Jessops (cameras, not hospital)..

All this talk of empty shops on the high street, there seems to be some kind of thinking that they must be replaced with another shop. There doesn't seem to be any thought into any alternatives.

Lets face it, internet shopping is here to stay. The High Street has to be leaner and fitter to compete, so maybe it should be smaller also?

Birkenhead town centre isn't massive (imagine Rotherham but a little less classy) yet it has two GAME stores (one closed), a closed Gamestation, a CEX, a local chain (Grainger games) and an independent. I don't see how such a town can support so many.

How come some of these High Street chains apparently collapse but are then still around? Apparently La Senza went bust but it is still going. Same with Clinton's. And Game.

They get bought out by someone else

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

'Administration' does not necessarily involve closure.

It merely means the appointment of mortgagee's agent/receiver, to try and recoup money lent to the debtor.

I think Jessops have been in trouble for a while. I'm sure I read not so long ago that Canon pumped several million £'s into the business to help them out.

I find it interesting that the likes of Jessops and last year Jacobs been unable to survive, but an independent store like Harrisons on London Rd seem to be doing just fine.

I wondered that too, It cannot be the prices because Jessops can hammer Harrisons on almost everything. I'm assuming it is because photographers being elitists snobs that they are still make up the bulk of Harrisons fan base, they are probably the ones who look down on Jessops.

I wondered that too, It cannot be the prices because Jessops can hammer Harrisons on almost everything. I'm assuming it is because photographers being elitists snobs that they are still make up the bulk of Harrisons fan base, they are probably the ones who look down on Jessops.

overheads.

I liked Jessops. I could go in and ask my amateurish questions and they would put me right. The service was excellent, the shops were well set out.

Camera phones are OK but are no replacement for a camera. I use both and each has its uses. I bought cameras and binoculars at Jessops but the smaller sundries such as lens filters, bags etc are cheaper on Amazon.

I for one will miss them.