Sheffieldish - words & phrases

hiya, anybody remember on a hot summers day playing with the tar that oozed from between the road blocks g/g the number of times it found its way into kids hair, then their mothers tgried to get it out with a dab of butter, no plastercine during the war.

I remember sittin on corsey mekin pitch lollies,mam used lard to get it off my hands.

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 23:17 ----------

Does tha want a scutch a smack

anyone remember the word "mardy" - eg "oh, he/she is a mardy little bugger, allus wailin"

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia - "It aint 'alf 'ot Mum"

hiya, anybody remember on a hot summers day playing with the tar that oozed from between the road blocks g/g the number of times it found its way into kids hair, then their mothers tgried to get it out with a dab of butter, no plastercine during the war.

Yes....one summer day a couple of years ago I rolled a small ball outside where I lived on Adsetts Street like I did sixty odd years ago! It's now in my box of treasures. Sad isn't it? :D

Set agait (agitated upset)

Limbo (naughty child usually me)

Sneck (door latch)

Slaters (woodlice)

Gruel (porridge)

Cubby hole (small cupboard)

Love this thread brought back so many memories and words My family use to use when i was a child . :)

Great memories Great times:hihi::hihi:

Tha's sh-t thi pot full.

My Nan always used the word SHUNKLY to discribe something that glittered like sequines. Its a word that all of use in our family.

She also used to say that if someone was dawdling or walking slowly they were TRERKLING along. A nice discriptive word but dont know if its a proper word.

Ha haa! Shunkly! I'm not going mad! Thank you. I used this word the other day and my wife (cheshire...tut) looked at me gone out. My old mum used to say this but I almost convinced myself I'd made it up :clap:

Did tha sh*t 't'bed? = My, you are at work early today for a change!

Ha haa! Shunkly! I'm not going mad! Thank you. I used this word the other day and my wife (cheshire...tut) looked at me gone out. My old mum used to say this but I almost convinced myself I'd made it up :clap:

And, things didn't glitter they used to shunkel ...:hihi:

Oh, and back then it wasn't Shirecliffe it were Shercliffe, as in Yorksher....:rant:

Edited by grinder

Did tha sh*t 't'bed? = My, you are at work early today for a change!

Or,"Is t'bed on fire?"

Or,"Is t'bed on fire?"

Or , If you'r late , has she bin laid on the nightshirt ?