Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Most likely an old balanced flue gas fire does the chimney back on to an external wall?

Yeah, backs onto the outside wall, looks like its been bricked by up when whatever fire was there was removed

Even has a dodgy crimped gas pipe at the bottom!

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/littlebasher/media/2013-11-23124712.jpg.html

Could the marble be cut out to accommodate a recessed balanced flue fire such as the Flavel Calibre ?

wondering if anyone could help me out here (noobie DIY'er)

we bought a house this year and switched the heating on a good few weeks ago. the radiators have all heated up fine...except one. It is in the kitchen and is part of a large kitchen so it leaves the area pretty cold compared to the rest of the house.

Im not a DIY man (yet) but wondered what i should do. I did the basic of bleeding the radiator making sure clear water ran. but it didnt seem to shift it.

The rad doesn't have a thermostat on it, just two flat-ended valves.

help :roll:

Is it completely cold (or maybe just warm), cold at the top or cold at the bottom?

EDIT

Just reread your post and it states that water came out when you bled it so it should be empty of air.

I'd go with Willman's suggestion BUT - I would only turn off one valve on each radiator - not both. One valve is a lockshield valve and is used to balance the system. It could be that your system is already balanced and that the radiator to the kitchen is airlocked. If you close all the valves then you may find the whole system out of balance when you come to open them all again.

Oh, check that the two valves to the kitchen radiator are fully open.

Edited by big_g

it is luke warm (not hot) throughout the rad.

willman - how do i do that :( sorry

To balance your radiators you usually close all the inlet valves (Not the thermostat end) and starting from the one nearest the boiler and work out, open the valve slightly until the rad' gets hot, move to the next and open a little more than the last until that gets hot, keep going until you reach the end.

To balance your radiators you usually close all the inlet valves (Not the thermostat end) and starting from the one nearest the boiler and work out, open the valve slightly until the rad' gets hot, move to the next and open a little more than the last until that gets hot, keep going until you reach the end.

They might not know what order the radiators are served, if all the pipes are hidden.

If you start from cold, (although ideally with a hot boiler from just heating hot water - depends on type of system whether you can easily do this) with all rads open, then move round the house feeling the inlet pipe to each rad to see which start heating up first. Once you know the order, then do as V.Rossi says.

---------- Post added 27-11-2013 at 15:20 ----------

I assume the valves to the luke warm one are open. Is the heating pipe serving the radiator hot, or is that luke warm as well?

Its not an easy tack to balance them and its quite laborious. However after draining i nearly always need to force one rad to fill.

The way i usually do it (personal choice)

Turn the lockshield end off Turn them all down. Set heating running and wait until the rad gets hot for a few minutes. Turn heating off for a few minutes and then bleed the rad.

Then starting with the furthest from the boiler turn the valve open and set heating running. Chance are the lockshield valves won't be balanced and will need tweaking.

You could always use the plumbers quick fix first and crank the pump up to its highest setting.