Hospital TV rip off

Do they allow you to stay in the boiler room?

Bit of a nonsensical comment really wasn't it, mind you there may be less MRSA floating about.QUOTE]

And how many barrier nursed rooms did you witness that were specifically MRSA barrier nursed?

I didn't say I witnessed it did I!

It's only been 12 weeks since the last case anyway , mind you it has the worst record for CDiff for a hospital of that size.

Check the NHS website.

Do they allow you to stay in the boiler room?

Bit of a nonsensical comment really wasn't it, mind you there may be less MRSA floating about.

If you are really in pain tv is the last thing you want, trust me.

They can charge as much as they like for all I care, so long as they only work on headphones.

Talk about nonsensical comments. Thought it was common knowledge that warm areas for instance ' A Boiler Room' are the perfect breeding ground for bugs such as MRSA. If I was aware the bug was traveling through the hospital it wouldn't be my choice of safety lol.

Also anything that can occupy your mind when your in pain is a bonus, whether it be watching tv or reading (though with many distractions around you reading can be difficult), trust me.

So having free healthcare on the NHS isn't enough for you people? :rant:

It's a HOSPITAL, not a Hotel.

I'm genuinely disgusted by freeeloaders like you lot, such a sense of entitlement it sickens me.

I agree, free healthcare, free food, free bed, free people running around after you.

TV is a luxury item in a hospital and I really don't see why people think it must be free, when it's not necessary and it costs the hospital money.

Would people rather the NHS not spend money on life saving equipment just so they can get a bit of free telly in bed?

Edited by Super Hans

I agree, free healthcare, free food, free bed, free people running around after you.

TV is a luxury item in a hospital and I really don't see why people think it must be free, when it's not necessary and it costs the hospital money.

Would people rather the NHS not spend money on life saving equipment just so they can get a bit of free telly in bed?

Yes TV could be classed as a 'luxury item' and correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't read a single post where anyone has said it should be FREE. The title of the thread simply says it's a rip off and should be cheaper.

You telling me that you agree with every penny you spend? eg, car insurance, fuel costs, phone bills, holidays etc etc? And if your going to tell me you do your either lying or your one of the lucky ones and have so much money that it doesn't matter.

Just for curiosity, have you ever had a lengthy stay in hospital?

He obviously hasn't read the previous posts. It really annoys me when they spout up not knowing what's previously been said.

It isn't free. It is paid for out of tax. It's only free at the point of need.

TV is a luxury item in a hospital

Why is it a luxury? Who says it is? Who defines what is a luxury?

[...] when it's not necessary and it costs the hospital money.

Who says it isn't necessary?

Keeping people in good morale helps people heal quicker, and get out of hospital quicker, and get back to work quicker, so they can pay their tax and help more people in hospital.

End on a false dichotomy. Quick and simple thinking.

I put forward the idea that privatising television within hospitals is a wholly negative thing. The benefits returned from giving people free tv would grossly outweigh the cost of organising it.

----------------

Most people in hospital will either have a salary, benefit, pension or other source of regular income.

So it's okay to give prisoners something cheap, because they don't have much money?

Have the common decency not to break the law, go to work, or have the bad luck to become ill, and someone should pay more because they're not on prison wages?

Prisoners also have limited and controlled access to television and dont have a specifically installed individually controlled multimedia tv/internet/game/ system right at their bedside.

You're making me feel sorry for them. The poor things.

What would be a fair price then?

How about ... free. :)

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

I put forward the idea that privatising television within hospitals is a wholly negative thing. The benefits returned from giving people free tv would grossly outweigh the cost of organising it.

TV doesn't make people better, treatment does.

TVs don't cure cancer, TVs don't fix your broken spine, treatment does.

And I tell you, I hope nobody in your family loses out on life saving treament because the hospital spunked all their money up the wall on TVs.

TV doesn't make people better, treatment does.

I never said TVs made people better. I said higher morale helps people heal quicker, and get out of hospital quicker. I'll go beyond tv. I think it would be of benefit to people to have entertainment in the wards, and pet therapy (wherever possible), and good food.

TVs don't cure cancer, TVs don't fix your broken spine, treatment does.

Yet again, I never said that. You're not attacking what I said, but making your own arguments up.

the hospital spunked all their money up the wall on TVs.

A beautiful choice of words. You think it'll cost billions of pounds to "spunk" a tv up a wall? :)

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

Right, so if TV does make people heal quicker then they can use the money they saved not having to heat/electrify their home or feed themselves and spend it on hospital TV.

It would be a huge issue for me if the doctor came and said "Yeah hi Super Hans you're having the leg amputated today, we can't afford any morphine or anesthetic though so you'll feel everything, pass me the chainsaw. BTW are you enjoying the free TV?".

Right, so if TV does make people heal quicker then they can use the money they saved not having to heat/electrify their home or feed themselves and spend it on hospital TV.

You've presumed that these people live alone. :)

It would be a huge issue for me if the doctor came and said "Yeah hi Super Hans you're having the leg amputated today, we can't afford any morphine or anesthetic though so you'll feel everything, pass me the chainsaw. BTW are you enjoying the free TV?".

Diamorphine is a very cheap drug. Do try harder.

Secondly, another false dichotomy. That we can have either drugs, or tv, but not both. :)

You've presumed that these people live alone. :)

Diamorphine is a very cheap drug. Do try harder.

Secondly, another false dichotomy. That we can have either drugs, or tv, but not both. :)

Ok just food then, you're not buying food for yourself, buy TV.

The money has to come from somewhere in the hospital budget, where would you cut it from?