Hospital TV rip off

You are paying for the SERVICE of having a bedside television that you can watch what you want when you want. Nothing to do with the licence fee.

Paying a licence fee for your sets at home does not entitle you to a free personal television set anytime or anywhere you go.

Just think of it as renting a tv set whilst in hospital.

Bottom line is nobody is forced to pay the fee. You can make your entertainment if you wish. There is plenty of modern technology around to do that.

I love how there seem to be parallels in the way people speak about prison inmates and hospital patients - "there to be treated / punished, not to watch telly", almost as if the ill should be on the same level as prisoners and anyone making their stay more comfortable is a malingerer wallowing in the luxuries of an NHS ward

Just think of it as renting a tv set whilst in hospital.

Not the same. If you rent a TV set you have a choice of companies to rent from each with their own charges. Or you have the option to use your old set or buy a set. This doesn't apply so it's not quite the same thing. The problem is your choice is not "none, a b or c", it's "take it or leave it", and given that the options for things to do are limited, someone like me who doesn't watch much TV at all would probably feel driven up the wall by boredom enough to watch in hospital.

Charge a motorist for a service of parking facilities and it's "poor me, look at me being fleeced I'm just a cash cow" not "ah well, it's a service I can choose not to use if I so wish, and look at how much it cost to build". Give someone ill the same option and it's "put up or shut up"

Edited by Squiggs

If youre in hospital that long just buy an ipad, 55 days should cover the initial outlay (ipad2 £329/£6 per day)but then you have the internet usage to pay for. O2 will give you 200mb for £2.04 per day, that should last a couple of hours. Or even better set up a company providing rental of ipads with access to wifi at hospitals, if you can do it for less than £6 per day youre on to a winner.

So having free healthcare on the NHS isn't enough for you people? :rant:

It's a HOSPITAL, not a Hotel.

I'm genuinely disgusted by freeeloaders like you lot, such a sense of entitlement it sickens me.

I think people are happy to pay but not to be fleeced-none have requested a free service just a fair one.

I'm genuinely disgusted by freeeloaders like you lot, such a sense of entitlement it sickens me.

Good post. Well said:thumbsup:

I love how there seem to be parallels in the way people speak about prison inmates and hospital patients - "there to be treated / punished, not to watch telly", almost as if the ill should be on the same level as prisoners and anyone making their stay more comfortable is a malingerer wallowing in the luxuries of an NHS ward

A very interesting observation. :)

Ironically, too, television in hospital is a lot more expensive than it is in prison. People can make of that what they will.

Hospital patients forced to pay £10 A DAY to watch TV when prisoners pay just £1 A WEEK

Hospital patients are being forced to fork out up to £10 a day to watch their favourite programmes - while prisoners pay just £1 a week to watch shows and films in their cells.

The cost of packages in some hospitals has more than doubled in six years, prompting a health watchdog to warn that expensive prices have put them out of the reach of the poorest patients needing care.

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

You paid into the NHS for HEALTHCARE, not to catch up on Jeremy Kyle sorry.

Free food, free bed, free water, electricity, healthcare, medicine, Nurses and Doctors wages the list goes on.

And then to have the cheek to complain about paying for TV, I'm sorry, you're all embarrassing

As a pensioner, if you are in for any length of time your pension is reduced.

Granma.

I'm not against the principal of charging for access to TV, but the blatant profiteering is immoral.

Why not just watch it on your laptop?

I bet you are a Tory supporter. I think what you say is disgusting:gag:

Don't feed the trolls, it only encourages them.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

To disagree is NOT to troll.

OR if it is then I am now trolling.

Someone's been on google