Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

I travelled on the boat train to Harwich in 1962 as part of a school trip to Denmark via Holland and Germany. There is a photo of the group on Friends Reunited Jordanthorpe at Victoria Station about to leave.

I vaguely remember me and my sister going on either the last or one of the last steam trains from Victoria Station to London, it must have been sometime during the 60's because we lived in London at the time.

When I was serving in he RN in 1956 and stationed near Winchester, a direct service would bring me to Victoria station from there. My mother was a chambermaid at the Royal Victoria Hotel as a young woman, which served as the main station hotel in Sheffield in the twenties.

I used to travel to Cleethorpes from there in the 1960s as a child and remember the steps going up to the station from the Wicker Archers,, its a long time ago but I can't see where the steps used to be though my mind tells me they where on the right side of the arches looking ffrom the Wicker side or is my memory playing games.

HI Paul. Come on ! how could they have been on the left, there was the hay and straw merchants with a way round the back,then the lift, and adjacent was the steps. Cheers Arthur.

I used to travel to Cleethorpes from there in the 1960s as a child and remember the steps going up to the station from the Wicker Archers,, its a long time ago but I can't see where the steps used to be though my mind tells me they where on the right side of the arches looking ffrom the Wicker side or is my memory playing games.

The steps are still their but rather over grown with weeds and trees, Network Rail are going to clear the steps up in the next few months they have told us

Went on many trains from that station as a kid on holidays . My dad worked on the railways at the time . If I can remember rightly we used to get free or cheap fares to wherever we went . Happy days :)

I vaguely remember me and my sister going on either the last or one of the last steam trains from Victoria Station to London, it must have been sometime during the 60's because we lived in London at the time.

In January 1960, express passenger services from London to Sheffield Victoria and Manchester were discontinued, leaving only three "semi-fast" London-Nottingham trains per day

In the 1960's we used to catch the sleeper train from Victoria Station to the Isle of Wight ferry terminal.

My first job after leaving school was as a management trainee (cheap labour....) in Ashton under Lyne. So I used to travel from Sheffield Victoria to Guide Bridge, and then walk about a mile. Nice trains - am I correct in thinking they were DC (direct current) as opposed to the more usual AC electrics?

Then I scrounged an old Austin A40 from the 'pool', and battled with the Snake Pass every day............

am I correct in thinking they were DC (direct current) as opposed to the more usual AC electrics?

Yes, the Woodhead electrics were 1500v DC.

we travelled from victoria station to go to Belle Vue manchester the last time was approx 1968 we went as a four some me and my girl friend a lad called geoffrey hunt and his girl friend ann . It was Easter time and on our return journey the train was full we travelled all the way back in the guards van no heating and it was snowing at the time and freezing cold,but happy days and good memories.