South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

Originally posted by morris1

I

With Sheffield airport closing, does that mean the chopper's moving to Donny..?

I don't think the police chopper parks up at Sheffield airport anyway does it ? Think it lives at a police base somewhere.

I think its been used for 'air cover' when theyve been ferrying these G8 people from the airport to Sheffield....There were suggestions about moving it to Doncaster but the last I heard it wouldnt happen because of traffic control issues ie planes landing/taking off at the same time as the helicopter.

I don't think the police chopper parks up at Sheffield airport anyway does it ? Think it lives at a police base somewhere.

It lives at the Police base next to Sheffield Airport, next door to carcraft.

Just wondered where it will go 'cos ive heard the airport was gunna close and have an industrial estate on it..

People in Donny must get ****** off though, paying council tax towards it, and it spending all the time in Sheffield..!

Maybe THEY should move.... :)

Surely the best place for it is close to the arterial roads through the region, i.e. near the M1 and M18, so that lets Doncaster out.

Surely the best place for it is close to the arterial roads through the region, i.e. near the M1 and M18, so that lets Doncaster out

Didnt think it needed roads.... doesnt it just fly in straight lines..:confused:

Or am i thinking too logically

For that matter, what about the junctions with M18 /A1(M)/ M180 / M62... all at t'other (Donny) side of county..

Just a thought.;)

:hihi:

I mean for chasing car thieves! They are the ones who use the roads to get out of the county ;) The helicopter's primary role (I thought) was for chasing them :thumbsup:

When the Police helicopter is overhead, I always give it a wave. I thought this was perfectly normal behaviour, until I did yesterday and the friend who was sitting with me in the garden laughed and asked if I always waved?

I think it's rude not to - do you agree?

I think it's better than the shaken fists they probably get because of the noise. Hopefully though, they won't think you're signalling a distress call.

I think its ok to wave to the police helicopter - on rare occasions if they are low enough they do actually wave back!!

I think it's better than the shaken fists they probably get because of the noise. Hopefully though, they won't think you're signalling a distress call.

Nah - they wouldn't think that, I always smile when I wave :hihi:

I'll continue to wave... until the CIA repair and return my faulty Stinger SAM launcher :cool: