Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

isn't it time this post is dropped now after all this time. its not going to change so get used to it or be better at recycling your crap the people of sheffield get used to it we in chesterfield went through the same thing but we soon got used to it so please mr moderator put a end to this post its going on longer than the archers on radio 4

Here's a thought- you could simply stop reading it :)

It seems a tad lazy of you to be asking for a thread (which clearly other people are interested in reading/posting on) to be removed, simply to save you the bother of remembering not to click on it.

Yes yours is but in general are bins accessible to anyone throughout Sheffield. Are people likely to wander down a garden path, open a gate and dispose of their rubbish.

So people who support this, are now assuming that the ones who create mountains of rubbish are going to

1) suddenly stop creating mountains of rubbish and become respsonsible

2) begin to recycle

Are you seriously trying to say this will change people's behavior?

Or do you think the irresponsible will

1) use their neighbours bin

2) or fly tip

My guess is use their neighbours bin (as happens to me). I cannot guard the bin 24 hours a day as unfortunatly I have to leave the home to earn a living.

We have had a bin stolen, and when I rang veola for a new one, we have to wait at least 10 days because (apparently) hundreds and hundreds of other people have also had their bins stolen.

Its like when the experts try to justify things, they say "well it will encourage responsible behavior", absolute nonsence, your average man on the street predicted it would create a fly tipping problem.

The fact is, more problems have been created - and as such more jobs will need to be created to solve the problem. Was all this an accident and did the powers that be not see this coming? of course they saw it coming, more jobs on the horizon which is why it was encouraged

The people in charge are not stupid. Its like (on another subject) the parking schemes in parks, car users begin to park on nearby roads, so hey presto another residents parking scheme needed = so more jobs. The following year, we up the car parking charges for the residents and now we have another tax on the residents

Edited by Shef_Fitness

our black bin wasn't emptied yesterday, rang veolia and they said there was still time for them to come, told them either end of street had been emptied, but about 10 bins had been left, but this didn't matter.

rang again this morning to be told it will probably be monday now when it will get emptied and it is already full. i don't understand how they can empty the bins at either end of road and the roads leading off ours, but leave the middle bit out.

So people who support this, are now assuming that the ones who create mountains of rubbish are going to

2) begin to recycle

2) or fly tip

My guess is use their neighbours bin (as happens to me). I cannot guard the bin 24 hours a day as unfortunatly I have to leave the home to earn a living.

We have had a bin stolen, and when I rang veola for a new one, we have to wait at least 10 days because (apparently) hundreds and hundreds of other people have also had their bins stolen.

Its like when the experts try to justify things, they say "well it will encourage responsible behavior", absolute nonsence, your average man on the street predicted it would create a fly tipping problem.

The fact is, more problems have been created - and as such more jobs will need to be created to solve the problem. Was all this an accident and did the powers that be not see this coming? of course they saw it coming, more jobs on the horizon which is why it was encouraged

The people in charge are not stupid. Its like (on another subject) the parking schemes in parks, car users begin to park on nearby roads, so hey presto another residents parking scheme needed = so more jobs. The following year, we up the car parking charges for the residents and now we have another tax on the residents

I don't know what all of this is about, I questioned the validity of your belief that everyone will use their neighbours bin that's all and i'm not sure what it is i'm allegedly in support of. The fact that you are on fortnightly collections is of no consequence much as the fact that you are limited as to when you need to dump any excess.

In answer to the question of what will the irresponsible do. I think the lazy and the ignorant will fly tip out of mock protest and sheer stupidity.

Edited by Kerrangaroo

Fly tipping is happening, using neighbours bins IS happening, tips problems are happening.

No amount of "tut tut well recycle more" is gonna change that.

Not sure where u would live where neighbours cannot access your bin? Maybe a long private drive? But most people put them out onto the roadside for collection BESIDE their neighbours bin, easy to access.

2) begin to recycle

2) or fly tip

How do you believe the rest of the country copes? Like myself I think that around half the country not has their black bin emptied every two weeks, I haven't found it too tricky; so why should Sheffield?

How do you believe the rest of the country copes? Like myself I think that around half the country not has their black bin emptied every two weeks, I haven't found it too tricky; so why should Sheffield?

This has been said throughout by lots of us who aren't in Sheffield.

In a few months time will it all be quiet and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about?

Or will Sheffield be festering in it's own filth of overflowing bins, bin fights and flytipped rubbish everywhere, and people asking "Why is Sheffield so different to everywhere else, why are they so filthy?".

Fly tipping is happening, using neighbours bins IS happening, tips problems are happening.

No amount of "tut tut well recycle more" is gonna change that.

Not sure where u would live where neighbours cannot access your bin? Maybe a long private drive? But most people put them out onto the roadside for collection BESIDE their neighbours bin, easy to access.

Once the bins are out for collection they're either full or have space for more rubbish, so what difference can it make.