Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

From Kelly's directory for 1925:

..Underhay John Wm., railway inspector, 8 Manvers Road.

1911 census return, at the same address:

..William Underhay, age 47, railway inspector, born London

..Anne Underhay, age 49, born Sheffield

..Six children, all born Sheffield:

..William Henry, 22, Annie, 20, Alfred, 18, Edith, 15, Ida, 11 and Gladys, 9.

Edited by hillsbro

Today marks 43 years since the last day of outbound passenger services from Sheffield Victoria ( 04-01-1970 )

Left Victoria for Leicester 1946 10 &11 yr old with old batterd case tied up with a bit of string now no one told us how to spell Leicester so we went sailing by and landup in london by the time we got back to leicester about 3 hrs late asked the first bobby we saw for Lovebor rd (Loughbough)just never understood why he was just laughing his head off we spoke no English only Penistone Rd Sheffield which was about as far from english you could get,

used to travel from victoria station to manchester piccadilly every other week to go to old trafford ; once went to manchester from midland station via hoppe station train was from london and it was full vof football supporters or so i believed they were animals they smashed most of the windows in the carrige and ripped toilet out of the floor and chucked it through the carrige window i have never been so scared i was 14 at the time never went to manchester on train since go by road its safer :o:o:o:o:o

Today marks 43 years since the last day of outbound passenger services from Sheffield Victoria ( 04-01-1970 )
I was there - it was a cold dark night. The train left Platform 3 with a bang - or rather, several bangs (a row of detonators on the line). Three or four railway policemen were keeping order on the platform, including a mean-looking plain-clothes man in a trilby. A sad day..:( Edited by hillsbro

I was a fireman at Darnall Loco from 1963 until it closed in 1965 then I was stationed at Tinsley loco. I did many trips through Victoria, local goods trips between Bernard Road Sidings, Bridgehouses, Harvest Lane, Neepsend Gasworks, Neepsend Power Station and up to Wadsley Bridge.The first passanger train I ever worked on was on Christmas Eve, from The Vic. to Retford. We used to work to Lincoln, Doncaster and Cleethorpes, Darnall men used to work the Master Cutler to Kings Cross, but I never got on it, I did get a

s far as Banbury once with the York-Bournmouth, which reversed at the Vic.

Happy days,happy memories, wish I could do it all over again.

i remember those steps from the wicker they seemed to go on forever i used to go to manchester on a regular basis to see our clarence so you know who it is speak to you soon

was the road thhat led up to victoria station called victoria approach :huh::huh::huh:

was the road thhat led up to victoria station called victoria approach :huh::huh::huh:
It was generally known as Victoria Station Approach, but its official name was Victoria Station Road - here is an old map..:)

I remember Victoria Station well as I was the Station Electrician for 3 years and had too move to Tinsley Marshalling Yard on its closure. It was a great place to work with an underpass too the platforms where the toilets were. Old hands had a key to the booths but I didn't and had to pay a penny to go, their was an enquiry office at the front where a very attractive young woman worked funnily enough called Victoria. She was far too good for me of course but I must admit she bought me the odd drink or two in the refreshment rooms on occasion,arr happy days.

Edited by macstewart

New someone who worked in the Victoria Station Parcels Office which was situated in one of the railway arches.

He collected maggots off the walls and used them when he went fishing!

Hi steviered my father was either a fireman or maybe by 63 he was a guard that was at darnall he started as a boiler washer I think about 1945 he retired in 1975. We as children used to go to cleethorpes on his free pass.Loved those steam trains.

I remember Victoria Station well as I was the Station Electrician for 3 years and had too move to Tinsley Marshalling Yard on its closure

We used Sheffield Victoria a lot my dad being a railway man I will never understand why it closed after spending money on electrification which was fast to Manchester even now a faster service than from Midland Stn.My dad worked at Tinsley Marshalling Yard from the first day it opened he was West end yard Forman.I followed suit by being a messenger lad at Bridgehouses Goods yard from school thanks for the memories