pray in the

Orthodox Church but not in heretic houses, to speak openly their mother tongue.

And this is what gives you the creeps! You will never accept in your life that there

may be people, even nations who love and admire Russia and Her values.

And you 'seek to kill Me (the Truth) because my word finds no place in you.' (John

8:37).

You do not care at all about children, women, old people of Donetsk and Lugansk who die, being mutilated by the shells fired by the Ukrainian army shouting nazi slogans. Find

videos on the net -- once beautiful cities of Donetsk, Lugansk, Debaltzevo are in ruins because the Western 'democracies' sponsor Kiev to kill Russain people living in the East of Ukraine.

You want the Crimean people to share the same destiny with people of Donetsk - the destiny of being killed by the Ukrainian shells?

The lies which comes from your mass media are devastating. It makes you cruel and

perverted. Perverted so that you forget your own history and values.

My uncle Vladimir has lived in the Crimea, Eupatoria, for more than 25 years. He is a Soviet army serviceman, retired in the nineties. He was crying when he told me over the phone that Crimea voted to join Russia. Had they failed the Crimea had been under heavy bombardment as well as Donetsk. Nazi Kiev would have never 'fogiven' them for being Russians. It was the matter of life and death for them.

I am too a retired army officer. I served as a mil interpretor. My first foreign

language was French. Now I am teaching English at a secondary school here in Smolensk, Russia.

I joined this forum to find some topics for my English classes; like gardening, school issues, etc. My pupils are also interested in English poetry and literature. But what I have found is a complete misunderstanding and lies and hatred towards the people of Russia and Crimea in particular.

Where is your Shakespeare, your Dickens? Britannia that once ruled the waves

now lies perverted obeying orders from across the pond!

'Leave them; they are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man,

both will fall into a pit.' (Math 15:14).

If this is the rubbish you are teaching your students,I pity them.

The West and Russia

It is important to recognise that the West and Russia are two different realities. In Russia however what to Americans and British looks brutal and paranoid is really a result of a different vision in regards to what is detrimental.

I have spoken with many people about this difference between the two cultures what to Americans seems a high value of tolerance to Russians seems hypocritical in reality and self-deluded in result; i.e. if a culture believes in something shouldn’t it be an inherent cultural imperative to defend these beliefs?

Or similarly: how can you say you believe in something if you are not willing to act against whatever threatens this?

Orthodoxy always was an integral part of the very fabric of life in Russia and in a way which defined what Russia was and what it meant to be Russian in a much deeper way than could be said of the Church in England, for instance. This was so to such an extent that the catastrophe of the Revolution and the 70 years ’Babylonian captivity’ could not erase that reality.

Russians feel that Orthodoxy defines who they are as a people and defines Russia as a country. Western way of life that seeks to turn people to 'European values' are accordingly viewed as threats not only to the Orthodox Church but to Russians as we understand ourselves to be and Russia as we know it. That is why the Russians I know see Obama, Merkel and other European politicians as aliens peddling an alien thought.

Perhaps you could say then that these are two different visions of reality: the tolerant western one and the actively protective Russian one.

Oleg Aney.

So you think that a mixture of religion and repression is the best way for Russia to go?

How do you excuse a system that arrests and jails members of a girl's rock group... Pussy riot... Remember ? Or arrests people in the street who demonstrate in a peaceful. orderly manner.

You've been blind sided by Putin or maybe the Russian mentality even after one hundred years still yearns to be "actively protected"

Your arguments sound depressingly like a wish for Russia to continue as it has for centuries, a society guided by Priests and Tsars or after 1918 new despots under the names of Bolsheviks and Communists and now a leader with a rubber stamp government who dreams of reclaiming lost empires