Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

two true cuttsie now our young men are working at call centers or making sandwiches at subway .no steelworks or mines and very little house building ,any way lets enjoy the moment its party time

she didnt attack working people she attacked unions that had got too big for their boots and had to be crushed. Remember the winter of discontent ? remember the 3 day working week ? Remember rubbish pilled up on the streets ? All down to unions with too much power. Unions that had to be crushed. And thanks to Mrs Thatcher those unions were stopped.

For many people now it is the no day working week.

wapping

battle of the beanfield / Stonehenge

start of the criminal justice act

support for apartheid states

but like Obama said she stood for freedom and liberty

*rolls eyes*

Thatcherism was/is an economic disaster. The bills are still rolling in and show no signs of stopping:

Thatcherism is the root of our banking crisis

It is the root of our housing crisis

It is the root of our looming energy crisis

It was the ideology that made it OK to dump millions onto benefits

The wanton destruction of industry leaves us limited options for exporting our way out of crisis.

It turned us into a consumer society hell bent on debt.

Don't get confused about what I am saying. I'm not attacking the person. I'm attacking the policies and the various flavours of them perpetuated by all governments since.

two true cuttsie now our young men are working at call centers or making sandwiches at subway .no steelworks or mines and very little house building ,any way lets enjoy the moment its party time

I am having a drink at the moment terry [tea] and thinking of my pals up in Thorne and Stainforth who at the time of the miners strike were destitute and had to resort to begging and borrowing? to feed their families.

When the strike was over it left families at war with each other and that has carried on to this day due to that awful Thatcher Government.

wapping

battle of the beanfield / Stonehenge

start of the criminal justice act

support for apartheid states

but like Obama said she stood for freedom and liberty

*rolls eyes*

:hihi::hihi: Well said Mel - good riddance to bad rubbish:gag:

I feel for her family, to them she was mummy and grandma, but a 'state' funeral ? Upwards of several million pounds ? Come on...WHY ??

People are cold and hungry, the poor are poorer and the rich are quite comfy, un-yet the hard working people of this country who want their taxes spent on health and education are seeing that money spent on a funeral for some old women who meant next to nothing to the majority of people in the country.

If she is entitled to this kind of send off then so is every man and women that gives up their time to serve others, and who do it for nothing generally.

I am disgusted that the government thinks this funeral is appropriate. Typical government, no sense of what the people paying for it feel and couldn't give a monkeys either.

But its not 'our men' thats working at these places anymore is it:huh:

Steelworks and mines where not the be all and end all of this countries workforce,dont forget these were run by the state at the time.

do you reckon if these were run by private companies and then shut down,we would have seen all the chaos that followed:loopy:.

also dont forget the contradictions which are taking place during some of these comments,when decent honest people tried to go back to work-earn an honest wage to feed their kids and pay their council rent-they were met by violence and abuse from the people who were refusing to work:huh:

Cameron said 'she saved the country'.

You can't say that about many PM's, except Winstone Churchill.

Thatcherism was/is an economic disaster. The bills are still rolling in and show no signs of stopping:

Thatcherism is the root of our banking crisis

It is the root of our housing crisis

It is the root of our looming energy crisis

Isn't it odd how none of this was tackled from 1997-2010 if it was such a disaster?

I am having a drink at the moment terry [tea] and thinking of my pals up in Thorne and Stainforth who at the time of the miners strike were destitute and had to resort to begging and borrowing? to feed their families.

When the strike was over it left families at war with each other and that has carried on to this day due to that awful Thatcher Government.

What do you think the government should have done to curb the power and demands of the unions who were disrupting the country ?

I am genuinely interested why people can not see that she(the government) had at some point to react to an intolerable situation by confrontation.

It was dreadful the way many people were affected by what was happening at the time and the way success in life was measured by the amount of money one had(the Yuppie culture) rather than compassion and caring for others.

Isn't it odd how none of this was tackled from 1997-2010 if it was such a disaster?

It wasn't tackled by successive govts., that's the problem.

Thatcher got it wrong by making finance britains main focus.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 08:59 ----------

What do you think the government should have done to curb the power and demands of the unions who were disrupting the country ?

I am genuinely interested why people can not see that she(the government) had at some point to react to an intolerable situation by confrontation.

It was dreadful the way many people were affected by what was happening at the time and the way success in life was measured by the amount of money one had(the Yuppie culture) rather than compassion and caring for others.

The yuppie culture was thatchers legacy.