E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

Out of around 15 people I know that smoked, at least 10 of them now use e cigs, Me and my partner were the first to get one and most of my family and friends have followed on after, all of us have quit, not one of us has failed, I bought my mum one who has tried everything else to give up and for the first time she has gone 6 week without a real cig, the longest ever in 32 years, I am so proud. SO me, my mum, my sister, two uncles, aunt, partner, and many friends have made an easy more healthy switch. I use my e cig proudly, I do not feel or look stupid, I often get asked about it. I get to enjoy vaping and the flavours, save money and I am healthier.

I'm just curious (not looking for an opportunity to be judgemental): are you planning to use the e-cigs indefinitely, or as an intermediate step towards quitting smoking completely?

I'm just curious (not looking for an opportunity to be judgemental): are you planning to use the e-cigs indefinitely, or as an intermediate step towards quitting smoking completely?

Well as an e-cig user myself. I see it as a stepping stone to being rid of the nicotine habit. However, even if I didn't come off them, and carried on 'vaping', it's no longer harming me, or anyone around me, it doesn't smell, I don't smell, and is infinitely better for my wallet!...So for me, it's a win, win, win situation!

I eventually want to stop, but with E cigs I can do it on my own terms, in my own time, I have been stocking up on liquid which go down in strength, I will go down when I feel ready to the lower strength until I am on zero strength, and do not have an addiction to nicotine anymore, I have tried patches, gum, lozenges, zyban and champix and this is the only thing that has worked long term.

At the moment I am enjoying the experience of vaping without the worry so I do not feel there is any rush:D

---------- Post added 13-06-2013 at 10:44 ----------

Well as an e-cig user myself. I see it as a stepping stone to being rid of the nicotine habit. However, even if I didn't come off them, and carried on 'vaping', it's no longer harming me, or anyone around me, it doesn't smell, I don't smell, and is infinitely better for my wallet!...So for me, it's a win, win, win situation!

Agreed 100%

Similarly they load duty onto fossil fuels, petrol and diesel etc because of the terrible polluting effects and exploitation of a finite resource etc etc blah blah but then somebody comes along and develops biofuels such as those from vegetable oil and suddenly that becomes fair game for the government as well.

The problem there is that fields used for crops and food are being abandoned in favour of cultivating for fuel.

http://www.actionaid.org.uk/news-and-views/g8s-biofuel-use-contributing-to-world-hunger-1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/biofuels/9589634/Biofuels-and-the-food-thats-going-up-in-smoke.html

I decided to give one of these a go about 2 weeks ago and so far...sort of so good.

I used to get through 1 to 2 50g pouches of baccy a week so you could say I was a heavy smoker. I went for the "no expectations" plan and had no intentions of setting targets. The first thing I noticed was that the so called tobacco flavour tasted nothing like tobacco at all, or should I say, I didn't to me. I ended up with a mix of silver and gold with a bit of apple. This gives the hit you want but the apple gets rid of the after taste. One bit of advice I will give is to try some flavours, you might be surprised at what you like.

A couple of honest Q and A's

Are e cigs safe? Not a clue but can they be any worse that a real cig?

Will I still want a proper ciggy? Damn right you will but the e cig will remedy most of the craving.

Is it expensive? Yes it is at first but then gets very cheap once your set up is done. Try and think of how much you spent on cigs, that should put it in perspetive for you.

These are my questions answered by me, others might have different answers. I have fallen to the dark side on a few occasions over the last couple of weeks mainly when I've had a few pints. I've not had a real cig since last Friday so not doing too bad. All in all I think e cigs may be the answer for many people wanting to stop smoking but I also think that we need to keep sight of stopping totally and not swapping one habit for another.

I find that some of the new shops popping up are very expensive so have a good look round and maybe buy on-line if that's an option.

Here's what I've been using.

Ego-t twin pack (Genuine)

2 X 900 batteries

2 X Cartomisers

USB Charger

USB Mains Charger

Case

£25 for the above

Spare Cartomisers are £4-5 (you WILL need spares but remember that this type can be washed out)

30ml of HANGSEN Liquid runs at bout £7-8

I've just started mixing liquids and testing other types of e cigs but the above is what I mainly use and and it will give you an idea of price. Most of the places I buy from came via the ukvapers forum so it might be worth reading up a bit before you part with your cash.

It's not totally harmless to you --- there's still the nicotine --- but I'm sure it's much less harmful and everything else you say is true. (Again, I'm not looking down on you or telling you what to do, just pointing out one detail.)

It's not totally harmless to you --- there's still the nicotine --- but I'm sure it's much less harmful and everything else you say is true. (Again, I'm not looking down on you or telling you what to do, just pointing out one detail.)

Well...in an ideal world, I would never have started smoking. But the nicotine in itself isn't harmful...it's more the addiction to it. With ordinary ciggies, it's everything else you inhale that does the damage, and with e-cigs you don't get any of that.

there are hundreds probably thousands of people smoking the e-cigs including me, I was a very heavy smoker before I purchased my e-cig, I smoked around 40- 50 cigs per day, I bought my e-cig nearly 4 weeks ago and I have not touched a normal cig since, what are your views on the e- cig ? should they be regulated ? do you think they can harm you ?:)

Is this the on that looks like a normal cig or the other one? Going to try the one that has the liquid in and see how it goes.

I think they are a brilliant idea and fantastic for people who are quitting smoking. My mum uses one and she was similar to yourself and says they are fantastic. Her GP has also said they are brilliant for her also.

There are going to be people who say they're not needed etc etc but, they're alot better and a great substitute if your cutting back/quitting.

Is this the on that looks like a normal cig or the other one? Going to try the one that has the liquid in and see how it goes.

hi fozzy, its the one with the liquid, I personally think they are brilliant, and if I can stop smoking normal cigs with it then anyone can lol.

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 18:19 ----------

I think they are a brilliant idea and fantastic for people who are quitting smoking. My mum uses one and she was similar to yourself and says they are fantastic. Her GP has also said they are brilliant for her also.

There are going to be people who say they're not needed etc etc but, they're alot better and a great substitute if your cutting back/quitting.

yes pink I totally agree with you but I read somewhere the other day that medical research has proved that these are harmful to us, not sure I believe that ::huh:

hi fozzy, its the one with the liquid, I personally think they are brilliant, and if I can stop smoking normal cigs with it then anyone can lol.

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 18:19 ----------

yes pink I totally agree with you but I read somewhere the other day that medical research has proved that these are harmful to us, not sure I believe that ::huh:

Not brilliant as in healthy - Brilliant as in a good sub for real cigarettes.

Also, alot contain just flavorings and water vapor, not nicotine so it's a good tool keeping fingers busy.