Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

Is a car a luxury or a necessity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

• luxury
    • necessity

Ah, so what you're saying is that you could use public transport but you're too snobbish to do so?

You don't say why cars are a necessity these days. You give your location as S35, which is Chapeltown, where the last I checked there are regular bus and train services. What makes you think your cars are necessities then?

(I agree with you about global warming being a con though!)

There is a very large flaw in your whole argument here.

People using the railways already pay a huge amount for the privilidge, but despite this the taxpayer still has to chip in £6200 million because rail fares come nowhere near covering the costs.

Furthermore only 12% of people use the railways and the trains are overcrowded. So if passenger numbers doubled we would need to double up on track, trains, staff, land useage and subsidy. If 50% of the population were to use railways the subsidy would need to be quadrupled and half the country covered in tracks.

Then of course when that nice Bob Crow from the union decied not to run the trains the country would grind to a halt. So I would say take up the tracks and let cars run on them. Save the subsidies and tell Bob Crow to clear off to North Korea.

But still not taxed heavily enough. If the price of petrol is too high, why are the roads clogged up and traffic continuing to increase year on year?

Its because people can't rely on public transport. They go on strike when people most need them. Would you use public transport to get to the Olympics after that bone head called for unions to strike and disrupt he games?

Its because people can't rely on public transport. They go on strike when people most need them. Would you use public transport to get to the Olympics after that bone head called for unions to strike and disrupt he games?

I think you spend too much time reading the tabloids. When was the last public transport strike in Sheffield when all buses, trains and trams stopped running. I can't remember this ever happening!

There is a very large flaw in your whole argument here.

People using the railways already pay a huge amount for the privilidge, but despite this the taxpayer still has to chip in £6200 million because rail fares come nowhere near covering the costs.

Furthermore only 12% of people use the railways and the trains are overcrowded. So if passenger numbers doubled we would need to double up on track, trains, staff, land useage and subsidy. If 50% of the population were to use railways the subsidy would need to be quadrupled and half the country covered in tracks.

The wider issue here is not whether people should stop using their cars and start getting the train, it's more a question of why people need to commute at all.

Perhaps people might think about actually living within walking distance of their place of work, like they did before car ownership became so common.

Also, with the growth of technology, there's no reason why many office based people shouldn't be allowed to work from home for at least part of the week.

The wider issue here is not whether people should stop using their cars and start getting the train, it's more a question of why people need to commute at all.

Perhaps people might think about actually living within walking distance of their place of work, like they did before car ownership became so common.

Also, with the growth of technology, there's no reason why many office based people shouldn't be allowed to work from home for at least part of the week.

I think there are alot of people who could walk or commute by public transport in Sheffield. Just look at the forest of flats !!

BUT, let's face it, in the current climate moving job and keeping the same salary is a pipe dream for most people.

I think you spend too much time reading the tabloids. When was the last public transport strike in Sheffield when all buses, trains and trams stopped running. I can't remember this ever happening!

I think you must occupy a very small world. I've had holidays disrupted when unions called strikes at British Airways. I've also had travel disrupted by strikes on London Underground. That's quite enough to tell me I don't need to put my faith in any transport system that relies on the good will of some commie nutter unless I really need to.

I have to use airlines but won't fly BA, and when I go to the Olympics I won't be using London Transport.

As I live outside Sheffield the frequency of the local industrial disputes is of no consequence to me. I'll use taxis or a private car when I need to get into the town.

I think you must occupy a very small world. I've had holidays disrupted when unions called strikes at British Airways. I've also had travel disrupted by strikes on London Underground. That's quite enough to tell me I don't need to put my faith in any transport system that relies on the good will of some commie nutter unless I really need to.

I have to use airlines but won't fly BA, and when I go to the Olympics I won't be using London Transport.

As I live outside Sheffield the frequency of the local industrial disputes is of no consequence to me. I'll use taxis or a private car when I need to get into the town.

I can't see the relevance of bringing holidays and plane strikes into a discussion about whether a car is a necessity. How many people do you know who commute by plane?

As for the Olympics, you won't have any choice about whether to use public transport or not. Unless you're staying within walking distance public transport will be the only way to get there.

How many people do you know who commute by plane?

As for the Olympics, you won't have any choice about whether to use public transport or not. Unless you're staying within walking distance public transport will be the only way to get there.

We have no intention of using public transport unless we have too. I hope the union mad men do try to disrupt things as it will show the total futility of relying on a public transport system.

Wasn't that when half the workforce were making wooden wheels for wagons?

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to live in the same place as their workforce, or for that matter where trucks arrive with deliveries or to collect product.

I have managed without a car in the past, but lots of life becomes very limited and inaccessible when I have to try to get about by public transport. I live close to a tram stop, but on anything other than a good day I still can't get there and back without having to stop more than once due to the pain of walking. Add the same (or more) distance on the other end of my journey and that means that going out at all is a problem.

Archived