Bus Drivers Attitude

So can you answer me this, why do some drivers stop for these when they're already massively late?

Like one that I caught recently. 15 minutes LATE already, he decided to pull up and waste 4 mins more.

I get it if you're running a bit early but when you're late??

How do you know the driver was 15 minutes late?

How do you know the driver was 15 minutes late?

There are these things at bus stops. They have a list of buses and departure times printed on them.

The bus I mentioned was due at 27 minutes past, it arrived at 44 minutes past. As this service is only 1 per hour I think it's fair to say it wasn't 43 minutes early.

lol , some people !!!!!

they see the tiny part of the route where their bus operates closest to them , fair enough , that may well be clear .... what about 2 mile away ... the other end of the route .... depending on time of day even can affect routes , IE - schools , bin lorries on narrow sections (get stuck on a 25 on spa lane loop behind a bin lorry hur hur) ..other things ... maybe theres been an accident somewhere well out of ur line of sight , maybe the bus has broken down , maybe he has had more than average wheelchair users ,....... at certain sections (possibly at least 2 points on every route) one , yes ONE badly parked car can cause a blockage for a bus .... take a look outside many GP surgeries at 9am theres many more things which can delay buses , those are just a few & if one does turn up 12 or so mins late & then sits at a stop , it may be that he is on time & the one in front is missing (depending on frequency etc ) maybe if you politely asked , instead of ranting & thinking the world revolves round you , you may find out the cause of the delay (if known) .... where buses are missing , they don't tell us ya know , if you think that's wrong then ring the company & request they inform drivers of delayed or missing services , as has been mentioned , buses cant "jet up & fly" past congestion & are all fully monitored from leaving the depot till return to depot ..... even the ticket machine is a monitoring device ... they can give you a readout of every button u press , what time & exactly where u pressed it !!

Edited by top-owl

I haven't caught the bus much lately but on the occasions I have, I've found the bus drivers to have a really good attitude, and they've been really nice. A couple of times I have run for the bus and the driver has waited for me instead of driving off :)

lol , some people !!!!!

they see the tiny part of the route where their bus operates closest to them , fair enough , that may well be clear .... what about 2 mile away ... the other end of the route .... depending on time of day even can affect routes , IE - schools , bin lorries on narrow sections (get stuck on a 25 on spa lane loop behind a bin lorry hur hur) ..other things ... maybe theres been an accident somewhere well out of ur line of sight , maybe the bus has broken down , maybe he has had more than average wheelchair users ,....... at certain sections (possibly at least 2 points on every route) one , yes ONE badly parked car can cause a blockage for a bus .... take a look outside many GP surgeries at 9am theres many more things which can delay buses , those are just a few & if one does turn up 12 or so mins late & then sits at a stop , it may be that he is on time & the one in front is missing (depending on frequency etc ) maybe if you politely asked , instead of ranting & thinking the world revolves round you , you may find out the cause of the delay (if known) .... where buses are missing , they don't tell us ya know , if you think that's wrong then ring the company & request they inform drivers of delayed or missing services , as has been mentioned , buses cant "jet up & fly" past congestion & are all fully monitored from leaving the depot till return to depot ..... even the ticket machine is a monitoring device ... they can give you a readout of every button u press , what time & exactly where u pressed it !!

Thread reading fail!

To clarify the thread is about buses stopping at stops when there is no-one boarding or alighting when it's already LATE. These stops are placed in the timetable for the occasions when the bus is EARLY as the route planners plan for the odd hold up.

The complaint is that the drivers don't seem to comprehend the simple system which is the following flow question:

On reaching the time-stop, Is the bus early, on time or late?

If Early -> Wait till time specified then depart

If On time -> Depart as normal

If Late - > Depart as normal

God, bus drivers haveva hard enough job as it is, never mind th he keyboard worrier s too. How do you know a bus is late? The bus in front may not be running and t hat bus is early hence needing there wait time!

Thread reading fail!

To clarify the thread is about buses stopping at stops when there is no-one boarding or alighting when it's already LATE. These stops are placed in the timetable for the occasions when the bus is EARLY as the route planners plan for the odd hold up.

The complaint is that the drivers don't seem to comprehend the simple system which is the following flow question:

On reaching the time-stop, Is the bus early, on time or late?

If Early -> Wait till time specified then depart

If On time -> Depart as normal

If Late - > Depart as normal

fail in the quote lol

He answered your specific question in his post.

To make it easier for you I will explain.

example...

The bus you was supposed to catch was not running. As in not in service(wont go into detail as your not bothered about anything other than your question)

So the next bus that comes along is on time but for you who has been stood waiting as it's the first bus it's late.

so this bus that is on time is still governed by the bus timetable for its schedule (not the schedule for the missing bus) and if it turns up at a time point early the driver will be disciplined if he leaves early.

it could also be that there was a major incident earlier on the route. So a new bus was sent from olive grove to help cover the other blocked buses. This bus driver been kind en route to his starting spot (given by managers over the radio) to stop and pick you up. But when he got to his first check point he had to wait.

If you're still sure the driver was been an fool then phone up first/stagecoach give day and times and they will explain.

Could also be the driver was waiting to make the bus really late so he could then radio in to get his route adjusted. Say he was waiting at woodseats then he would be told to put up not in service and run the bus empty to arundle gate and re start the service there on time.

if this is what he was doing it definitely wants reporting as it upsets the passengers and the next poor driver on the route who has twice as many passengers to pick up making him late. Also the passengers will quite rightly be mad but wrongly blame the driver.

so if you see this REPORT the driver.

Hope that helps

Edited by PaulYoung
added content at bottom

It is always funny when observing how slow buses can be.

Then when the scanning system of the passes does not work I take all the time of the world to take the pass from my wallet.

Then the driver will usually show impatience and is clearly not happy with the time it takes. They behave as if you have to be quick but they have all the time when you need to be somewhere on schedule.

If they want to be slow, I have all the right to give them a display of "slow" when getting on the bus.

Funny how that gets them angry while they don't care when you are somewhere too late.

I stopped to let a bus driver pass yesterday. I gave him plenty of room, at least 5 foot more than he needed. It didnt stop him from pulling up next to me, opening his window then asking me "how the **** do you expect me to pass through there?"

Then promptly floored it and passed with ease!

I had the kids in the car so i wasnt happy about his choice of language but what can you do??