Bus stops sited dangerously

Neither actually, lived in area since before you were born (1955) and telling it exactly as it is

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 08:20 ----------

Yes they are outside bus depot and cause disruptions because they block inside lane off and anyone wanting to turn left is stuck behind them on a very busy main road

I don't think you even know what you're saying any more. Only one route changes driver outside the depot -the 88. Which as you've had explained to you numerous times now is done at the specific instructions of Stagecoach Sheffield NOT as you claim down to the laziness of the drivers.

Guest busdriver1
It just annoys me some of the stupid things people do,getting knocked down by buses,trams,and trying to beat trains on level crossings.I worry about the level of intelligence in this country nowadays.

There is a good argument here for letting it happen and allowing natural selection to do its stuff. Trouble is though, I feel that this forum would go quite quiet as a result.

There is a good argument here for letting it happen and allowing natural selection to do its stuff. Trouble is though, I feel that this forum would go quite quiet as a result.

I don't think there is at all, because natural selection doesn't account for modern life, it hasn't had the time to. (however I don't agree with Planner's general ideology which is something that led to the comment that you quoted).

Moreover, if the roads were a 'free for all' as it were, then natural selection wouldn't make any difference to its purpose (if one can argue that it has one other than reproduction); cars/vehicles have only been around for a century or so. In other words - People don't get run over because they were selected to be stupid enough to get run over.

Humans wouldn't be around if they didn't take risks, however many risks are now taken because of distractions of modern life - sensory distractions by unnatural things like 'lots of things going on' - mobiles ringing etc. (you could add p!$$ed to that)

If you take the other side: and if the road was a 'free for all', then moron drivers who may or may not have 'natural superior selective genes' could mo down anyone they like - either superior or non-superior genes.

There's a bad one at the junction of Castlebeck Avenue and Spinkhill Avenue. A lot of traffic use these roads as a rat run between Prince of Wales Road and Richmond Poad. The bus stop is sited just before, within 18 yards, of a left T junction. People joining the main drag, especially those turning right, can't see past the bus at the stop and just tend to pull out. There are always people trying to overtake the bus when it stops and how there aren't more accidents I'll never know. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to overtake a vehicle at a T juntion anyway.

You really are a bit simple arent you?

Bus drivers don't 'decide' where to change drivers, we do it where we're instructed to by the company which employ us.

There are also cases where it is the traffic court who decides where u change over drivers , this is where the companies have failed to ensure that the change overs are done quickly , an example of this is the traffic order which prevents change overs in High Street Sheffield , thats why they are done in Fitzalen Sq - sorry if this as been mentioned.

Neither actually, lived in area since before you were born (1955) and telling it exactly as it is

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 08:20 ----------

Yes they are outside bus depot and cause disruptions because they block inside lane off and anyone wanting to turn left is stuck behind them on a very busy main road

Awwww diddums. So sorry for wasting two minutes of people's oh so important lives whilst they have to wait for the next sequence of lights.

I can't believe how much you post on here without thinking before you type.

The emergency services angle is a total red herring. The same thing would happen as in any situation when the emergency services want to get past other vehicles. They put their blues and twos on and the bus moves out of the way. It's pretty simple stuff.

The instalation of narrowings at bus stops and other similar road safety measures are all consulted on. The emergency services are directly consulted as part of that work and their views and concenrns are taken into account.

The emergency services fully understand why such measures are put in place and because the road safety measures do actually work and reduce the number of collisions and casualties, it makes the job of the emergency services easier and lowers theri costs, because they don't get caled out as often and ther eare less people to treat.

So planner1, can you explain to us how you can put a bus stop in the middle of a narrowd road obstructing traffic including emergency vehicles and the emergency services obstruction act of 2007 that makes it illegal to obstruct them in any way, or are scc above this law?

So planner1, can you explain to us how you can put a bus stop in the middle of a narrowd road obstructing traffic including emergency vehicles and the emergency services obstruction act of 2007 that makes it illegal to obstruct them in any way, or are scc above this law?

When you say middle do you actually mean in a place where both sides are equidistant-would passengers be expected to queue in the road too?It sounded a bit far-fetched.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 15:30 ----------

and there was me wondering how we all managed to make it to our 40's and with no help from the council until 10 years ago whel the elf and wastey, sorry heath and safety got involved.

Get a grip and teach the green cross code like they used to do, we are all sick of the council messing this city up and littering bus stops and traffic lights every 10 yards!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

With these radical views why not stand for election and get the extraneous controls removed?I am sure a lot of people would vote for such a sensible policy.

The bus is stopping to allow boarding and alighting, which is not illegal under any statute.

The bus can move to allow an emergency services vehicle to pass if need be.

As I have said several times, this is a non-issue. The emergency services get consulted when schemes like that are proposed and their comments and objections are treated very seriously. They do not have a problem with this type of arrangement.

If you think that the law is being broken, I suggest you raise the issue with the Chief Constable. Do let us know how you get on.

The bus is stopping to allow boarding and alighting, which is not illegal under any statute.

The bus can move to allow an emergency services vehicle to pass if need be.

As I have said several times, this is a non-issue. The emergency services get consulted when schemes like that are proposed and their comments and objections are treated very seriously. They do not have a problem with this type of arrangement.

If you think that the law is being broken, I suggest you raise the issue with the Chief Constable. Do let us know how you get on.

Maybe not, but it does show that very little common sense has been applied.

Maybe not, but it does show that very little common sense has been applied.

What exactly do you mean by that?

It's been identified that people getting off and on buses are prone to being hit by cars overtaking or passing the bus when they try to cross the road. The layout whaich has been adopted ensures that no traffic can pass the bus when it's in the stop. so, no collisions, no injuries, no fatalities (and of course less need for emergency services to attend and deal with the injuries/fatalities). Yes the odd vehicle gets held up for a few seconds, hardly a high price for life and limb.

Sounds like a great deal of common sense to me.

It sounds like obfuscation to me.

The public transport system in the city is poorly designed if it obstructs the flow of traffic.