Struck off law firm Chester & Simmerson - who took over files?

I believe the company just closed. Both Roy and his wife Margaret died sadly after providing many years of excellent service. They were brilliant people and I'm sure absolutely everything would have been dealt with efficiently.

Surly all the deeds they held had to go somewhere .Who would know ? We

were not notified that they had closed and haven't had reason to use a

solicitor since we purchased our house .

Was it he or Terry Simmerson who was the first blind solicitor in Sheffield?

Roy Chester was the blind one.

try the Law Society. they will be able to help.

Jamp,

I Have a similar problem, I recently sold my house and need to locate the "House Deeds" that were held by the Law Firm Ashington Denton of Norfolk Row ! Not knowing to me they closed down for whatever reason in 2007.

So i have contacted the Intervention Archives who hold files from Solicitors that have closed down.

It does seem to be very slow process with them though as it must have been 2 to 3 weeks before they even acknowledged my E Mail.

There contact details are as follows.

[email protected]

Tel 02476 339251

Unit A Colonnade Point, Prologis Park, Coventry CV6 4BU

A bit OT, but I’m just curious.

Is there some particular reason why a firm of solicitors would choose to dissolve? Surely they would have a list of clients which must have some value. I wouldn’t have thought it would be difficult to sell this on to another firm of solicitors. When a business is sold, the stock and goodwill has a value. Why doesn’t a solicitor’s business?

Jamp,

I Have a similar problem, I recently sold my house and need to locate the "House Deeds" that were held by the Law Firm Ashington Denton of Norfolk Row ! Not knowing to me they closed down for whatever reason in 2007.

So i have contacted the Intervention Archives who hold files from Solicitors that have closed down.

It does seem to be very slow process with them though as it must have been 2 to 3 weeks before they even acknowledged my E Mail.

There contact details are as follows.

[email protected]

Tel 02476 339251

Unit A Colonnade Point, Prologis Park, Coventry CV6 4BU

I have received a reply to the email I sent yesterday . I have to send in proof of identity and signatures before they can check to see if they have our deeds.

Is there some particular reason why a firm of solicitors would choose to dissolve?

for the small single or a couple of partner operations then retirement, illness, or just had enough are reasons to disolve the business.

The relationship between the partners could break down to the extent that dissolving the partnership is the only option.

Surely they would have a list of clients which must have some value. I wouldn’t have thought it would be difficult to sell this on to another firm of solicitors. When a business is sold, the stock and goodwill has a value. Why doesn’t a solicitor’s business?

how much value is there in a client who last used a solicitor 30 years ago to buy a house?

the client list may include people a new solicitor can work for due to conflict of interest reasons and there is nothing to force a client to use the new solicitor in the future.

What happened to Ashton Morton Slack???

It was an LLP [Limited Liability Partnership] and it went into Administration at the end of 2010

Possibly; but Chester & Simmerson was dissolved (i.e. the firm was not merely merged into another one).

Thanks jeff,that by deleting my post,just because you can.You have now proved my point.:thumbsup: