I am curious as to how you get the cool avatars some members have got

Many of them are available free online (but be careful, because there are also sites that are laden with viruses and spyware) or you could take any image you like and load it into an image editor like IrfanView and resize/resample it down to 80x80 pixels.

If you're feeling flashy you could make your own with a graphics package, but I'm not up to that sort of thing so I'll let someone else tell you how to do that.

I made mine using MS Paint, however there are many websites with thousands of 'cool' avatars to choose from, but of course if you want one idiosyncratic to you then just make one yourself.

SF annoyingly has a really tiny size allowance compared to other forums, so it's not as straightforward as picking one you like and uploading it.

What I would do is tap something like "Cool avatars" in Google images but search it through the search parameters of SF's size allowance which I think is 80x80.