I dont believe it, how much?

Fantastic, you are a regular customer of Greggs, and sometimes treat your family to an evening out at a £3.50 carvery and you have the nerve to come on here and act all food snob?

While we're one the subject, have you ever noticed how the steaks from Aldi are always hung for 2hrs, now that's what I call quality, not that 28 day crap that costs 10x as much and you have to wait for it :hihi:

There are some right thirty bob salads with their heads up their own arses on this thread.

There's nothing wrong with some of these cheap pub carveries offering a choice of meats and a good variety of veg for a bargain price.

The same as there's nothing wrong with going out for a fillet steak at extortianate prices, the latter is not always the best but if YOU enjoy it that's all that matters.

I use both types of establishment depending on what takes my fancy.

They do though, now, don't they? I understood they got the same protection a couple of years ago as Champagne and Stilton, so that to be called "Cornish Pasties" they do have to be made there. I'm not sure what the protection order is called in the UK, I know it's known as DOC in Italy

They do according to this

http://www.properpasty.co.uk/pgi-approval-only-authentic-cornish-pasties/

So. What it boils down to is that you are paying for uncooked pasties to be transported the length of the country just to be called "Cornish".

The pasty that you buy from Pinstone Street pales in comparison to a "real" pasty.

Pinstone Street's have increased in their relative pastry content over the years and must be close to 50% by now.

Edited by cgksheff

i cant quite belive you are trying to comapre a"Greggs" pasty and a three pound fifty carvery!!!! neither contains much meat or of dubious sources:hihi::hihi: the proper pasty ones are the genuine article freshly baked and made in cornwall never had a bad one yet.....some people obviously buy their "food" on price alone:roll:

Have you ever been to Crosspool tavern carvery? You get a lot more meat than is in any pasty, and you get to see the meat being carved and you get to see the vegetables and make a choice, depending on what you think looks appealing or not.

I've had Vegetarian pasties in Cornwall which I have paid a premium for that clearly had some sort of meat in them. I have also had to take several back as the 'potato' in them was rotten and black. If you clearly know all the facts about where the ingredients in your pasty have been sourced, and can trust the pasty makers, that's fine, but in the majority of cases, give me a cheap carvery, where I can see the ingredients and choose them for myself any day. I'm not sure I get the whole 'food snobbery' thing. If you pay more does it mean it's better quality? There's no company I know that makes more of a song and dance about it's ingredients and sources' according to it's literature, than McDonalds, but I think I'd still prefer a £3.50 carvery. What's the problem regarding quality? Is it a better quality of potato? What's the definition of a good potato? McDonalds apparently only use the best Maris Piper, but I still prefer the roasties at my local carvery. And if the vegetables at the local carvery are freshly prepared and cooked, and locally sourced, isn't that better than freeze drying it, and then heating it up?

I've lived in Cornwall; if you want a proper pasty you go off the beaten track. The hundreds of 'traditional pasty' shops in places like Newquay and Penzance just serve up cheap rubbish for tourists, no better than Greggs.

I've had some terrible pasties in Cornwall; the Proper Pasty shop up here might not be as good as the best places in Cornwall, but it's better than the £2.50 pasty shops on the seafront that rip off the 'as tha got parkin fert afters' type of tourist.

More to the point.. who really cares anyway? No one forces you to buy a pasty from them right? Talk about live up to the Yorkshire stereotype..

I've lived in Cornwall; if you want a proper pasty you go off the beaten track. The hundreds of 'traditional pasty' shops in places like Newquay and Penzance just serve up cheap rubbish for tourists, no better than Greggs.

I've had some terrible pasties in Cornwall; the Proper Pasty shop up here might not be as good as the best places in Cornwall, but it's better than the £2.50 pasty shops on the seafront that rip off the 'as tha got parkin fert afters' type of tourist.

More to the point.. who really cares anyway? No one forces you to buy a pasty from them right? Talk about live up to the Yorkshire stereotype..

:hihi: Do you prefer the Cornish one?