South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

Originally posted by alexdave67

She doesn't live in a bad area but YOU DO!

Woodhouse, isn't that where all the Gypsy's have been re-housed? The Badger estate!

And just what did I do to deserve that abuse?

Originally posted by alexdave67

She doesn't live in a bad area but YOU DO!

Woodhouse, isn't that where all the Gypsy's have been re-housed? The Badger estate!

Hmmm, Charnock, now that is right up there with Dore and Millhouses is'nt it!.

Woodhouse is a big estate and it differs from one part to another (like most estates).

I'd been led to believe Woodhouse was a village with several estates in it.

I heard that they have recently invested in a new police chopper - the old one was a bit long in the tooth. It was apparently second hand anyway after being scratched in a crash that made it an insurance write(sp?) off.

Don't know how new the 'new one' is though.

The pilots must hate this time of the year - with all the fireworks being aimed at them??

The pilots are ex military with thousands of hours in command and will not be bothered by a few scroats and their fireworks.

Originally posted by jan2002

I work quite near the base of our cities Police Helicopter

I see it passing over towards the City centre regulary

Twice in the past half an hour

Question to you is

Do you think the results justify the cost ?

I don't know the figure for either but perhaps you folks might,

and I would be interested in your opinion:thumbsup:

The time of your post (4.45 approx, on a Saturday afternoon in October) is more or less the time that the football supporters turn out, (from whatever ground)

So the helicopter would heve been deployed for 2 reasons, one, to make sure that the traffic flows as freely as possible with 20K or so supporters and their cars leaving the footballl ground. secondly, the Eye in the sky can see whether there's any trouble "kicking off", and direct the resources (the coppers on the ground) to the place that they are needed. they have the advantage of an overall view, where the coppers on the ground can only see the immediate area around them.

When I lived on the Manor, the chopper was over our little development regularly, chasing the "joy"- riding little scroates. The road beside our house was part of the scroates' "brands-hatch circuit", where they'd drive round, at speed and "pull donuts" and handbrake turns, etc.

Whilst the noise could be a nuisance, in the middle of the night, it was also reassuring that the police had the chopper and could track and catch the scroates. (the helicopter could track/trail the scroates over terrain where the police cars could not necessarily follow, e.g. down alleys if the scroates had "decamped" from the car, and dispersed)

I had heard that, in the first 12 months, of the police chopper being operational, the incidence of "joy"-riding on the manor had gone down by something like 50% and other crime, particularly associated crime, had gone down proportionately.

I think that the police chopper is a brilliant thing. and if it continues to be as successful as it has been thus-far, then "more power to it's elbow!", I say! if it's catching the scroates, then it's got to be worth it!

PT

Originally posted by HarrietStar

i think 'traffic cops' shows the impact the helicopter has :)

theire all traffic cops i dont kwow any other

thy dont get any profit any where else

I heard that the new helicopter is the one they used in Airwolf.

They have a dormant volcanoe up at the airport which they store it in.

Originally posted by awoollen

theire all traffic cops i dont kwow any other

thy dont get any profit any where else

erm not sure what your talking about..."profits" ??!! As a serving police officer, I take a great pride in locking up burglars, muggers, bogus officials, etc. But when you have had to scrape someone up off the road because the car that hit them was going too fast to stop in time, let me tell you, it is not "profits" that is going through your mind.

I work near Donny (finningley) airport and have noticed the helicopter going in and out a lot recently.

With Sheffield airport closing, does that mean the chopper's moving to Donny..?

Sheffield loses another opportunity..?!

I think that's very unlikely - Doncaster's at the wrong end of the county for the helicopter to give rapid coverage to all of South Yorkshire. And the Airport is still there!

I thought it was only used by helicopters but i've seen quite a few light aircraft taking off recently?

The police helicopter is a valuable resource and whilst I wouldn't mind Doncaser having it's own, I'd like to keep our police helicopter in Sheffield as Sheffield is a large city and benefits from this valuable resource in helping the police track and catch a range of offenders.