Fracking in Sheffield?

Given that the majority of the Government live in/represent areas where there's no shale to frack, I expect them to be overwhelmingly in favour. The exceptions that spring to mind are Clegg, (yes, well) and Osborne, and seeing as they've aleady re-routed the planned HS2 line to avoid his constituency, I'm sure he'll not be worried.

If they do go ahead, I hope the revenues are used wisely, not least for the benefit of the communities affected, and not squandered as with North Sea revenues or used to line the pockets of fat cats.

Do you think folks living in the dales (or other areas) want all this disruption to line the pockets of those already set up for life ? When they wont see a penny advantage themselves ? :huh:

With the exception of Nagel's post which suggested that Fracking should be developed fully before it is implemented widely, that a system of controls be set up - and enforcement of those controls be put in place - there seems to be very little reasoned discussion going on in the UK (or elsewhere.)

"They won't see a penny advantage themselves"? Really? What do you use to run electricity generating stations in the UK? Aren't many of them now gas fired?

Will your hypothetical person living in the Dales be using no electricity? If he is going to use electricity (I accept he may not be on mains gas) how is he going to ensure that none of hte electricity he uses is generated by burning gas/oil produced by fracking?

I heard a (somewhat silly) lady on TV yesterday saying: "We don't need fracking. We should get all our power from renewable resources."

Go ahead, lady! - Where are all those 'renewable resources' you're going to use? What are you gong to do for heating and lighting in the period between the point at which demand exceeds supply and the 'renewable resources' come online?

It could be some years. You won't want any heating in winter, will you?

Britain's energy crisis: when will the lights go out? » The Spectator

Britain 'on the brink' of energy crisis, warns regulator - Telegraph

BBC News - Ofgem warns danger of power shortages has increased

The UK has known for many years that a power shortage was coming. Successive governments ignored the problem.

By all means go for renewable energy. - I live in a place where 40% of the electricity comes from renewable sources ... and electricity costs 25p per KwH.

You too can have electricity from renewable resources - but you'll have to pay for it and unfortunately, there is no way you can make good the predicted generating power shortfalls by using renewable resources before they bite - and bite hard.

If the UK decided it should be "No to fracking at any cost" can we assume that the UK will decline to buy oil and gas from those countries which produce it by fracking? - It would be more than a little hypocritical to say: "We're not allowing fracking here - but we're more than ready to buy the oil and gas you produce using that method."

I doubt they will start fracking in Heeley. It uses a huge amount of equipment.

But i do like heat & hot water in my house so i guess its a sacrifice we all have to make.

Just imagine you lived close to a potential site. Would you want it?

---------- Post added 20-07-2013 at 11:25 ----------

With the exception of Nagel's post which suggested that Fracking should be developed fully before it is implemented widely, that a system of controls be set up - and enforcement of those controls be put in place - there seems to be very little reasoned discussion going on in the UK (or elsewhere.)

"They won't see a penny advantage themselves"? Really? What do you use to run electricity generating stations in the UK? Aren't many of them now gas fired?

Will your hypothetical person living in the Dales be using no electricity? If he is going to use electricity (I accept he may not be on mains gas) how is he going to ensure that none of hte electricity he uses is generated by burning gas/oil produced by fracking?

I heard a (somewhat silly) lady on TV yesterday saying: "We don't need fracking. We should get all our power from renewable resources."

Go ahead, lady! - Where are all those 'renewable resources' you're going to use? What are you gong to do for heating and lighting in the period between the point at which demand exceeds supply and the 'renewable resources' come online?

It could be some years. You won't want any heating in winter, will you?

Britain's energy crisis: when will the lights go out? » The Spectator

Britain 'on the brink' of energy crisis, warns regulator - Telegraph

BBC News - Ofgem warns danger of power shortages has increased

The UK has known for many years that a power shortage was coming. Successive governments ignored the problem.

By all means go for renewable energy. - I live in a place where 40% of the electricity comes from renewable sources ... and electricity costs 25p per KwH.

You too can have electricity from renewable resources - but you'll have to pay for it and unfortunately, there is no way you can make good the predicted generating power shortfalls by using renewable resources before they bite - and bite hard.

If the UK decided it should be "No to fracking at any cost" can we assume that the UK will decline to buy oil and gas from those countries which produce it by fracking? - It would be more than a little hypocritical to say: "We're not allowing fracking here - but we're more than ready to buy the oil and gas you produce using that method."

Gas isn't electricity.

I love all these NIMBY responses.

If you asked anyone whether they would want a [....insert option here..] next to their house the answer would ultimately be no.

It wont matter if its a

Power Station

Railway

New Road

New Stores

Hospital

School

College

Church

Mosque

Synagogue

Nature Reserve

Nudist Camp.

You cannot get around the fact that wherever they place it, its ALWAYS going to be next door to someone. It does not mean that their requirement isnt a necessary investment for the future.

The world changes.

20-30 years ago all those people bought nice isolated properties surrounded by fields probably did not expect them to be turned into mass new buyer housing estates usually with a generic chain pub and a Tesco stuck in the middle of it. However they have because the damand for such things became a necessity.

No wonder this country is always so far behind the rest of the world. I know what two initials I would like to say to the NIMBYs