Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

I traveled regularly from the Victoria to work in Manchester for a few years before the line closed. It was a great service for me but when it closed it was not practical for me to use the other line. I remember locomotives which I think were called Pandora and Electra.

... I remember locomotives which I think were called Pandora and Electra.
Yes indeed - here is a photo of 27006 Pandora at Sheffield Victoria in 1965. The other six passenger locos. were Electra, Ariadne, Aurora, Diana, Juno and Minerva. When the passenger service ended in 1970 they were not scrapped but sold to the Netherlands; here is another photo of Pandora in service there..:)

Victoria,

Midland,

Wadsley bridge,

Darnall,

Attercliffe,

Brightside,

Heeley.

To name but a few.

hiya,don't forget totley and millhouses, the last time I used a train was from millhouse station some went to the midland in town, me I lived at heeley at the time and got off there only on Fridays, why ? the roads were always full of cars, the bus fare was 8d, the train fare was 10d and it was quicker, no sooner had you got on it was a waste of time looking for a seat.

I wrote some while ago on another thread about an old mate whose dad was a porter at the royal Victoria hotel and he told us of the night he was on lift duty, a quiet night he told us, when asking what floor the man wanted and it was boris Karloff no other he was at the lyceum theatre, this was the early 50s.

Edited by willybite

hiya, don't forget totley and millhouses...
.. and don't forget Beauchief, between the two..:)

I traveled back to Sheffield Victoria once when I was about 8 years old. I'd been to my relatives house near Skegness. I think I went there by car (it's a long time ago!!) and stayed on in the school hols so had to come back on my own-----it was safe to do that kind of thing then.The ticket was bought at Skegness for Sheffield Midland, I remember it because we arranged for my mum to meet me there at the correct arrival time. The journey from Skeggy is not the best in the country and before long it was dark so I could not see where we were....and then the train stopped...and started again...and stopped again. It was getting very late,it was pitch black outside, I was worried and everyone else in the carriage seemed to be too. Eventually we arrived at Sheffield Victoria very late having been diverted into some sidings somewhere. My mum had been inquiring at Sheffield Midland as to the train's whereabouts and she was directed to Victoria. To much relief it all ended ok although we had missed the last bus home and had to walk (could not afford taxis in those days)

I am wearing my rose tinted spectacles and speaking as an old git with many childhood train spotting memories.

To me there was something romantic about the Victoria, it's architecture and surroundings.

The potential of seeing such a variety of loco's.

B1's, V2's, A1's, Director class, Britannia's and even the very occasional A4 and then of course the electric's.

ex Train Spotters live and die with some cherished memories of a time when the world somehow moved along much slower. Even the tram journey down into the Wicker and the climb up those steps made the day.

If you went late evening you even saw a few rats running around at the far end of the platform.

At semi final time at Hillsborough when a London team was competing, a good idea to go there on the Saturday afternoon and get sight of an A4.

... an old git with many childhood train spotting memories...
That's me to a 'T'..:P
...At semi final time at Hillsborough when a London team was competing, a good idea to go there on the Saturday afternoon and get sight of an A4.
Oh now I'm really jealous - I never did see a "streak" at Victoria. The "Brit" on the Harwich boat train was the main event of the day, often viewed from the wall at Bernard Road where you could see the comings and goings from both Midland and Victoria stations..:)

in the 60s me an my mate jimmy birchall, used to walk to Victoria station with heavy load of fishing tackle, we had to walk as there was no buses at 4.30 on a sunday morning, it would take ages to get there when your only 14 or 15 years old we used to go fishing a lot in those days so we used to catch a train to linccolnshire to the rivers there we would go to places like Sleaford bardeny and fish the whitham great but cold days mostly till the sun shone when we would come home burnt, to a crisp all in the name of sport x

That's me to a 'T'..:POh now I'm really jealous - I never did see a "streak" at Victoria. The "Brit" on the Harwich boat train was the main event of the day, often viewed from the wall at Bernard Road where you could see the comings and goings from both Midland and Victoria stations..:)

Hi Hillsboro

I occasionally went spotting in that location, problem is now I can't quite recognise the exact place on what I thought was Blast Lane. I think it could be surrounded by industry.

Went from Victoria on my honeymoon back in 1960, we had 5 days in Bridlington, all we could afford, I remember having to change at Hull, as an afterthought people think they are hard-up these days.

...I can't quite recognise the exact place on what I thought was Blast Lane. I think it could be surrounded by industry.
Hi Runningman - Blast Lane is still there alongside the canal but the adjacent area is pretty much unrecognisable. Building the Parkway involved cutting through the location where we used to sit on the wall, with Bernard Road now being carried on a new bridge over the Parkway. The junction of the Parkway and Derek Dooley Way is almost directly over where the signal box used to be. Here is a then-and-now comparison of an old map and a modern "Bing" aerial view of the equivalent area. The location of the wall where we train-spotted is marked with a red arrow on the map. The blue arrow marks the direction in which two photos, old and new were taken. Here is the old photo - the upper bridge carried Navigation Hill, which linked Blast Lane with Bernard Road. The lower bridge carried the line into the old LMS goods station. Navigation Hill was replaced by part of the Supertram route - shown on this modern photo.

Hi Hillsboro and many thanks for an informative response which I am sure many other 'Anoracks ' will have found interesting !

Your info has stirred some memories and I now remember wandering about unofficially taking photos on the bridge spanning the Nunnery junction before it's demolition.