Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

Is a car a luxury or a necessity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

• luxury
    • necessity

And it would be impossible for you to live in Worksop because?

I never said it was impossible, I just don't want to live there, kids are settled in school, all mine and the wifes friends & family live in Sheffield including my disabled Mother, so I'd still need a car that is necessery

My work takes me nationwide, Kent this week , Manchester next, with a big van full of stuff. The isn't alot of chOice in that really.

Most people don't welcome a long commute but don't often have the choice. Say your relocated. Do you chuck in the pension or move forcing your partner to try and get another job and kids a new school ?

Not that easy. I think more people are moving to smaller more efficient cars which is a good thing.

Edited by tinfoilhat

My work takes me nationwide, Kent this week , Manchester next, with a big van full of stuff. The isn't alot of ch
You in such a rush you couldn't finish the post? :o

Your job really does keep you busy

“I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.”

Stannis Baratheon

One of mine is a necessity as i drive for a living and its impossible for me to cover my area by bus.

The other two are luxuries and the OH job selection was based on access to a vehicle, if she had no car she'd have to change jobs to a location accessible by public transport.

No problem - except for the other public transport users who's job she might take.

I never moan about the cost of car ownership,its my choice.

I never said it was impossible, I just don't want to live there, kids are settled in school, all mine and the wifes friends & family live in Sheffield including my disabled Mother, so I'd still need a car that is necessery

So you've made choices that make it impractical to not have a car - fair enough.

Having a disabled mother doesn't affect it - people had disabled mothers before cars were invented.

My work takes me nationwide, Kent this week , Manchester next, with a big van full of stuff. The isn't alot of chOice in that really.

There's nothing in the OP about businesses delivering stuff in vans.

Most people don't welcome a long commute but don't often have the choice. Say your relocated. Do you chuck in the pension or move forcing your partner to try and get another job and kids a new school ?

Or they could get a job nearer home. People do have choices and have to prioritise the things they think are most important. If they make choices about home location and schools that mean they have a long commute it was still their choice - so not a necessity.

Not that easy. I think more people are moving to smaller more efficient cars which is a good thing.

It is good but I'm not sure it helps with congestion much.

So you've made choices that make it impractical to not have a car - fair enough.

Having a disabled mother doesn't affect it - people had disabled mothers before cars were invented.

Do you think he should:

A)give up his job and hope he gets another locally

B)keep his job and move his kids and m in l

C)keep his car

Now the essay question.:D

If car ownership was outlawed to ww2 levels only the richband people like doctors had them would that be better or worse for our economy now ?

If going to work is a luxury then its a Luxury.Many people do jobs in places and times the car is the only way.

Once there may have been factories and industry that locals could cycle or walk to to earn a crust,that just isnt the case any more and many HAVE to travel to work at all and there is no other option feasable but the car.

There's nothing in the OP about businesses delivering stuff in vans.

Or they could get a job nearer home. People do have choices and have to prioritise the things they think are most important. If they make choices about home location and schools that mean they have a long commute it was still their choice - so not a necessity.

It is good but I'm not sure it helps with congestion much.

Alot of the conjestion has been designed over the last 10 years or so by the road planners how else are they going to get in road pricing if theres no conjestion?