Is Racism wired into you genetically ?

As WeX points out, that is nothing to do with racism. Unless of course you think white parents with an adopted black child love that child less than if it were white.

The easiest way of disproving this theory is this:

Dogs are dogs, but they all look different, do dogs specifically hate on another type of dogs or do they treat all of them the same?

In case you don't know dogs... they treat all other dogs the same, depending on their pack-rules of course.

Depends how you define racism, the goalposts keep moving .... when I was a kid it was acceptable to refer to black people as coloured, now it is deemed as racist !

when I was a kid it was acceptable to refer to black people as coloured, now it is deemed as racist !

I'd say more inappropriate than racist. On Saturday I was watching a seventies movie called "Two minute warning". They referred to a perp as a "*****".

And colour reminds me of this Johnny Mathis Christmas tune:

Play from 2:50. :)

There is evidence that there is a wired in fear of snakes even though you may never have seen one, this could be considered an irrational fear as not all snakes are poisonous and this could lead to a hatred of all snakes.

What I'm wondering or suggesting is maybe we are genetically wired to be sceptical which then leads to taught hatred ?

---------- Post added 11-12-2013 at 12:17 ----------

I think this is misleading as dogs don't have the ability to teach, they only have instinct to draw on, and even then a dog has the hair on its back go up when greeting another so its already for conflict which suggests the same scepticism wired in that Im talking of.

Ah, you don't know dogs.

Tell me, how do you think wolf-pups learn to hunt?

Not every dog gets its back up when greeting another dog, don't know why you think that, but try a wander around the park, most happy dogs will go up to each other to have a good sniff, regardless of size/colour etc.

The scepticism part is a non-factor, an animal being sceptical is nothing to do with race, it is to do with survival instinct. A dog in the wild will not go up to a pack of lions for a bit of a sniff. But lions and dogs are entirely different animals. It is not racist to call a donkey a donkey, and a parrot a parrot is it?

Correct but the list you provide is not specific to race and so is not racism.

We are all programmed to favour those close to us but that is not believing you are superior, just we protect those close to us to the group we identify with.

This is a good argument!

Let's define racism as related to "race", a concept which many modern thinkers deny exists, as "we are all just human". then we can deny that the opponent's examples are to do with "racism".

I remember the Queensland town of Cloncurry, where I was subjected to a long lecture on Aboriginals: their drunkenness, unwillingness to work, lack of morals, and so on. Pointing to a nearby man (black as the Ace of Spades), I asked "What about Bill there? Pillar of the Methodist church, faithfully married 20 years, works regularly at the hospital, never drinks alcohol, four children, all through school, one at university. What about him and his family?"

The answer came pat: "Oh, we don't call them Aboriginals"!

BTW, so glad you lot are keeping that guy who disrupted the boat race;

http://www.smh.com.au/world/dont-make-me-go-back-to-racist-australia-boat-race-protester-20131210-hv4zt.html

in fact, his Indian wife would be quite safe in our town, as are many Asian women. But if she comes, I hope he doesn't!

Edited by jfish1936

After seeing the topic asking if Homophobia is genetic, I thought I would start this one to pan out if 'Racism' is more than a leant or taught trait.

I have often wondered if being wary of people from other cultures and races is a natural instinct that is redundant in today's world, but never the less is there in us all, past down from the days when social groups were more separated and had less interaction.

Your thoughts please, without dragging it into the gutter or getting the topic closed/deleted.

According to a new study by European researchers, some children are born without the ability to form racial bias.

These children have Williams Syndrome. It's a rare genetic condition that affects about one in 10,000 children.

So if defective genes can stop someones ability to form racial bias, then genes must play a part in racial bias.