Sick of Speeding Motorists

Which proves strongly supports the likelihood that drivers regularly break the limit, but by good luck, driving skill, or the evasive action of others, they have avoided accidents ............

Does that cover it?

So... have you used that defence in court? I'm fairy certain it wouldn't fly, however "competent" a driver anyone is.

No. I have never been to court. The canny driver never gets caught for speeding.;)

So... have you used that defence in court? I'm fairy certain it wouldn't fly, however "competent" a driver anyone is.

I don't think he was suggesting that breaking the speed limit wasn't a crime, he was just saying that driver competence is more important. I agree, although clearly we need speed limits due to the competency of some drivers

Check crashmap: http://http://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search

Quick search shows several since 2005, including a fatal

The fatal accident would not have been prevented by any speed camera (or a man in yellow jacket with a hair dryer) ... it was effectively a suicide.

There is also a pedestrian crossing at the top of the hill by one school and a lollypop lady by the other school. Pretty safe for the kids even if people do go over 30.

As someone has already mentioned... the u-turners by the coop (especially the old codgers!) are more of a problem.

Rules like laws are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Some people are far better drivers than others and should regard the speed limits merely as a guideline. It does not matter if they speed just so long as they drive safely.:)

Duplicate post

Edited by DT Ralge

Rules like laws are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Some people are far better drivers than others and should regard the speed limits merely as a guideline. It does not matter if they speed just so long as they drive safely.:)

Whilst we will agree that driving to any limit does not necessarily qualify as "competent" or "safe" I am uncomfortable with the notion that some drivers can do what they want in ignoring a law because they, somehow, stand head and shoulders over the "average" driver.

What identifiable qualities, skills and attributes go towards such "competence"? Who judges these drivers' competence level? How do the authorities recognose such talent?

Is "competence" determined by "I've never hit anything or maimed anyone"? Problem is, that's the vast bulk of us since the driving environment is very forgiving of incompetence. Do you think that ALL those drivers who have been involved today in an injury collision (550 on average), serious injury (55) or road fatality (5 or 6) considered themselves incompetent before today?

Your sentiment of "some drivers can handle it, the law is not really for them" has also been used no doubt by drink-drivers so it is way off-target.

I'm tempted to put on a high visibility jacket and hold a hair dryer (which might be mistaken for a speed gun) pointing towards traffic to get them to slow down - is this legal or will I get in trouble for impersonating a police officer? Any ideas on how to get people to slow down would be much appreciated.

You wont get done for impersonating a police officer but you will get laughed at

Life is too short to think of a sensible post for this topic.

Angel.

Why would you wish to be sensible? Have you decided to change the habits of a lifetime or something?:hihi:

You seem to know a lot about other members for someone who joined the forum yesterday.

Whoooooooo...its Sherlock! It is possible to read the forum without actually joining? Just as it is possible to open ones mouth without thinking?:cool:

Of course you did.

I'm sure when you quote that to the officer when he pulls you over, he'll let you on your merry way!

And no doubt swell the governments coffers during these hard times .:roll:

Only if you speed.