Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Last summer we purchased the freehold with the professional help from Jeffrey Shaw. Takes the stress out of it but Coopen may ask for a larger some that you estimate. Jeffrey provided options and we made the decision what route to take. This will make our extension easier in the future. Easy with a professional

Last summer we purchased the freehold with the professional help from Jeffrey Shaw. Takes the stress out of it but Coopen may ask for a larger some that you estimate. Jeffrey provided options and we made the decision what route to take. This will make our extension easier in the future. Easy with a professional

1 How much did it cost to buy the freehold ?

2 and how many years were remaining on the lease ?

3. How long did all the process take?

Reason I’m asking is because I have just pulled out of buying a property which was lease hold and coppen estates were the lease holders. I have been waiting over 3 months for a price for the free hold from coppen estates but no luck.

1 How much did it cost to buy the freehold ?

2 and how many years were remaining on the lease ?

3. How long did all the process take?

Reason I’m asking is because I have just pulled out of buying a property which was lease hold and coppen estates were the lease holders. I have been waiting over 3 months for a price for the free hold from coppen estates but no luck.

There are some rough calculations online to get an idea of the cost, companies like Coppen know the cost for the full legal process so often make their offer at just under that amount.

You then have the option of going the legal route or paying them - it's not mega expensive like you hear about in the news though.

Coppen transactions do take quite a long time, but much of this is the need to negotiate the price- more tricky when the lease has an unexpired term < 80yrs.

---------- Post added 11-04-2018 at 16:04 ----------

I have just pulled out of buying a property which was lease hold and coppen estates were the lease holders**. I have been waiting over 3 months for a price for the free hold from coppen estates but no luck.

1. ** = No. If the property was leasehold, then Coppen must have been the reversioner (probably freehold).

2. Asking Coppen for a sale price is the wrong way to proceed. It often does not reply at all to informal approaches, whether letter or telephone- only to a Notice of Claim.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Just received another ground rent request from Coppen that includes charges for not using their required insurer. I have issued them with what I believe to be a valid s.164 Notice for each insurance period,including a copy of the insurance documents, always within the required notice period and by registered post. Is there any way to get them to remove these charges from our bill or to explain why they think the S.164 notices are not valid? The outstanding amount of charges is around £250.00 now. We always pay the ground rent component by cheque and these are cashed, so we know they are in receipt of our covering letter asking for these charges to be removed.

Ian B

Edited by molecularbob

I know the standard advice is to buy the reversion (? spelling), but we pay £7 a year and have ~800 years still to run, so the costs involved don't look too tempting at the moment. That may change if we need planning for anything, but at the moment we don't.

Just want them to stop putting these charges on our bill if they are not valid.

---------- Post added 12-04-2018 at 15:38 ----------

Maybe I should pay and then open a small claims process to get the money back? That might focus their idea of customer service a little?

Edited by molecularbob