South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

how much do they want for it?

oh crap, I was stood out on the front having a cig the other night, I like to look at the stars, when the chopper came into view, and just hovered there awhile, I waved (I hope they didn't think I was being funny), was nice to watch it just hovering, I suspected the flashing was photo's being taken, I was tempted to strike some poses. But thought nah, it's too cold, just wanna finish me cig and get in.

Someone once told me he had been 'chased' by the police helicopter and, to confuse it, he ran into a field with cows in it. He then got on one of the cows backs and laid as low as he could. He boasted the helicopter could not locate him, and eventually flew off. If he was lying to me, then I am lying to you.

my mate work in it as the navigator , ill ask him , he should know , i know its very unreliable and costs a fortune to fix

They're probably just having it replaced with a new(er) one. Cheshire has a plane (!) but that's just been replaced by a second hand chopper from another force IIRC.

I can see them moving to smaller cheaper UAV systems.

Before long we will see a proliferation of civil and police drones overhead.

Although it was grounded shortly afterwards by the CAA as the operators (Merseyside Police) did not have a licence (ignorance of the law is no defence, guys)

Someone once told me he had been 'chased' by the police helicopter and, to confuse it, he ran into a field with cows in it. He then got on one of the cows backs and laid as low as he could. He boasted the helicopter could not locate him, and eventually flew off. If he was lying to me, then I am lying to you.

Someone once told me that he had been chased by the copper chopper and to confuse them he ran into a field full of pigs, the helicopter landed in the field in order to reestablish contact....you can make up your own ending!:hihi::hihi:

Someone has called me and in passing mentioned that we are to lose the copper chopper to save costs, has anyone heard anything about this?:mad:

Even though it is expensive to run, it is worth having!:(

Excellent...post up the eBay link when you have it. Might put a cheeky bid in - would be handy for days like today since I have a cold, cycling to work was a real chore

I've not heard. Definately helps catch crooks. But there again I think half of them knick cars and the like just to have the chopper follow them. To them it's worth a few months inside.

Towers scattered around the city with dome on them that open up from a central command centre. They open up and up flies the UAV triangulating with other UAV's they track and send back data to the command centre where they relay the information to police on the ground to enable arrest before a'fly by wire'return to its tower where the auto re fuelling takes place.

Lamp posts scattered around the city with sound detection devices which pick up the vibration of fleeing vehicles and that data too is triangulated with software to give real time locations,speed and software predictions of possible routes and destinations of suspects. Lamp posts at key locations with cameras also which along with the sound detection lamp posts have mac addresses and send their encrypted data down through the electricity wires where its unscrambled

It won't be too long before its part of our reality, They could do it for years and get away with it as reconnaissance work as long as it was kept quiet not be allowed admissible as evidence in court. The laws are already being put in place to make something like this happen if it isn't already.