Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

I cant understand why bank holiday mondays are free. Whats so special about them? The Council is missing a trick. Clearly they could increase trade in the city centre by charging on this day like all the rest.

I'd guess it goes back to a time when businesses actually closed on Bank Holiday Monday and, for that matter, Sundays.

1. Can you tell me which streets in the centre this happens on?

2. Three Wednesdays before Xmas is hardly an incentive, why not make every evening free for a fortnight.

Grace periods are applied on every street where restrictions are enforced.

Three Wednesdays before Christmas is an affordable goodwill gesture. 14 free evenings would of course cost a lot more in lost revenue.

Three Wednesdays before Christmas is an affordable goodwill gesture. 14 free evenings would of course cost a lot more in lost revenue.

So if you arrived back at your car 4 minutes late and had a ticket could you appeal on those grounds?

I thought not. You do post a load of tripe.

If I wanted to I could live there no problem, unlike you. I just wouldn't want to live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by bimbos, sheep and one restaurant.

Of course you could. You could park your Bugatti Veyron there too. :hihi:

It is hardly the middle of nowhere with only one restaurant. There are a dozen within a 2 minute drive, including Sheffield's only Michelin starred restaurant. But you would know that if you had ever been there. You would also know that there isn't a sheep to be seen, so no girlfriend for you there. Nor are there any bimbos that I am aware of although there is a trader from Sheffield market, a Mercedes dealer and a couple of councillors.

So if you arrived back at your car 4 minutes late and had a ticket could you appeal on those grounds?

If they have issued you a ticket instead 4 minutes then yes you can appeal and you would win. Most councils have a 5 minute period to allow for variance in the machine acccuracy plus its just a general grace period. My dad used to do the car parks in Rotherham and they were instructed not to ticket anyoen until 5 min after the time ran out.

Plus they have to observe that the vehicle is parked outside of the paid time for a period of time so that forms part of the "grace" period.

If you have been ticketed for 4 minutes overrun i would appeal.

It is hardly the middle of nowhere....

You and a certain high-heeled warrioress certainly do seem to share the same knowledge and opinions on esoteric topics.

Yes you could and I post facts, not tripe. As Sheffbag has stated, they allow 5 mins as not everyone's watch is accurate etc and they want to allow for that and be fair.

Lost revenue for a wasteful body like the council would be no bad thing, the boost to the city would be welcomed, also the over zealous wardens could have time off and saved a few thousand pounds.

You and a certain high-heeled warrioress certainly do seem to share the same knowledge and opinions on esoteric topics.

Knowledge of where Middle Handley is would hardly class as esoteric any more than the knowledge of where Chesterfield or Coal Aston are.

I can imagine the terminally stupid might not know, but anyone with an idea of local geography and a Good Beer Guide or a Good Food Guide would know Middle Handley and in particular the Devonshire Arms. It seems so few folk were aware of the places existence that they were fully booked for Christmas 6 months in advance. I suppose that's what you get when you provide adequate free parking.

http://www.chesterfieldpost.co.uk/leisure/restaurants/restaurants_00000010.html

Anyhow it is nice to know that you don't want to live there. I'm sure all the locals will celebrate that fact and those in S5 will just have to put up with you.

Edited by Riannon

It seems so few folk were aware of the places existence that they were fully booked for Christmas 6 months in advance. I suppose that's what you get when you provide adequate free parking.

I don't think the parking issues at one well-attended village pub (covers: maybe 50) compare to the parking issues in a city centre with many thousands of visitors for pubs, restaurants, theatres, cinemas, shops, work; and lots of public transport links.

Why don't they do something about the cars parked on Mobray Street and also some of the last remaining spaces near Netherthorpe where people are still parking for free and then walking to town?

I believe if they double yellow lined all the roads within 3 miles of the city centre they could create a ring of steel that would stop cars from coming into the city to do their shopping

Why don't they do something about the cars parked on Mobray Street and also some of the last remaining spaces near Netherthorpe where people are still parking for free and then walking to town?

I believe if they double yellow lined all the roads within 3 miles of the city centre they could create a ring of steel that would stop cars from coming into the city to do their shopping

Why stop there? Pedestrianise the ring road and have done.