Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Anyone had problems with maggots since moving to fortnightly bin collections? my neighbors cant seem to get there head around the whole bin collection change and in the second week after collection they leave bags of rubbish on their back garden, meaning maggots all over mine and their garden.... anyone else having this problem??

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=85&RPID=184386&HPID=184386&%24LO%24=1&TPID=184388&$LO$=1PLEASE SIGN MY E-PETITION

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=85&RPID=184386&HPID=184386&%24LO%24=1&TPID=184388&$LO$=1

After a lengthy queue monday morning at the local tip to dispose of my garden rubbish i decided to start this petition.

Talking to the "tip" workers, it seems the MAJORITY of people are finding the new system difficult. They said;

The council is only keeping the blue bins for the huge profit they make (but refuse to invest)

Fly tipping is on the increase

there is not enough staff to man the tips

people are bringing household rubbish & garden waste

for the 20 workers, there are 10 managers, this is where your council tax is going people of Sheffield. and you get to use your own car and fuel to dispose of your own waste for the privilege.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT...SIGN THE PETITION

Edited by Becca_lu

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=85&RPID=184386&HPID=184386&%24LO%24=1&TPID=184388&$LO$=1PLEASE SIGN MY E-PETITION

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=85&RPID=184386&HPID=184386&%24LO%24=1&TPID=184388&$LO$=1

After a lengthy queue monday morning at the local tip to dispose of my garden rubbish i decided to start this petition.

Talking to the "tip" workers, it seems the MAJORITY of people are finding the new system difficult. They said;

The council is only keeping the blue bins for the huge profit they make (but refuse to invest)

Fly tipping is on the increase

there is not enough staff to man the tips

people are bringing household rubbish & garden waste

for the 20 workers, there are 10 managers, this is where your council tax is going people of Sheffield. and you get to use your own car and fuel to dispose of your own waste for the privilege.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT...SIGN THE PETITION

All this according to tip workers. No self interest there at all then.

A number of people have overfilled their bins and have not had their bins collected, so what do they do? put their excess rubbish into other peoples bins.

So now the responsible people not only have their own 2 weeks of rubbish, but also have other peoples excess rubbish. So maybe in 2 weeks, the responsible/careful bin users won't have their bins emptied.

Plus wheelie bin thefts are dramatically on the increase ( I too had mine pinched ) so it must be costing a fortune replacing stolen wheelie bins

All this according to tip workers. No self interest there at all then.

With an increased work load , obviously the tip workers are going to asking for extra staff . You cant cut bin collections by 50% ,then cut staffing levels at the one place where all uncollected 50% of household rubbish is going to end up. Or you one of those people living on cloud Cuckoo land who thinks that cutting bin collections by 50% will mean householders will produce 50 % less waste. ?

My only gripe is that there is no consideration for disabled people who through no fault of their own have more disposable waste. When I contacted them they said I didn't qualify for a larger bin but could have a weekly collection for clinical waste. Isn't that more expensive than just giving me a slightly larger bin?

there are three categories of 'clinical waste'

'potentially offensive but low(er) risk of infection' waste that goes into 'tiger bags' this is mainly stuff like used incontinence pads, disposable linen / washclothes etc ... ironically stuff that often goes into domestic waste at home

'risk of infection ' clinical waste which goes in orange bags - often blood contaminated stuff or disposables from people with certain infections ... this can ewither be incinerated or go for alternative treatments

' highly infectious or identifiable tissue' which goes into yellow bags / containers and must be incinerated

then therer are different categories or sharps and medicines waste plus readioactive medicla waste and cytotoxic medical waste which is subject to additional handling and disposal concerns

The limitation to the collection of large items (my disability means that I break stuff, a lot) is going to be a problem too, I don't understand how a disabled non-driver is supposed to get to the recycling centres.

I've also been told by my neighbour that he's been refused entry to the recycling centre in the past because he was in a work's truck (his employer's) even though the contents were his own personal items for disposal; I'm sure they could take a look and tell the difference between personal items and a company trying to tip commercial waste?

does the council via veolia not offer a collection service for large items ? we've previously had a poster on the thread who claims he routinely misuses his waste carrier;s licence to take things to domestic tips

as for the works van issue ... exactly what is trade waste and what is personal waste ? a builder could generate 'trade waste' that looks like domestic waste - e.g. when they purchase a property that has been left with the last resident's personal effects in it ...

isn't it time this post is dropped now after all this time. its not going to change so get used to it or be better at recycling your crap the people of sheffield get used to it we in chesterfield went through the same thing but we soon got used to it so please mr moderator put a end to this post its going on longer than the archers on radio 4