Bus stops sited dangerously

What exactly do you mean by that?

It's been identified that people getting off and on buses are prone to being hit by cars overtaking or passing the bus when they try to cross the road. The layout whaich has been adopted ensures that no traffic can pass the bus when it's in the stop. so, no collisions, no injuries, no fatalities (and of course less need for emergency services to attend and deal with the injuries/fatalities). Yes the odd vehicle gets held up for a few seconds, hardly a high price for life and limb.

Sounds like a great deal of common sense to me.

Its odd that we have started to do this but at the same time we have ignored a age old rule in sheffield (and latter south yorks) where we always had passangers at bus stops facing the oncomming bus.

There are examples now of the flag been put at the end of the bus shelter that means people que with their back to on comming traffic one example of this are the stops near middlestons pet shop at bottom of the moor.

Previously it was always done so u qued facing the bus , indeed I seem to remember some sheffield transport stops said que this side , que other side, there was even a special stop oposite burrowlee road at owlerton asking bassett employees to fact the bus

It sounds like obfuscation to me.

The public transport system in the city is poorly designed if it obstructs the flow of traffic.

So, you think motorists saving a few seconds in journey time is more important than people being maimed and killed?

These are real people, they really get maimed and killed.

It's necessary to strike a balance and safety is sometimes more important than journey time.

This one at the junction of Bocking Lane and Westwick Road manages to be a few yards away from two junctions. I fail to see how the siting of this one can possibly improve road safety in any way whatsoever, for anybody.

Edited to add: if you look up the road the other way, you see a nice long bit of straight road with, lo and behold, the bus stop on the other side. So why couldn't they have put it where that white van was, for example?

Edited by metalman

It sounds like obfuscation to me.

The public transport system in the city is poorly designed if it obstructs the flow of traffic.

Public transport is traffic.

The bus is stopping to allow boarding and alighting, which is not illegal under any statute.

The bus can move to allow an emergency services vehicle to pass if need be.

As I have said several times, this is a non-issue. The emergency services get consulted when schemes like that are proposed and their comments and objections are treated very seriously. They do not have a problem with this type of arrangement.

If you think that the law is being broken, I suggest you raise the issue with the Chief Constable. Do let us know how you get on.

Im sorry but the law is quite clear on this so brushing me off saying emergency services were consulred will not wash, they do NOT have the powers to ignore the law either, so was the law discussed and ignored or are scc breaking the law under the guise of their percived road safety?

Not really one that is a safety concern, but can any body explain the one approaching the wicker arches?

As you drive down (with Tesco on the right hand side), you are forced to wait in a big line of traffic, as the left lane is a bus lane all way down. Then, when you can pull into it, there is a bus stop, so you either pull out, straight into the back of a bus, or wait even longer in the right hand lane until you pass the bus!

Why not have the bus stop BEFORE the arrow for pulling out?:confused:

This one at the junction of Bocking Lane and Westwick Road manages to be a few yards away from two junctions. I fail to see how the siting of this one can possibly improve road safety in any way whatsoever, for anybody.

Edited to add: if you look up the road the other way, you see a nice long bit of straight road with, lo and behold, the bus stop on the other side. So why couldn't they have put it where that white van was, for example?

Yes, I'm sure the residents whose houses it would be in front of would be delighted!

The put stops where people would want to get on / off, looks like a reasonable location to me. Close to a side road and main road junctions, so people coming from those directions would use it.

Yes, I'm sure the residents whose houses it would be in front of would be delighted!

The put stops where people would want to get on / off, looks like a reasonable location to me. Close to a side road and main road junctions, so people coming from those directions would use it.

Yes I thought you might say that. So why don't those considerations apply to the one on the other side of the road?

Im sorry but the law is quite clear on this so brushing me off saying emergency services were consulred will not wash, they do NOT have the powers to ignore the law either, so was the law discussed and ignored or are scc breaking the law under the guise of their percived road safety?

Really? Is it now?

The act which you are (incorrectly) citing is the Emergency Workers Obstruction Act of 2006.

Here's what the Government say it's about:

"Emergency workers provide an essential service for their communities. It is clearly essential to ensure that they can go about their business unimpeded, and without encountering abuse or violence. As part of its manifesto, the government made a commitment to ensure tougher sentences for attacks on those serving the public. Emergency workers are one of the categories of workers who are serving the public in their work. This measure therefore complements the government's wider commitment"

This is about addressing the issue of emergency services workers being attacked and abused. So, do explain what this has to do with buses perfectly legally picking up and setting down passengers at a stop? Please do cite the section or sections in the legislation which support your contention and give us some case histories of where it has been applied.

I have to say that even by your standard this attempt at Council knocking is pretty poor. So, I'll challenge you. If you genuinely think there is something illegal going on, show the strength of your beliefs and complain to the Police. And I don't mean anonymously.

But of course you won't, because you know as well as I do that there are no offences being committed. All you are interested in doing is moaning.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 23:39 ----------

Yes I thought you might say that. So why don't those considerations apply to the one on the other side of the road?

It isn't directly outside someone's house and it doesn't have a shelter, so isn't as visually intrusive. Probably more of an alighting spot than a stop where lots of people will be waiting for a bus.

There's one just a bit up the road from the Uni tram stop, its ridiculous, I was getting off the bus once and about to cross the road, a blind corner was not far off, and a car came flying round.

is there actually a planning process when positioning a bus stop?, serious question because the amount i have seen placed in dangerous/stupid places in sheffield is crazy, ie on blind bend down blackstock road, 10 foot from a roundabout and 5 foot from a junction to name just a few!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

If the new one added on Archer Road outside Sainsbury's now that the 87 has been rerouted is anything to go by, then no, there is no planning process at all. They've got a whole stretch of road to choose from and yet they plonk it directly opposite a traffic island so that there is no option of overtaking. So traffic is guaranteed to be blocked every time a bus stops there, for the full time it takes to let on/off passengers. Add in the extra wait that the drivers often have to do in order to keep to schedule and you have traffic mayhem.