Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

So what you are saying is they now give out far more parking tickets than the linked article suggests.

Yes, because they have continued to introduce more permit parking zones and now the city centre controlled zone operates for longer hours. Bus lane penalties also contribute to the total and there are more enforcement sites.

Yes, because they have continued to introduce more permit parking zones and now the city centre controlled zone operates for longer hours. Bus lane penalties also contribute to the total and there are more enforcement sites.

Well bus lane penalties don't increase the number of parking fines. It is just another revenue stream for the council and like the parking restrictions which operate for longer hours just increase the incentives for those with cash to spend going and spending it elsewhere.

---------- Post added 20-12-2013 at 20:08 ----------

doesn't like to walk too far in her high heels.

I don't blame her. I don't wear high heels but I'll not be walking anywhere more than I need to tonight.

Yes 6 months ago we could have nipped into town this evening and parked on the single lines outside DaDa and all gone in for a few. Now they expect us to find an empty meter bay and walk there in the pouring rain. So tonight town is off the agenda again and I'll be taking refreshment at the Hammer & Pincers where they welcome motorists.

You can still nip in Dada... There are bays across the road. If they are full, there's a brand spanking new multi storey car park just yards away. Stop being a drama queen.

You can still nip in Dada... There are bays across the road. If they are full, there's a brand spanking new multi storey car park just yards away. Stop being a drama queen.

Isn't it amazing how folks want to tell you how you should conduct your life. I'm a great believer in the customer being right. I'm not about to bother popping round to DaDa on the remote chance of one of the 2 parking spots being available when there are a guaranteed 50 places at a pub I can park outside for free.

Yes 6 months ago we could have nipped into town this evening and parked on the single lines outside DaDa and all gone in for a few.

Hopefully not the driver.

---------- Post added 20-12-2013 at 21:44 ----------

Isn't it amazing how folks want to tell you how you should conduct your life. I'm a great believer in the customer being right. I'm not about to bother popping round to DaDa on the remote chance of one of the 2 parking spots being available when there are a guaranteed 50 places at a pub I can park outside for free.

And yet when I went to town last Saturday the bars were rammed before 7pm. None of our group of 12 brought a car, and judging by the constant stream of taxis on Leopold Street and West Street, not many other people had.

No one is making you do anything. If you feel walking a few yards in the rain is too much then freely go to the pub with free parking on the door. Don't blame the council for your laziness/fear of rain/or for being tight.

Edited by Agent Orange

No one is making you do anything. If you feel walking a few yards in the rain is too much then freely go to the pub with free parking on the door. Don't blame the council for your laziness/fear of rain/or for being tight.

It is funny taking advice from folk who were posting on the forum at 10.30 about which pubs we should have visited.

One thing is inescapable. WE DIDN'T spend our money in a city pub. Therefore those pubs didn't take our money, although they got 100% of the business from those who stopped in all night. :hihi::hihi:

PS. We didn't get wet you saddos.

It is funny taking advice from folk who were posting on the forum at 10.30 about which pubs we should have visited.

One thing is inescapable. WE DIDN'T spend our money in a city pub. Therefore those pubs didn't take our money, although they got 100% of the business from those who stopped in all night. :hihi::hihi:

I'm sure the city centre got tonnes of business tonight, even if the weather is a bit on the rubbish side. I'm sure they could cope without your money and mine, come to think of it. I wasn't out tonight, but I'm down in town tomorrow night, spending plenty of money on food and alcohol (as will my friends). Oh, and we wont be going in our cars ;)

Edited by Agent Orange

I'm sure your favourite town bar will spend thousands to buy and demolish the building next door to give you a parking space so you can spend your pennies :cool:

I notice you aren't denying you work for the council though.

Perhaps this will get past the blinkers.

‘Draconian parking fees are damaging business’ in Sheffield

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/draconian-parking-fees-are-damaging-business-in-sheffield-1-5987415

Government minister Eric Pickles has criticised Sheffield’s parking fees - saying ‘draconian’ parking policies and ‘over-zealous’ wardens are driving shoppers away.

His comments come as one struggling Sheffield retailer said increased charges had cut trade by 40 per cent.

Sheffield Council recently put up on-street parking charges in the city centre by 17 per cent - and brought in Sunday and evening charges.

Only bank holiday Mondays are now free.

Mr Pickles said: “The quality of parking is important; it should be convenient, safe and secure.

“Parking charges should be appropriate and not undermine the vitality of city and town centres and local shops. Parking enforcement should be proportionate.

“Anti-car measures are driving motorists into the arms of internet retailers and out of town superstores, taking their custom with them.

“Over-zealous parking wardens have inflicted real damage on local economies and given many towns and councils a bad name.

“Town Halls need to ditch their anti-car dogma. Making it easier to park will help support local shops, local jobs and tourism.”

He was backed by traders and motorists.

Alex Mir, manager of Sa-kis on Division Street, said: “The increased charges have hit us - particularly on Sundays, which used to be free.

“Our turnover on Sundays has gone down 30 to 40 per cent since the charges were brought in. People are going to Meadowhall instead.”

Rob Prior, of Sheffield Motorists’ Forum, added: “I totally agree with Eric Pickles. The council only needs the money from parking charges because it is bloated with far too many people doing too little.”

Hilarious, because what we have here is the repackaging of a national press release (which can be read here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/eric-pickles-calls-for-more-town-centre-parking-spaces) for local consumption. Pickles' original statement doesn't even mention Sheffield.

Presumably the story arises from the local Conservative Party putting out an amended press release, or else Pickles' press department circulated it to local newspapers.

Here's another version of the same story using the same quotes:

Cambridge is too 'anti-car'

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge/Anti-car-Cambridge-criticised-by-communities-secretary-Eric-Pickles-20130828060200.htm

It is all down to personal choice. I know that there is less incentive to venture into Sheffield these days. All the pubs in our neck of the woods have rows of beers on sale. They mostly serve good food and all offer a safe place to park your car away from the key menace. The parking is just another brick in the wall.