Samson is safe & going to rescue!

So you want him putting to sleep, then? Yes, that is bloody heartless!

Sorry, but it's not a lot to ask for him to spend the last few months of his life in a foster/permanent home. All he needs is some treatment for mange (which he is currently receiving in the pound), some decent food to help him gain some weight, and a good secure home to live out what life he has left. Hardly expensive!

I don't want him put to sleep, any more than I 'want' countless thousands of animals to be killed every year because no one wants them. I was simply putting a point of view (for which I'd rightly propheside I'd be 'shot down in flames') that there should always be consideration given to how best to use finite resources. I was expressing my doubt that an elderly dog with chronic health problems and a propensity to escape, represented best use of said resources. Not a very 'fur baby' take on things I know, but possibly a more practical one.

Oh blimey, what to do? I don't have pets, never have, but I can't ignore this little one eyed boy. He so deserves a lovely home. Thing is, the poor lad's pts date is "imminent". When's that then? What if we almost raise the dosh - £150? - and then they put him to sleep before it's raised? How long have we got?

I don't really mind if my donation goes to help another dog BUT I really want it to help Samson 'cos no-one will rescue him. (No, I can't - I don't even like dogs - I'm scared of them and they whiff a bit, never mind the hairs on the sofa);)

Does the rescue go and get him out? The details are so sketchy and I would rather my hard earned dosh is actually used for this old boy (and then I can stop coming on this blinking thread).

Duckegg

Hi Duckegg,

The funds that are raised for him through Pounds for Poundies can be used in a number of ways:

(i) They can be used to pay for an emergency boarding kennel which costs around £6 per day on a temporary basis until he finds a rescue space/forever home

(ii) All rescues are struggling, so rescues are more likely to take a dog in if he comes with "funds" to help cover their costs of getting him vaccinated, castrated and chipped according to their policy

(iii) Some rescues refuse to take a dog unless it is vaccinated (for obvious reasons) so the funds could go towards this

(iv) Rescue places are sought out all over the country, so if a rescue space in Brighton is offered then we will take it but will have to cover the fuel costs of the volunteer(s) that transports the dog there.

I hope this makes sense and helps clarify things. His put to sleep date is looming but I can assure you that we will not be pts without notice, and definitely not if there are people actively searching for a rescue space and donating funds for him. The staff at Sheffield Pound are fantastic and will do everything in their power to get the dogs out - PTS really is a last resort- but obviously only if people help.

We had a case a couple of months ago, an eldery staffie called Mr Grey - no hope for him you would think- due to be PTS within 48 hours. We got him down to a fantastic rescue in Norwich with the help of volunteers and Pounds for Poundies, and he's now called Arthur and due to be adopted by his new family very soon :)

I get the impression from your posts that you believe that spending money on disabled & elderly dogs is wasteful & I can understand that, but once you start playing the who deserves it more game then I guarantee it would just escalate - why should rescues waste precious resources on staffy breeds, Rottweilers etc at all, after all its obvious they are on the whole hard to rehome breeds, just put them down & save the resources for more adoptable dogs, which could move on to just put mixed breeds down as pedigrees are more adoptable & then have dogs put down that aren't neutered or require some basic medical care as the dog next to it doesn't need any of that & then before you know it you're spending so much time picking & choosing you don't save any.

I chose Samson because he means something to me & if my donation helps to him only spending a few months with a family before he passes away then I'm happy with that & consider it money well spent

Edited by nexusdee
my phone can't spell

Well said Nexusdee

I agree with nexusdee. I too consider it money well spent. Yes, Samson has a few health issues but it's easily treatable. It's not like he's in constant pain or won't recover from his problems. As for escaping, thats because people kept leaving the door/gate open. Any dog can escape through an open gate, it's not as if he's some kind of Houdini! If his new owners take more care in making sure no gates are left open, then he won't be able to keep getting out. I think he deserves a chance to live out his final days in a warm, comfortable home. And i really hope he gets that chance.

Thanks for the info Peewee. I guess I have no excuse for not donating a few pounds. There goes this weekend's Sauvignon etc. All for a good cause of course. (pesky thread!).

Duckegg

Thanks for the info Peewee. I guess I have no excuse for not donating a few pounds. There goes this weekend's Sauvignon etc. All for a good cause of course. (pesky thread!).

Duckegg

Yayyy go Duckegg :clap: you know it makes sense :D

I wish they would update the funds on Samson's page! I keep looking but nothing's been added so far.

Duckegg

Woooh! It's updated! I think we are getting there............ Let's hope there's more donations soon.

Edited by Duckegg
update info

It's up to £109 at 5.30 ish today. Anywhere found for him yet?

It is a real shame Sam71 can't find anything at all to sell to get the dog back, poor Samson will be so confused.

According to Samson's page on pounds for poundies he has a rescue space and is safe...yey well done to all who helped, good luck finding a new home Samson x

According to Samson's page on pounds for poundies he has a rescue space and is safe...yey well done to all who helped, good luck finding a new home Samson x

Oh that's good news fingers crossed he will have a home soon that can get control of his wandering ways