Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

but at the end of the day we pay for service and changing it to fortnightly that is cutting a service we pay the same price

Absolutely correct.

I'm paying more for my energy, my bank, my food etc. Would you not expect the same to happen to council services?

If any parts of the city stink it's every bit as much down to the residents in that area as to the council, whatever it's political colour. It's not rocket science to organise a clean up of your own back yard, nor to help out with a little friendly co-operation between neighbours if any are infirm. If the lid is kept firmly closed it's hard for flies and vermin to get in. It's not difficult to disinfect if they do.

Tackling where all these mountains of rubbish are coming from in the first place might help. There are big disparities in quantities produced between apparently similar sized families. How do some carry so much waste into their houses in the first place? That's one way to tackle the issue.

Nail. head. hit.

Oh and the bit of the city that I live in smells fine. It isn't affected by fly tipping and there are no overflowing bins/ bin thefts as far as I can see.

With a bit of organisation and effort its possible to manage a fortnight without a smelly bin ,ours gets emptyd on friday and mine is two thirds full and not at all smelly,Dog poo now goes into a small bin with a liner and a lid at the top of garden and will be put in at the last minute.Left over food what the dog cant have is well wrapped and binned.We have no flys or maggots,when the bin has been emptyd i just throw a bowlfull of washing up water and bleach and brush it round leave it uptipped for a bit and its fine.

As some have said other citys manage why cant we ,its because some just cant be bothered

Oh and i did my fair share of moaning about it at first but you just have to get on with it..

With a bit of organisation and effort its possible to manage a fortnight without a smelly bin ,ours gets emptyd on friday and mine is two thirds full and not at all smelly,Dog poo now goes into a small bin with a liner and a lid at the top of garden and will be put in at the last minute.Left over food what the dog cant have is well wrapped and binned.We have no flys or maggots,when the bin has been emptyd i just throw a bowlfull of washing up water and bleach and brush it round leave it uptipped for a bit and its fine.

As some have said other citys manage why cant we ,its because some just cant be bothered

Oh and i did my fair share of moaning about it at first but you just have to get on with it..

Surprisingly - and with fingers crossed - we (family of four + dog) - have managed thus far. We live on a road full of codgers whose priority in the autumn of their lives is be to be the first to get their bin on the pavement ready for the morning's collection. Which is a signal to me to get the 'correct' bin out.

In fact, the blue bin - reserved for empty beer bottles, plastic bottles and cans - has only once been full to overflowing. The black bin - everything else - has hardly gone above three-quarters full.

The only serious problem I can envisage is around Christmas time when we are snowed under with packaging, excess food waste and, hopefully, millions of empty beer and champagne bottles!

So, at this household at least, all seems tickety-boo.

For now.

If the lid is kept firmly closed it's hard for flies and vermin to get in. It's not difficult to disinfect if they do.

Tackling where all these mountains of rubbish are coming from in the first place might help. .

Very difficult to achieve when the bin is full after 5 or 6 days ,and you still have over a week until its emptied,and you have to try and force more bin bags into an already full bin. The lid is bound to be open is this situation.

Very difficult to achieve when the bin is full after 5 or 6 days ,and you still have over a week until its emptied,and you have to try and force more bin bags into an already full bin. The lid is bound to be open is this situation.

Well you cant have it both ways,either put up with the smell and vermin,or pull your finger out and recycle your waste.

Have you not been given a blue bin and box.

Yes - and they are practically empty (could probably be collected every two months) - because I don't drink fizzy pop, lots of alcohol, eat out of tins and jars so nothing for the blue bin.

Nor do I eat pizza or ready meals - so nothing for the blue box.

My food waste is made up of fresh fruit cartons, tomotoe trays, passata cartons, fresh juices and milk etc ..........non of which can be put in either of the blue things provided.

Edited by pottedplant