UKIP and the EU

They were examples of high end products, as for your taste in them then surely that's a personal matter.

So as I have shown, China has come a long way from being the low quality low cost option for manufacturing, to being the worlds main manufacturing powerhouse from the bottom end to the top end. To say that we could stop importing things made there is laughable at best.

I could manage just fine without Chinese imports, but if we leave the EU we won't have to because they will happily trade with us.

There seems to be the assumption that if we pull out the rest of the EU will continue as normal.

Perhaps we will be the catalyst for others to follow.

Without our huge net contribution someone else will have to put more into the pot and that may well be the tipping point.

Regards

Doom

What makes you think some of those countries won't want highly trained British workers, or retirees with loads of money to spend...

So what you're saying is that under your plan we would lose a lot of skilled people and people with a lot of money to spend and not counterbalance that in any way. So with a skills shortage and a decline in domestic spending how do you think our economy will fare?

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 18:56 ----------

There seems to be the assumption that if we pull out the rest of the EU will continue as normal.

Without our huge net contribution someone else will have to put more into the pot and that may well be the tipping point.

Because not everyone is a narrow-minded nationalist. There is massive political commitment on the continent to the EU outside right-wing ghettos like the ones inhabited by UKIP, the FN, et al. Mainstream right-wing parties are massively committed to the EU and to its expansion. So are people on the left. Look at what has just brought down the government in Ukraine. It wasn't a desire for insular politics.

You keep saying that UKIP's reasons are that they are racist, and you thiunk the other countries would use the same reasons. Interesting.

I've not mentioned racism.

No on both counts, no one is advocating the creation a new empire and England is the most densely populated country in Europe.

And Scotland is one of the least.

I'd like to see your sums for showing we make a huge net contribution, it must have taken quite some time to compile, why don't you show your working? Or is it you're only taking the treasury contributions / benefits to work out your calculation, ignoring the vast array of other benefits the UK gets from being in the EU - not least access to a wide, productive workforce who provide a massive boost to UK production and therefore corporation and individual taxes.

Can any of you clever people out there explain to me why the EU hasn't had its accounts signed off in all its years of operating?

Sorry,it's just another 'Daily Mail myth'

http://www.multivu.com/mnr/63502-EU-accounts-signed-off-auditors

QUOTE:

LUXEMBOURG, November 5, /PRNewswire/ — The annual report on the EU budget for 2012 financial year was published today by the European Court of Auditors (ECA). As independent auditor, the ECA has signed off the 2012 accounts of the European Union, as it has done each year since the 2007 financial year. But in most spending areas of the EU budget the report finds that the legislation in force is still not fully complied with.

So what you're saying is that under your plan we would lose a lot of skilled people and people with a lot of money to spend and not counterbalance that in any way. So with a skills shortage and a decline in domestic spending how do you think our economy will fare?

No, but I don't mind you continuing to think that, and our economy can afford to shrink.

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 19:23 ----------

I've not mentioned racism.
Sorry for accusing you of the things other have said.

And Scotland is one of the least.

I don't live in Scotland, I live in England, the most densely populated country in Europe.

Edited by ivanava

Because not everyone is a narrow-minded nationalist. There is massive political commitment on the continent to the EU outside right-wing ghettos like the ones inhabited by UKIP, the FN, et al. Mainstream right-wing parties are massively committed to the EU and to its expansion. So are people on the left. Look at what has just brought down the government in Ukraine. It wasn't a desire for insular politics.

There you go name calling again.

I think you'll find it's more than just UKIP supporters who have their issues with the current EU set up. The reason politicians are so reluctant to have a referendum on the issue is because they fear the result might not go the way they want.

Looking at a fairly recent opinion poll the majority would vote out unless there is a renegotiation of our EU relationship, with limits on immigration topping the concerns of the potential swing voters.

You may well find there is a similar opinion in other European countries, only to date the populace haven't been given the opportunity to express their opinions in a referendum.

Let's have the vote across Europe and find out what the people want, not just the politicians.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 19:44 ----------

I'd like to see your sums for showing we make a huge net contribution, it must have taken quite some time to compile, why don't you show your working? Or is it you're only taking the treasury contributions / benefits to work out your calculation, ignoring the vast array of other benefits the UK gets from being in the EU - not least access to a wide, productive workforce who provide a massive boost to UK production and therefore corporation and individual taxes.

I don't need to do any sums, it's a well known fact that we are a net contributor into the EU pot.

Some countries put in more than they take out, others take out more than they put in.

All I'm saying is if we were to pull out and stop being a net contributor into the EU pot, that lost revenue would have to be made up elsewhere if they're to balance the books. If it means certain other countries contributing more in to make up the shortfall, then that may well be the tipping point for them.

Regards

Doom

Looking at a fairly recent opinion poll the majority would vote out unless there is a renegotiation of our EU relationship, with limits on immigration topping the concerns of the potential swing voters.

You really think the ones complaining about immigration are the swing voters? I would put them quite firmly in the "no" camp, not the ones who haven't decided which way to vote, or that might still change it.

I don't need to do any sums, it's a well known fact that we are a net contributor into the EU pot.

So you don't know how much our being in the EU is worth to UK PLC after all.

There's a lot more to our membership of the EU than figures on a balance sheet. Unless you can attach a figure to all of them, you can't declare our net contribution as positive or negative as you're only working with a few of the elements involved.