Hospital TV rip off

I actually agree with Gram here; you don't go into hospital to watch television, you go to have an illness treated. Whether you think it's fair or not, you do not need television in your life. If you don't want to pay for it then go without. You could always read a book if you're bored.

I really find it hard to believe that people hate the NHS! What about things like building a country fit for heroes?:|

This private system has been in our hospitals for years & years. It's been a total rip off right from the start and people have been complaining about it to various governments for years but nothing is done about it. Surprise surprise !!! I've been an in patient several times and I refuse to pay their extortionate rates. I know it's not easy but if everybody did the same I'm sure it would have some consequence, but they won't. People moan but still use it. :rant

I don't think people mind paying for a service. WHAT WE DO MIND IS BEING TOTALLY RIPPED OFF. :mad:

GRAN ? Words fail me, CLOUD CUCKOO LAND !!!!! :loopy::huh:

GRAN ? Words fail me, CLOUD CUCKOO LAND !!!!! :loopy::huh:

Gran? lol.

Hospital TV should be paid for by the minutes actually viewed. That would be fair, but viewing time tick by even when patients are asleep or still sedated post-op.

I have lost count of the number of times relatives set the TV up for people before an operation only to find that their time has expired before they are well enough to watch it.

Also it is extremely unfair on older people who can be in hospital for months at a time just staring at the walls because they can't afford the extortionate fees. Everyone can do without the TV for a few days, but imagine sitting in a chair with nothing to do, day after day after day.

Gran? lol.

Sorry my mistake, sometimes I'm in cloud cuckoo land too :hihi::loopy:

Also it is extremely unfair on older people who can be in hospital for months at a time just staring at the walls because they can't afford the extortionate fees. Everyone can do without the TV for a few days, but imagine sitting in a chair with nothing to do, day after day after day.

Yep, I did that, for 2 months. It wasn't much fun, but then again having neurosurgery to remove a tumour wasn't much fun either.

It wasn't the end of the world, although a TV in the day room would have been nice.

In 1984 when I had my daughter I took my own portable TV into the hospital with me and the nurses used to come to my room every night to watch TV! :-)

Sorry my mistake, sometimes I'm in cloud cuckoo land too :hihi::loopy:

How am I in cloud cuckoo land? I only have a differing opinion, please tell me what is SPECIFICALLY so "cuckoo" about my point of view?

Bully.

Actually those buying for a longer period get better value - for example a month is around £50 whereas 3 days is £27.50 (because clearly shorter stays are more the norm and where the most profit can be made).

I like the concept of bedside TVs but the costs are very wrong.

£17.50 for 3 days not £27.50

So in that case its just under £6.00 a day (even less if you subscribe longer) for your own personal bedside tv, internet and phone system.

Hardly a "rip off" is it considering how much it costs to actually install a system as complex as that.

Mayble the OP should re-do the maths a bit.

Or maybe they ought to remember how it used to be when patients had nothing at their bedside and if they were lucky had to make do with a communal tv room with very little option to choose what and when you could watch.

If they object so strongly to the fees they can CHOOSE not to pay.

....take a book, take an ipod. You are there to get treatment from an illness not gorpe at the tv all day.

Bottom line,is I think its wrong to charge people who are ill money to watch bbc or other free channels on a cheap tv screen especially when they are probably already paying for a tv licence.