Sick of Speeding Motorists

Rules like laws are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Some people are far better drivers than others and should regard the speed limits merely as a guideline. It does not matter if they speed just so long as they drive safely.:)

Duplicate post

Edited by DT Ralge

Rules like laws are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Some people are far better drivers than others and should regard the speed limits merely as a guideline. It does not matter if they speed just so long as they drive safely.:)

Whilst we will agree that driving to any limit does not necessarily qualify as "competent" or "safe" I am uncomfortable with the notion that some drivers can do what they want in ignoring a law because they, somehow, stand head and shoulders over the "average" driver.

What identifiable qualities, skills and attributes go towards such "competence"? Who judges these drivers' competence level? How do the authorities recognose such talent?

Is "competence" determined by "I've never hit anything or maimed anyone"? Problem is, that's the vast bulk of us since the driving environment is very forgiving of incompetence. Do you think that ALL those drivers who have been involved today in an injury collision (550 on average), serious injury (55) or road fatality (5 or 6) considered themselves incompetent before today?

Your sentiment of "some drivers can handle it, the law is not really for them" has also been used no doubt by drink-drivers so it is way off-target.

I'm tempted to put on a high visibility jacket and hold a hair dryer (which might be mistaken for a speed gun) pointing towards traffic to get them to slow down - is this legal or will I get in trouble for impersonating a police officer? Any ideas on how to get people to slow down would be much appreciated.

You wont get done for impersonating a police officer but you will get laughed at

I'm sure when you quote that to the officer when he pulls you over, he'll let you on your merry way!

Good drivers will always be aware of their driving competence level once that they have had a few years driving experience. The driving "professionals" will always attempt to set themselves above others as that is how they scrape a living. The fact remains that there are drivers with many different competence levels on the road and some are much safer driving at speed than others.

Driving "professionals" will of course cloud that fact with irrelevant statistics.

"Some are much safer at speed until it goes wrong in an entirely random way" was my point. Over-confidence because of past performance is no guarantee of future performance and can amouint to nothing more than rank arrogance.