Bus stops sited dangerously

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planner1

I'd have thought it was pretty obvious, it's to ensure drivers can't overtake the buses when they are in the stop, because that's when the people who get off the bus are sometimes hit by overtaking drivers.

Hmmm, the door to get on and off the bus is on the near-side( curbside) of the bus, so how are people getting hit by cars?? oh yeah, a lot of People getting off buses immediately curl around the front of the bus to cross the road, putting themselves at risk of being hit by traffic passing the parked up bus. Thats their dumb fault frankly.

survival of the fittest??

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

survival of the fittest??

Its about time pedestrians took some responsibilty for their own road safety instead of the owness being completely on the car driver; its not acceptable to get off a bus, then straight away go around the front of the bus while its still parked up at the bus stop, and cross the road.

You're joking right? When you are on your way home from work and bus drivers block an entire lane of rush hour traffic while they change drivers when they could easily do it in a less awkward place two minutes round corner and disrupt nobody:roll::roll:

You really are a bit simple arent you?

Bus drivers don't 'decide' where to change drivers, we do it where we're instructed to by the company which employ us. Failure to do so would result in disciplinary action.

Stagecoach do change overs for the 87, 265 and 83/83a outside of the Morrisons stop at Ecclesfield, a stop that is also served by the First 76 route as well as the 29 and the X10. During peak times it is impossible to access the stop to change driver or simply load/unload passangers without causing major disruption to the traffic flow. And you want to add the 88 (every 10 minutes) to the mayhem?

Your post(s) is a perfect example of why people who don't know what they're talking about should, frankly, keep their half baked, hair brained ideas to themselves.

Moron

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 21:39 ----------

Not totally true though, lets take the Junction of Norwood Avenue and Herries road, the bus stop is a few meters (yes meters) from the Junction and on a blind bend, only enough room for one car to queue behind a bus therefore forcing others to queue on Herries causing another issue there, naturally certain car drivers will try to pass the bus if it's unloading passangers going to the NGH, so in my opinion it's a major FAIL by the planner because it's in a very dangerous place and on a slight bend too, I could name others but just haven't got the time.

The one next to the Premier shop? If it is this one, it's siting (which isn't great, I will admit) is exacerbated by the fact that so many car drivers park illegally in the bus stop there, forcing the bus to pull wider and blocking off traffic in either direction.

I don't know if it just a Shiregreen thing,but most of the bus stops restrict/stop the flow of traffic.And at school times can totally gridlock certain junctions!.

Also,bus stops 200 yards apart!whats all that about?

1 example being Nethershire shops.3 bus stops from there to corner of Beck road.

I would add Lowedges Road to this, but there are many, many more. I call them lazy stops. There is little or no point in having so many stops so closely situated.

Edited by Annoni_mouse

The worst bus stop is the junction of Norwood Rd & Herries Rd,just off a junction, on a bend, opposite stops where the buses stop & park.

An emergency services vehicle with blues and twos running is visible and audible for a considerable distance. A bus driver would normally have time to ask passengers to step back, close the doors and then pull out of the way without inconvenienecing the emergency services.

This really is a non-issue

Just out of interest what colour are blue lights through rose-tinted specs?

Just out of interest what colour are blue lights through rose-tinted specs?

I wouldn't have the faintest idea.

If the thread title was 'bus stops sited to annoy drivers, but moreover, to unnecessarily stop traffic' then I would entirely agree.

I remember a couple of years ago the buses were on strike for a week or so, and I've never known traffic flow so smoothly as then, during the day. Great times. (though perhaps not for the bus drivers)

I'd love to hear planner and rosy's view to Sheffield Road (through Templeborough), though perhaps not Sheffield's doing, is similar in practice to the locations and comments by dawny and his/her supporters.

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 02:07 ----------

Examples:

Why is this necessary? And does it make the road safer?

Same again...

On the Rotherham side they look like this, which to me looks sensible

and this one on the Rotherham side

What is the difference between these?

Edited by *_ash_*

Y'see, the problem with planners, councillors and ex councillors who pretend it's nowt to do with them, is that they pretend to consult, pretend to be listening, then do what they cook up between themselves anyway and woe betide anyone who disagrees, because those people aren't experts, and they don't understand the issues, and if that looks dicey, the government don't give us enough money.

So in a chance for them to redeem themselves and prove us citizens wrong, I'd like to know...

1. How did the the dangerous 120 bus stop on Redmires Road come about in the first place?
  2. Who's listened to all the complaints?
  3. What's going to be done about it, and when?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=525129

ARE YOU LISTENING NOW?

Quote:

The emergency services angle is a total red herring. The same thing would happen as in any situation when the emergency services want to get past other vehicles. They put their blues and twos on and the bus moves out of the way. It's pretty simple stuff.

The instalation of narrowings at bus stops and other similar road safety measures are all consulted on. The emergency services are directly consulted as part of that work and their views and concenrns are taken into account.

The emergency services fully understand why such measures are put in place and because the road safety measures do actually work and reduce the number of collisions and casualties, it makes the job of the emergency services easier and lowers theri costs, because they don't get caled out as often and ther eare less people to treat.

so are you stating that scc are above the highway code, specificly rule 243 that states you are not allwed to stop or park in such a way that impedes the emergency services

Couple of those on Carlisle street are in really stupid places and the one on Ecclesfield wood bottom outside bus depot is plain lunacy. Not only is it in a place where it holds up all the traffic on inside lane the bus drivers then decide to change over there because they're too idle to walk to one outside Morrisons which would not hold up anyone:roll::roll:

Actually they change over there (88 service only) as they cannot change over at Morrisons due to change over at Morrisons already for services 83/83a, 265, 87.

The 87 was moved from the stop near the Travellers pub because of compliants over road blocking.

Besides there is a steering wheel in your car, try using it to steer round the bus. Works for me on that road.

This one on Fulwood Road makes my laugh. You will see how it is conveniently situated right on a junction making it virtually impossible to pull out of Riverdale road safely. What gives this bus stop its comedy value is the 500 yards of lay by immediately before it used by the school buses for Notre Dame. Why it couldn't be used for normal buses is beyond me.

jb

This one on Fulwood Road makes my laugh. You will see how it is conveniently situated right on a junction making it virtually impossible to pull out of Riverdale road safely. What gives this bus stop its comedy value is the 500 yards of lay by immediately before it used by the school buses for Notre Dame. Why it couldn't be used for normal buses is beyond me.

jb

I fail to see what you are moaning about. You have brakes don't you? Just wait at the junction until the bus moves past.

Besides, it was sited there after consultation with experts and so your opinion does not matter.

[/sARCASM]

so are you stating that scc are above the highway code, specificly rule 243 that states you are not allwed to stop or park in such a way that impedes the emergency services

You have to view these things in context. Taken to the nth degree, that would mean that you could not stop anywhere at all on the highway because at some point the emergency services might want access to that particular spot.

A bus stopping to pick up / set down passengers at a bus stop is not in contravention of any waitng restriction.