The Queen, God Bless Her

How do you know this? Been reading the Express again?

A little bit of research would educate you.

"Katherine and Nerissa Bowes-Lyon, then aged 15 and 22 respectively, had been secretly placed in Earlswood mental hospital in 1941 by their parents and had, to all intents and purposes, been abandoned. There is no record of either woman ever receiving a family visit and in the 1963 edition of Burke's Peerage the royal family claimed that both women had died in 1961 when in fact they were both still alive. Nerissa died in 1986 with just a few nurses attending her burial in a pauper's grave and it was her death that prompted the media feeding frenzy the following year. To round it off, the Queen Mother was a patron of the mental health charity, Mencap."

"Katherine and Nerissa Bowes-Lyon, then aged 15 and 22 respectively, had been secretly placed in Earlswood mental hospital in 1941 by their parents and had, to all intents and purposes, been abandoned ..."

What's this got to do with the Queen? It's sad that her maternal cousins parents put them in home and left them there, but as others have said it was the custom at the time. Seems from what I just read that they never had any visitors after about 1960, after their mother died, which seems probable.

If I thought you cared about the two sisters in any genuine way, I 'd take it, but you seem like one of these persons that'll use any stick to beat someone with if you dont like them.

Yes, and do you know what happened to them? They were locked away out of sight and out of mind. Totally forgotten about, totally abandoned. God bless the Royal Family eh?

that's a little unfair, that's what everyone used to do with the mentally ill and disabled.

those attitudes started to change in the mid 80s with wider understanding that human rights applied to everyone even the weak and vulnerable and the appearance of "care in the community" which closed all the homes

Edited by andyofborg

"Katherine and Nerissa Bowes-Lyon, then aged 15 and 22 respectively, had been secretly placed in Earlswood mental hospital in 1941 by their parents and had, to all intents and purposes, been abandoned. There is no record of either woman ever receiving a family visit and in the 1963 edition of Burke's Peerage the royal family claimed that both women had died in 1961 when in fact they were both still alive. Nerissa died in 1986 with just a few nurses attending her burial in a pauper's grave and it was her death that prompted the media feeding frenzy the following year. To round it off, the Queen Mother was a patron of the mental health charity, Mencap."

i remember reading about those in class war magazine back in the 80s

Considering she's 84 she looks pretty good and obviously has the constitution of a horse.

She was very attractive looking in her younger days.

I though the same of Maggie Thatcher. PPWWAAAAA

I saw a recent programme about this .It made me so angry.I know that many people with learning disabilities were put away and forgotten about in those days .It wasn't just the Royals who did it . The Queen mother, as patron of MENCAP, a charity that campaigns for the rights of people with learning disabilities should have come clean and at least publicly recognised them as as family members.

Yes, and do you know what happened to them? They were locked away out of sight and out of mind. Totally forgotten about, totally abandoned. God bless the Royal Family eh?

Yes I know exactly what happened to them, and I would never condone it, but how they looked was not their own or anyone elses fault

Well I'm no monarchist but I just can't help it - maybe it's because she reminds me of my own grandmothers who both died 20 years ago - when she smiles or laughs, I can't take my eyes off her. I think she looks as good now as she has ever done.

Blimey, I'll be buying the Daily Express next.

But weren't you calling people thick the other day?

Only you Mecky, and only after you had proved it.

Im perfectly well aware of this muck raking article. Very many families in this country have stories like this, is was standard practice at the time. Mental illness in a family was considered something to be ashamed of.

To try to attribute blame on the queen for being distantly related to the people who did this is, as I said earlier, pathetic.

Well I'm no monarchist but I just can't help it - maybe it's because she reminds me of my own grandmothers who both died 20 years ago - when she smiles or laughs, I can't take my eyes off her. I think she looks as good now as she has ever done.

Blimey, I'll be buying the Daily Express next.

That's made me laugh now! :) But I know what you mean, she's like everyone's mother/grandmother. I can't remember a time without her being around. Although the Queen Mother was the same, and we soon forgot all about her didn't we? The only person we'll never be allowed to forget is that drama queen, Diana.

Meanwhile, in other news - I knew that blasted pageant would be the finish of one of em ... Philip's in the hossie!

That's made me laugh now! :) But I know what you mean, she's like everyone's mother/grandmother. I can't remember a time without her being around. Although the Queen Mother was the same, and we soon forgot all about her didn't we? The only person we'll never be allowed to forget is that drama queen, Diana.

Meanwhile, in other news - I knew that blasted pageant would be the finish of one of em ... Philip's in the hossie!

Is he? Wasn't he in hospital recently? He looked to be enjoying it the most, other than Camilla.

The Queen Mother was a vile woman, an embittered shrew with some very dodgy politics. Thank God my late beloved paternal grandmother was nothing like her!