Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Coffin nails.........Woodbines.

A bit parky.......Chilly .

Edited by grinder

Mon't (meaning "musn't")

Tha mon't come runnin' to me rooarin' when tha falls off that theer wall an' breks thi legs.

Mont and maynt pretty sure there from the black country WALSAL try to speak once but they had a speech all there own with no english in it at all, right now I'm thinking98% of all the slang words on this thread are general British slang ,I know moving to Leicester in46 one one couldn't understand a word we said,in fact they was a backward didn't know the differance between soop you drank and soop ya wash the sen wid:D:D

Mont and maynt pretty sure there from the black country WALSAL try to speak once but they had a speech all there own with no english in it at all, right now I'm thinking98% of all the slang words on this thread are general British slang ,I know moving to Leicester in46 one one couldn't understand a word we said,in fact they was a backward didn't know the differance between soop you drank and soop ya wash the sen wid:D:D

I doubt whether my grandfather ever visited the "black country" let alone picked up any of their slang. He and his family going back to 1700's were all fork grinders born Sheffield, originally Ecclesfield then latterly Heeley.

During the '60's my grandfather had a visit from John Widdowson of Sheffield University who was studying languages/dialects, the interview was all taken on tape, John was fascinated .

Slava....saliva.

Ee's got a lotta slava.........He's got a lot to say for himself...

Edited by grinder

There are some words that were generally used all over but it was the inflection that made them local. Mon't and mayn't are good examples. In our neighbourhood it was pronounced "maunt". As a greeting our "ahdoo" was different from the 'owdoo commonly used elswhere.

The old timers could tell which part of S. Yorkshire you came from just hearing you speak. Rotherham, Barnsley, Dronfield, etc were only a bus ride away but they "talked different" to us. Even different parts of Sheffield had their own local sayings. Some places it was dee and dah, and in others thee and thar.

Moaning.... complaining

A sooner .....Some one who'd sooner not work than work...

I've put this on here before,a long time ago,but just for old times sake:-

A conversation between my grandad and a mate.

Mate-That's a grand dog tha's got theer Joe.

Grandad-It is that.

Mate-What soort is it?

Grandad-It's a sooner

Mate-A sooner?

Grandad-Ay.He'd sooner ayte mayte than mustard.

I doubt whether my grandfather ever visited the "black country" let alone picked up any of their slang. He and his family going back to 1700's were all fork grinders born Sheffield, originally Ecclesfield then latterly Heeley.

During the '60's my grandfather had a visit from John Widdowson of Sheffield University who was studying languages/dialects, the interview was all taken on tape, John was fascinated .

Only spent my first 11 yrs in Sheffield the real mix came when i joined up in 51 all the different lads from all over U.K. as a wireless op heard some pretty strange sayings

Closet (Toilet) Sithee(Look) Poppo(Horse) Chewin Fat (Gossiping)

Black Dag........Black pudding.

Dip di bread......Help your self

Edited by grinder

nowt

suumat

a few coppers - loose change

a bit o pencil - never saw a long one til we got to school

oreight - good

feight - school yard attraction

nathenn - see eyup

eyup - see nathenn

Bugger = hard case