Jump to content

Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have a contact name at Coppen Estates? My sols have been trying to give notice to them and settle ground rent as I’m selling my house (leasehold) but they are not responding....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lousea said:

Does anyone have a contact name at Coppen Estates? My sols have been trying to give notice to them and settle ground rent as I’m selling my house (leasehold) but they are not responding....

Coppen tends to be unresponsive to letters and telephone calls. BUT I do happen to have its bank details.

No, I'm not going to publish them; please ask your solicitors to contact me direct, during office hours.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jeffrey, I will speak to my Sols today and advise. Would that be enough though or would they still require a letter of confirmation from Coppen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lousea said:

Thanks Jeffrey, I will speak to my Sols today and advise. Would that be enough though or would they still require a letter of confirmation from Coppen? 

That's presumably up to your solicitors and also depends on what your purchaser's solicitors require. The aim is to prove that you have paid all ground rent that has fallen due, so that Notice of Transfer can be served following completion.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this problem? I’m currently trying to buy a house in Hillsborough. The emphasis is on “trying”. The previous owners bought the freehold from Coppen Estates, but there was a fault in the title, as the freehold didn’t cover the part of the house that extends over the common ginnel that gives access to the rear. It’s called a “flying freehold”.  After months of inactivity, CE are now refusing to give us a flying freehold, which will probably make it very difficult to sell the house when the time comes, because we’re advised that mortgage companies will not offer a mortgage in these circumstances. So we’re wondering if we should proceed with the sale? Can anyone throw light on this ? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're the buyer walk away and let the owner deal with the mess.

 

Plenty of other houses in Hillsborough to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stephen Parr said:

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this problem? I’m currently trying to buy a house in Hillsborough. The emphasis is on “trying”. The previous owners bought the freehold from Coppen Estates, but there was a fault in the title, as the freehold didn’t cover the part of the house that extends over the common ginnel that gives access to the rear. It’s called a “flying freehold”.  After months of inactivity, CE are now refusing to give us a flying freehold, which will probably make it very difficult to sell the house when the time comes, because we’re advised that mortgage companies will not offer a mortgage in these circumstances. So we’re wondering if we should proceed with the sale? Can anyone throw light on this ? Thanks.

Why did the current vendors buy a technically defective title? Their solicitors ought to have noticed this.

As per the preceding post, don't touch it unless your own solicitors can rectify matters before you commit yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jeffrey,

 

i want to buy the freehold for my property from coppen (yearly rent = £50, remaining term = 99 years ) but i have to wait until next June by which point i will have owned the house for 2 years. At that point my intention is to contact you to discuss formally.

 

I wondered if you could give me a rough estimate of cost based on the info above just so i have a general idea how much i need to have available by the time June comes around.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jodman said:

Hi Jeffrey,

 

i want to buy the freehold for my property from coppen (yearly rent = £50, remaining term = 99 years ) but i have to wait until next June by which point i will have owned the house for 2 years. At that point my intention is to contact you to discuss formally.

 

I wondered if you could give me a rough estimate of cost based on the info above just so i have a general idea how much i need to have available by the time June comes around.

 

Thanks.

Price for f/r: don't know- but it's likely to be > £1500, as the lease's residue will be only about 98yrs.

 

Coppen's fees: currently £500 + VAT for conveyancing work (even though, bizarrely, its solicitor confirms that his firm does NOT receive that amount!) plus £500 + VAT for valuation fee (even though, bizarrely, Coppen does not usually appoint any valuer and all negotiations tend to be direct with its Mr Pennington!)

 

Purchase fees: usually about £600-£700 + VAT and about £50 of HMLR fees.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.