Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

Parts of Mosborough, Halfway and other out posts on the Eastern frindges of Sheffield then.

No place can be in both Sheffield and Derbyshire. They are separate places. If a part of Halfway is in Derbyshire and another part is in Sheffield then they aren't both in Sheffield and Derbyshire. One part is in one and the other in the other. Otherwise East Berlin during the Cold War would have been in both East and West Germany.

No place can be in both Sheffield and Derbyshire. They are separate places. If a part of Halfway is in Derbyshire and another part is in Sheffield then they aren't both in Sheffield and Derbyshire. One part is in one and the other in the other. Otherwise East Berlin during the Cold War would have been in both East and West Germany.

Tha't pullin mi plonker so tiddle off.

There are no "parts" of either in Derbyshire.

Mosborough is all Sheffield as is halfway.

Eckington, Coal Aston, Dronfield, Barlborough, Killamarsh and Renishaw are all in the boundary of NE Derbyshire. Nothing to do with being part of Sheffield. There is a boundary cross very very close to where Halfway Morrisons is - you can spot it becuase the bus stop style changes with a short distance from each other.

On the other side, Aston, Aughton and Swallownest are all parts of Rotherham.

Edited by ECCOnoob

There are no "parts" of either in Derbyshire.

Mosborough is all Sheffield as is halfway.

Eckington, Coal Aston, Dronfield, Barlborough, Killamarsh and Renishaw are all in the boundary of NE Derbyshire. Nothing to do with being part of Sheffield. There is a boundary cross very very close to where Halfway Morrisons is - you can spot it becuase the bus stop style changes with a short distance from each other.

On the other side, Aston, Aughton and Swallownest are all parts of Rotherham.

They keep moving the boundary. Our house was originally Derbyshire but is now Sheffield.

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 12:47 ----------

Why didn't the driver drop everyone off at the restaurant before parking?

muggers?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1244590&page=8

There was an interesting article in the Telegraph where some of the recently closed businesses gave their reasons for failure.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/what-s-on/food-drink/fears-for-future-as-another-city-restaurant-closes-1-6449323

FEARS for the future of Sheffield’s independent restaurant sector have been fuelled this week by the closure of another well-established city-centre venue.

Fitzwilliam & West, a lynchpin of the West One Plaza since it opened seven years ago, closed on Monday.

The move comes just three weeks after the loss of Platillos in Orchard Square.

This bit in particular caught my interest.

Restaurateur Tom Robjohns, who runs the Oakbrook Tea House, opened restaurant Back of House last summer, but was forced to close after four months as a result of financial pressures.

This week he said: “The sad news about F&W is another massive mistake by the council. Their rateable values are some of the highest in the region. If I had Oakbrook Tea House across the border in NE Derbyshire, I wouldn’t pay a penny in rates.

“Similarly in licensing. I’ve tried to get a license to serve hot freshly cooked food, but with red tape spanning the length of the county and hundreds of pounds per application, getting a good thing going on a shoestring budget is sadly impossible in this city.”

He called on the council to rethink its approach to the hospitality sector in line with other northern cities.

“Having sat in on planning meetings, I can say that, like the policies of the council, the members are outdated and couldn’t be further from modern trends and food,” he said.

“Maybe they should plan a trip to Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester to see how cities are flourishing.”

Fitzwilliam & West, a lynchpin of the West One Plaza since it opened seven years ago, closed on Monday.

The move comes just three weeks after the loss of Platillos in Orchard Square.

“Maybe they should plan a trip to Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester to see how cities are flourishing.”

I'm not saying for a moment that its easy to open anything like a cafe in Sheffield and I'm sure the rates are very high.

But another possible reason for the failiure of cafe type establishments in Sheffield has got to be the prices. Over £2.00 for a cup of tea, drinking chocolate or coffee (whether, its frothy or not or has stuff sprinkled on it) is to be frank quite ridiculous given the financial climate. There's are people selling slices of cake for £3 to take away or £4 if you eat in. You will get people willing to pay that, or even more, but I'm sure you would get a lot more that who are only willing to pay a lot less.

I was in the centre of Leeds the other day. Obviously they do but how on earth can they all stay in business. It seems as though every other shop there is some kind of cafe, or take away. With customers too. Loads of pubs and most if not all sell food, hardly any pubs left in the centre of Sheffield these days.

I used to think Sheffield was a large city. I imagine, I did not have the time or inclination to find out for sure, that it would take you a good couple of hours to walk round Leeds city centre, not to go in the shops, just to have a good look round. I'll bet you can do the interesting bit to shoppers in Sheffield in 20 minutes.

Take away the phone, charity and baker's shops from Sheffield center and there would not be a whole lot left. In hindsight perhaps the council allowing the building of out of centre shopping centres like Meadowhell was a mistake.

Beware of doing that. I've had a fine in the past for buying my parking ticket from the wrong machine. So don't walk too far particularly as you have to walk back.

I presume it was not for buying from the wrong machine but parking on the wrong side of the road. i.e Neill Road on the one side is normal meters but on the other resident parking permits. It cost us a £30 fine the other month to make sure we now read the signs properly.

The car park next to the Lescar is the best deal as it is free after 4.00 pm

Is tea a modern trend, now?

Good tea houses are, or were. There were quite a few in Liverpool - Brew, Leaf, and a couple of others. Leaf on Bold Street is the best, open until 3am!

Good tea houses are, or were. There were quite a few in Liverpool

A long walk from Liverpool to Sheffield, mind.