If Sheffield's population reached 1 million would Sheffield be better?

chem1st

If Sheffield's population reached 1 million would Sheffield be better?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. If Sheffield's population reached 1 million would Sheffield be better?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't know.

If Sheffield's population reached 1 million would Sheffield be a better place?

Back in the day, Sheffield was 100% greenbelt and it didn't even know it was, then some human beings decided to settle here and improve the idle land and make Sheffield what it is today, over time it's population grew and it became a world city.

For 50 years, the population of the city began to decline,although it has recently began to increase again.

1801 60,095 —

1821 84,540 +40.7%

1841 134,599 +59.2%

1861 219,634 +63.2%

1881 335,953 +53.0%

1901 451,195 +34.3%

1921 543,336 +20.4%

1941 569,884 +4.9%

1951 577,050 +1.3%

1961 574,915 −0.4%

1971 572,794 −0.4%

1981 530,844 −7.3%

1991 528,708 −0.4%

2001 513,234 −2.9%

2011 552 698 +7.7%

The population has still not climbed back up to it's early 1950 levels, but if population growth continues, we could soon set a new record (within a few years).

Within a few of decades, Sheffield could quite possibly become a city of 1 million....

Unless the extra 500,000 want to live on streets there's nowhere to put them ?

I have a plan. "Streets in the sky" I call it. Build up, not out.

What could possibly go wrong?

In answer to the OP's question, Peak Oil will have kicked in long before the population reaches 1 million. At that point, we may see Sheffield return to 1800s population levels.

In answer to the OP's question, Peak Oil will have kicked in long before the population reaches 1 million. At that point, we may see Sheffield return to 1800s population levels.

Now then Baaaaarsley Bill do you think Baaaarnsley may have more whippets than people by then?

I voted yes as it might get more people into the pubs.

I voted yes as it might get more people into the pubs.

Not only could we have more pubs, with more on offer.

We could have more efficient transport.

More shops, better hospitals, more organisations, sports teams, schools and such. Perhaps even an airport.

Perhaps future 'streets in the sky' could be flat roofed and have allotments on the top? :)

-

As for the thread question, it's virtually unanswerable because it doesn't have enough info. If 445,000 people turned up in the next year, it would be chaos. Where would they all live/work etc?

I would take a lodger - I would probably need one as my rent would rocket with so much demand! So that's 444,999 to look elsewhere :D

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 01:28 ----------

Not only could we have more pubs, with more on offer.

We could have more efficient transport.

More shops, better hospitals, more organisations, sports teams, schools and such. Perhaps even an airport.

Now you're just taking the p***! :hihi:

We could do with less people everywhere. I voted no.

Were the population to rise Chem1st states ' We could have more efficient transport. More shops, better hospitals, more organisations, sports teams, schools and such. perhaps even an airport'.

Note the word 'could'. As for more shops, great idea lets promote

consumerism as the 'way forward'. We need to be buying less not more!

ism as the way forward

Archived